Sign in to follow this  
Broseph_Stalin90

AI mods still needed?

As I get back into Arma, I'm feeling the need to ask if there is any need for AI mods at this point? I still use ASR AI, but that and a lot of other AI mods haven't been updated in some time, which lead me to believe perhaps default AI is good in an Arma game for once? If not, then what is the AI mod most tend to use at this point?

I usually use some form of AI adjustment - at the very least I like to tweak the skills (I like high skills but a lower chance of an actual hit, to prolong gameplay).

Aside from that I find DAC and ALiVE to be quite effective AI modifiers, as well as generally good for gameplay. I suspect ACE also has some tweaks & additions too. I like it when I see some enemy unit go down, but I'm never quite sure that he's actually dead.

I usually use some form of AI adjustment - at the very least I like to tweak the skills (I like high skills but a lower chance of an actual hit, to prolong gameplay).

Aside from that I find DAC and ALiVE to be quite effective AI modifiers, as well as generally good for gameplay. I suspect ACE also has some tweaks & additions too. I like it when I see some enemy unit go down, but I'm never quite[/] sure that he's actually dead.

http://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/ai.html

Oh Arma and your AI. ACE isn't too single player friendly is it? Or is it modular enough to take certain things such as the AI module?

Honestly the vanilla AI at its current state does a lot that ASR does, and in my opinion is not worth adding the script load to the game. VCOM still shines well, as AI will use both Darters, and set up heavy statics as well nearly fixes all driving issues with AI.

If your looking to simulate platoon or even company level combat. Look know further then HETMAN. It supports every AI type and utilizes them properly with the exception of Heavy weapons and UAVs. AliVe provides a larger scale and less demanding simulation, but you won't find yourself being strategically ordered to much aside from just "here is a task". 

At it's current state, vanilla is pretty good. And from what I've been seeing from the videos of Apex, it's getting better. I've been using vanilla on a campaign playthough and it's working pretty good. They still don't throw smoke as often, but it's better then it was. The biggest issue I've had with AI mods is they mess with waypoints and sometimes cause the AI to do weird things in SP, which is mainly why I ditched most of them. VCOM is being updated right now though, and I'm really looking forward to it. ACE and SP don't pay to well together, so I would stay away from that combo.

• Like 1

The AI mods that work really well, are those that are made for the players to use in their mission making, so integral AI mods. Not as an add-on type thing for random missions.

GL3/4/5 would be one of these, imo. I don't have much experience with other A3 AI mods.

GL5 as it is now, is publically available (which helps) and its very good, if used well. But many players just want to play either the stock campaign or player made mission/campaigns and have those mission/campaigns play out with 'exceptional AI'. Unfortunately your not really going to get that, if whichever mission/campaign your playing, isn't built with that AI mod in mind.

You can build great mission/campaigns around very good AI mods and get very realistic results. Its harder to get those results if you just add-in a random AI mod to missions that are primarily made for the vanilla game.

Also a mix of mods can work very well, but its the time to take for testing these, that can deter players from doing that. All AI mods need testing by the player, to see if they agree with your gaming style and/or don't break anything..

If you understand what I mean there.