Sign in to follow this  
qUiLL

Flashback...couple years

i remember back when i first was waiting for OPF, a year before it game out and i was checking the website everyday for new updates everyday and looking at the forums how i would've kiled to play that game as well as many other people like me (vikingo smile.gif)

now it almost feels as if i was waiting for a different game....funny how when you look at a game through screenshots and videos it looks so incredible and once you are ingame and you play it for a long while it almost seems as if it always existed and that never happened. i mean i seriously remember when we would drool over screenshots of the ZSU sights or of the A10 cockpit...and now over 1 year after its release and a while after its expansions release and we dont even give a second thought about it. (we all take it for granted hehe) thinking about that helps me reconnect with the eager side of my brain that wants to play....

speaking of waiting for games, when are we gonna see some OPF2 screenies? tounge.gif

ofp2 screenines, well in my imagination i couldnt really see them too different to ofps ones now cos of the fact that u still cant run it on high very well with the ebst of machines, wat it would most likey be is ofp with things like better clippin, more gunners on vechicles thas what i think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (qUiLL @ Nov. 06 2002,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i remember back when i first was waiting for OPF, a year before it game out and i was checking the website everyday for new updates everyday and looking at the forums how i would've kiled to play that game as well as many other people like me (vikingo smile.gif)

now it almost feels as if i was waiting for a different game....funny how when you look at a game through screenshots and videos it looks so incredible and once you are ingame and you play it for a long while it almost seems as if it always existed and that never happened. i mean i seriously remember when we would drool over screenshots of the ZSU sights or of the A10 cockpit...and now over 1 year after its release and a while after its expansions release and we dont even give a second thought about it. (we all take it for granted hehe) thinking about that helps me reconnect with the eager side of my brain that wants to play....

speaking of waiting for games, when are we gonna see some OPF2 screenies? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I kind of got the same feeling, after about six months... but I immediately found other avenues that are great in OFP, mission design, scripting etc. And I never get bored of well designed MP missions. That puts all the great stuff in OFP up front again.

When all else fails, downloading new addons and making little missions with them can be exciting. wink.gif

And really, there is hardly any day that goes by when I don't think "I can't believe they pulled all of this off", and "this is exactly what I was looking for"

biggrin.gif

OFP is solid game. I'm sure that when some historian starts to study PC game in future, he/she will undoubtly mention OFP as one of the most significant games.

it's been a yr and 2 months since I got my OFP, and it's still my favorite game. no game has spent on my HDD as long as this and as often played. that same old feeling.... smile.gif

and my that damn same old lack of skills. mad.gif

I remember I saw a video of a massive battle. Soldiers , tanks and some choppers all over the area and I thought inside "is this for real?".

I agree with Quill; I am taking alot of OFP's details for granted today, but I must say I am still having the same amount of fun today as I had march 21st 2001 biggrin.gif (the pub.demo arrived).

One of the reasons I still like OFP just as much today as the first time is probably my experience with the mission-editor. If I find something missing in a mission or if I want a specific mission, then I just make it.

May OFP live forever smile.gif

Oh, i was just thinking about that today. I just installed OFP demo again and completed Ambush. I really enjoyed, although 1.85 is really a lot better. Gameplay is at least 50% better. You guys should try the demo. You would see how much work has been done.

It`s also absolutely remarkable, how BIS interacted with us while the update-testing. If we found a problem they fixed it. And still today they are here and help us. That`s great!! smile.gif

Most of my other games provide me with no or very small support, BIS is completely different. This keeps OFP alive!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 07 2002,05:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no game has spent on my HDD as long as this and as often played.<span id='postcolor'>

Most time spent on HDD and played:

1. US Navy Fighters/Marines Fighters Exp.

2. Civilization 1.

3. Operation Flashpoint.

Third aint too bad at all considering the amount of games that have been on my hard drive.

I got fond memories of making demo missions and playing the hell outa the demo wink.gif theres just not enough time in the day And BIS's support/upgrade's are truely exceptional

Hmmm the game does have its own magic... it keeps drawing me back to it biggrin.gif

For example about 6 months after i had the game I was still loving it! but when something screwed up my driver for some reason i couldnt play most games online without it dis connecteing me. After playing for ages against human oponents online i found the ai rather boring and so i lost interest and started playing Counter-strike too much tounge.gif But one magical day i installed a driver update and flashpoint could be played online once again!!! I was jumping for joy and have been ever since.

