_leech

Editing a mod map

I'm making a big coop mission and i'd like to completely re-design a mod map, remove objects, change texture and so on.

I know how to extract the .pbo files and how to view/edit .paa texture files. So where do i go from here?

I'd like to finally save the map as another version of the original map (save it as a mod)

Also, how to i open/view the .p3d files that i extracted from the .pbo?

Thanks alot !

You'll need permission from the original terrain creator and the sources to be able to modify it. Not sure about retexturing.

I will of course credit the original maker, but i just want to use my version of the map in context with my mission. Is there no way of editing it without the 'sources'??

• Like 1

no, credit is not what is meant with "asking for permission". Either you have permission, or you don't - in which case that map is off limits.

• Like 2

My intention is making making another version of the map with the awareness that i did not create it, i just changed it. Everything that's on the internet should allowed to fiddle and tweak with. Fuck copyright. As long as you don't think that you are-/pretend to be the original creator.

• Like 1

You need permission, that's not the way you think it should ou shouldn't be, that's how it is.

• Like 1

Everything that's on the internet should allowed to fiddle and tweak with. Fuck copyright.

Grow up before posting again, please.

I swear to god, people like you will be the end of community projects one day...

• Like 2

I think it's very mature to despise copyright. If you know that you're the original creator of a map, then what's the problem with having people Expanding community projects with multiple versions of for example this map with the subtext/credit "Original creator ___ ". If you put things up on the internet where everyone have access to it, you must know that that might happen. The internet is chaos anyways.

I think it's very mature to despise copyright.[...] The internet is chaos anyways.

Things are fucked up, let's fuck them up even more, right?

Talk about maturity, seriously...

EDIT : you might wanna read this by the way : https://forums.bistudio.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Oh but you read it before posting, didn't ya?

I think it's very mature to despise copyright. If you know that you're the original creator of a map, then what's the problem with having people Expanding community projects with multiple versions of for example this map with the subtext/credit "Original creator ___ ". If you put things up on the internet where everyone have access to it, you must know that that might happen. The internet is chaos anyways.

Unfortunately as much as you feel that way, this forum has particular guidelines and has operated in such a way since OFP was released.

Posting addon/mod other content without permission:

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community. People work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. You must get permission to alter someone else's work, to mirror their work or to use it in any way other than for personal use. Without permission please do not edit, mirror, add to your mod pack or edit and share around your private squad.

Unfortunately we cannot control what people do outside of these forums. However, on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission, and we receive a complaint, the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved. Participation in this behavior comes with the risk of being permanently banned from these forums. Get permission by communicating with the original content creator(s).

Failure to follow forum rules may result in forum penalties been issued :ph34r:

I don't wanna fuck things up, i just want better quality maps. The map i want to change is really shitty textured and so on which is why i want to change it. No i did not read that since i just joined, but i see that this forum clearly don't allow that.... So i guess i won't get my point across here.

• Like 1

I don't wanna fuck things up, i just want better quality maps. The map i want to change is really shitty textured and so on which is why i want to change it. No i did not read that since i just joined, but i see that this forum clearly don't allow that.... So i guess i won't get my point across here.

Well to help us to help you so to speak. Which map/island is not to your liking? We maybe able to find the original map author and ask for permission.

It also sounds like island in question was from a previous version of Arma, so its quite likely it won't match well against Arma3 technology. But at the time it was probably perfectly fine. 

Well i like the map very much! The map is Thirsk Winter. The problem is that all the stones/buildings don't have snow on them and totally stand out.. I would like to add snow to them and change some of the structures/objects. Also, the map is full of huge rocks which stand out and i would like to fiddle with them as well.

Here's a quick snow texture i just made that i would like to add to the rocks:

2222.png (something like this)

Here are the rocks i would like to texture:

20161020171458_1.jpg

And i'd like to fiddle with these enormous rocks:

20161020171541_1.jpg

If you could ask the author for permission that would be amazing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, i did some searching (which admittedly didn't take long).

Thread of the map is here - https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/93360-thirsk-island/

Author of the map is here https://forums.bistudio.com/user/756754-raunhofer/

Author has a website which and has a contact information page http://raunhofer.net/contact.php?active=contact

Author is also a member of LDD Kyllikki a well known Arma Squad - http://www.kyllikki.fi/?p=memberview&member=Raunhofer 

I would suggest using the email address found on the authors website or contacting him on the forums on the LDD Kyllikki

• Like 1

Alright thanks alot. I'll try writing him an email. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Ok, so i wrote him a mail and he gave me permission to make my own version of the map as long as it states that its a modification of the original map (which i would have stated anyways).

But he didn't have the source files..

So back to my original question:

Is it possible to use edit the files extracted from the pbo's - add textures, remove objects and so on.. And then pack them back to a pbo and create a new/edited map? - without the source files?

• Like 1

join the arma discord and contact me there

• Like 2

I have the same problem. I want to modify the map Beketov, like i want to delete buildings and all of those things and the creator of Beketov even wrote that modifying the map is allowed for personal use...BUT, I dont know how to get the files needed for it and I dont know how to modify the map so if someone can help me please!