lightspeed_aust

Mission makers - a proposal for furniture/object placement template

As you all know,  it's painstaking populating the islands with furniture and other clutter to bring missions to life.

I noticed a mission maker just now talking about how he had placed objects in all the rooms for his mission.

Light bulb moment! :yikes:

Would anyone be interested in collaborating on populating Tanoa with clutter.

It's easy enough to do - if you pick a part of the island, say a village that you're making a mission for then populate the village with furniture and other objects, then we merge it into a central template which I can take care of an place on this site.

I don't think it will take long until we have an island.

Will get too laggy, you say? The way I would do it is to keep the furniture mission template clean - save it as a new mission - remove all the furniture/objects from the area I'm not using.

Thoughts??

• Like 2

Will get too laggy, you say? The way I would do it is to keep the furniture mission template clean - save it as a new mission - remove all the furniture/objects from the area I'm not using.

It could be possible, however lag within the editor would be my biggest concern. I placed about 1,000 trees in the editor from the CUP Terrains addon and the lag within the editor itself became so extreme that editing became very difficult. Once in the mission lag or frame drop was minimal and normal, but all of those objects being registered by the editor really made it choppy and hard to work with after that. Obviously deleting what you won't be using before you get started with editing will help some, but at editor start up the lag could be quite extreme. Only one way to find out though.

I think we would definitely need some well defined scoping to contain what might become a beast.

I would say first up as an example (seeing as you mentioned trees), that it would be man made objects and buildings only - no vegetation.

I would go for urban areas only but maybe we should use this as a place to post what people have to offer or plan to build and see if it will fit.

If it gets too big to manage we might section it off into regions or isles.

I think the priority should be buildings filled with furniture and objects outside houses.

• Like 1

I mentioned trees simply as an example. I imagine thousands of interior objects will cause very similar conditions.

I also placed thousands of weeds from CUP in another mission, and while the lag in the editor wasn't quite as significant as it was with the trees, it was still very noticeable and made editing beyond that point rather cumbersome.

I know you mentioned it as an example :) I just used your example ;) hence the need to scope what is placed.

If anything you could split the template itself into major regions, map quadrants or regions. Seems like the sort of issue that could use reconsideration when it becomes important.

Map compositions (a few for each house type etc...) are also an option although that seems like its outside the scope of what you mention.

Hey lightspeed, great idea mate. 

In my spare time I've been working on code to dynamically spawn furniture into houses only when the player is near them, and despawn it otherwise. This allows for apparently furnished houses with little CPU hit. The basic concept works well but actually finding appropriate places for furniture is a pain in the arse.

One thing that would vastly improve this system is if there was a template for each enterable house class, with defined positions for table, chairs, bedding, desks, suitcases, supplies etc.  That way an ambient furniture script could randomly select appropriate stuff for each defined position. The template would just be an array of modeltoworld offsets for each house.

• Like 2

Yes tpw method would make a lot of sense. Use a script to create furniture when players are nearby based on building class/filename. You could use multiple templates per building class, with a seeded random to make sure each instance uses the same furniture for any particular mission,

I love this idea and I'm eagerly awaiting what you guys will come up with (sadly, I can't dedicate any time for contribution myself :().