Anyway back to the topic. FLASHPOINT IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!! ANYONE WHO INSULTS IT DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR BONES BROKEN tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ Nov. 07 2002,21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ANYONE WHO INSULTS IT DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR BONES BROKEN tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, tell me where they are!!! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

ANYONE WHO INSULTS IT DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR BONES BROKEN

<span id='postcolor'>

...by rolling T80 tracks... tounge.gif

Totally agree with you guys, Flashpoint is the most significant game to come out since Half Life!

I mean I borrowed Medal of Honour:AA from my friend a few games ago and cannot see what the hype is all about, a bad playstation crossover.

Flashpoint just pushes the boundaries of imagined gameplay and possibilties for variance.

BIS have been spectactular with the patches and the forum administrators have been helpful. All Hail the mighty BIS!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ Nov. 07 2002,21:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For example about 6 months after i had the game I was still loving it!  but when something screwed up my driver for some reason i couldnt play most games online without it dis connecteing me.  After playing for ages against human oponents online i found the ai rather boring and so i lost interest and started playing Counter-strike too much tounge.gif  But one magical day i installed a driver update and flashpoint could be played online once again!!!  I was jumping for joy and have been ever since.<span id='postcolor'>

Erm, you could've formatted your Windows & Games partition, or your whole HDD altogether and install Windows XP on the machine... A HDD sweep is good. And your OF wouldve run smoother.

All Hail The Format.

This way, you would'nt have to play Counter-Strike against the increasing horde of kiddies populating the servers today. I gave up on CS sad.gif

Dont get me wrong, great game, but the community sometimes confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Erm, you could've formatted your Windows & Games partition, or your whole HDD altogether and install Windows XP on the machine... A HDD sweep is good. And your OF wouldve run smoother.<span id='postcolor'>

Your forgetting im an idiot with an empty wallet lol tounge.gif

And yes Congrats to BIS for their endless support and if you havent got it yet, buy resistance because even though you have to buy it to get Nogova and stuff its for a worthy cause and will keep bis in buisness wink.gif

Its been over a year, and OFP (and Resistance) is still on my HD. Even though I don't play it as much as I want to anymore, I still consider it my favorite game of all time. smile.gif

-MJM

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Nov. 08 2002,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I protect my userfiles which include all my completed veteran campaigns like gold!!!<span id='postcolor'>

I think that's a psychological disorder I studied once. tounge.gif

I'm trying to find ways to get away from OFP... I'm beginning to live on one of the maps I think. sad.gif

Agree with you all, I have played it at least once a week since it came out, normally its more than once a week, i also played MOHAA and i thought it was crap, i got bored after 4 hours (thats how long it took to complete). Same with SOF2, but it lasted a bit longer (1 month).

OFP rules!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (qUiLL @ Nov. 08 2002,05:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

ANYONE WHO INSULTS IT DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR BONES BROKEN  

<span id='postcolor'>

...by rolling T80 tracks... tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

deserves to live in a bush haunted by sqeaky BMP tracks tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm trying to find ways to get away from OFP... I'm beginning to live on one of the maps I think. <span id='postcolor'>

You think thats crazy??? Before playing multiplayer just about everyday i load up nogova and go to exactly the same spot(near modrava) and walk around the forests as civilian...

BIS please release a game that isnt as appealing as flashpoint... i dont think i could take another one!!! AHHHHH ITS KILLING ME!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zodi4c @ Nov. 08 2002,12:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This way, you would'nt have to play Counter-Strike against the increasing horde of kiddies populating the servers today.<span id='postcolor'>

"I`ll gonna bunnyhop-kill ya!!!" mad.gif

I will always think of OFP as the first FPS to really change the way I used to look at FPS games (arcade, fun but not realistic). Too bad no other game comes close to OFP even today  biggrin.gif

OFP 2 ? We know if it comes out, it will have all of the features from OFP 1985 plus tons of more, better graphics, better AI and so on.

But like when making a really good movie (like E.T.), no sequal would be a wise choise too IMO. They are working on Independence Lost, which I consider some kind of a sequal.

Edit: I made that sound bad.. what I mean is, I´d rather prefer Independence Lost than OFP 2, if you know what I mean this time.