HeroesandvillainsOS

[ALiVE, SP/COOP 1-20] Operation Prophet [Insurgency]

Thanks for the reply, the intel wasnt off bodies as I never shot even once. I just went into a building. Heard this radio that was pretty loud and found intel all over the inside of the house. I picked it up and it brough up my map showing i got intel but it didn't seem to do anything. It just was confusing so I ignored it.

Yeah that's on me. I actually wasn't even aware you could interact with a document unless it was coded to do something. While making The Contractor (which is in my signature), I noticed any editor placed document can be "picked up" - which results in this big ass message on the screen saying INTEL DISCOVERED!!! YOU WON THE JACKPOT, BITCH!!! - or some crap kind of like that which is super annoying.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll do something with these items here soon-ish (I have a mission on Takistan kind of like this I'd like to release first).

For now, just focus on the dead bodies and interacting with the locals for your Intel.

Will do, so the real intel i can get off bodies would have some info with it or something like that rather than these accidental intels. 

Oh and i noticed there a huge spider looking thing in the sky when i play. Looks like a spider with legs and such. Is that something I did wrong or something? Looks like somebody is playing the claw game and they will pluck me off the ground. 

LOL! You mean when you look straight up in the sky? Like WAY up directly above your head? Yeah, that's normal. I'm not sure if it's a map thing or what but it's totally normal on Reshmaan. But during normal play you should not see it or be bothered by it.

If it's something worse please share a screenshot.

I'm really surprised you were able to find these places with the documents so fast, Tomtrustworthy. One place would be pretty obvious but I'm thinking you may have found another which would be like a needle in a haystack.

Yes, you have the gist. Intel will drop from dead bodies. You'll see the option to read the Intel in your mouse wheel options. Once you do, areas on the map will light up just like they would from interrogating civilians.

One last thing on my manually placed decorations. I really did not do this in too many places. So it's not like you're going to wonder what is what in every village you clear. The map is enormous and I think I have 2-3 total custom compounds? One being really really not simple to find. Long story short, this won't be an issue. Long story a little longer, every item you find will eventually mean something. I just need a little more time.

I have a general question then. 

How much of this mission is custom stuff? Like when the new map comes out if I wanted to do this sort of mission and I was lucky enough to setup the alive stuff all correctly as you have. What would i not be seeing, since you have put stuff in yourself i assume? 

Would the troops still walk around and tell me stuff, is that part of the alive setup?

I would guess I would have to setup the base and all that, with a box that brings up arsenal. Id have no idea how to make that map thing spawn troops for me tho. 

Generally, most of what you're seeing is all from the power of ALiVE. Very very little is genuinely custom or from other sources (Spyder Addons probably adds the most of the important non-ALiVE features). Honestly, the most time consuming element is building your base/bases and getting the mission balanced well (too easy/too hard/etc).

Spyder Addons adds: The Loadout Manager on the main base. The enemies inside civilian vehicles. The AI recruiter. The ambient animals (the sheeps and stuff. I manually placed the dogs on the FOB). The call to prayer. The ambient civilian traffic. The vehicle spawner. Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.

AuTigerGrad's Ambient Sounds Pack adds: The music and radio sounds you hear around the map.

Xeno's repair/rearm script adds: The repair/rearm station on the main base

3Den Enhanced adds: The ambient animations for the solders at the main base (the ones sitting near the campfire, etc). The Arsenal option at the outposts.

3CB Vehicles adds: The Helicopter Resupply station used for the empty helicopter

ALiVE adds: Everything else. It's a very powerful mod. :)

I'm actually glad you brought up nighttime. BIS adjusted AI night detection values with 1.60. Obviously, since you have night vision and these primitive Taliban do not, this definitely puts you at a major advantage when the cover of darkness is on your side. This is more of a game question rather than a mission question: In your opinion could they see you ok enough? Was nighttime too easy or is it still ok since they spawn in larger numbers?

I definitely like the balance better now versus how it used to be, which was pretty much AI-360-degree-1000-meter-snipe-shots. What's your take on this?

The night-time combat felt believable - the insurgents had trouble spotting my troops until they opened fire outside of town.  Inside town they got the drop on me once (due to streetlights I assume).  Another thing to consider that the time of the mission takes place when the moon is not visible (could have been cloudy, I can't recall) so it was BLACK.  I'm assuming when the moon is out the insurgents have a bit more luck.

Will do, so the real intel i can get off bodies would have some info with it or something like that rather than these accidental intels. 

One gamey trick is to use the Action command on your teammates, scroll through to the end, and see if there's a 'Read Intel' option.  That way your AI can find the intel off the bodies for you.  But, again, it's kind of cheap so use it at your own discretion (or to see what you're looking for)

However, I think the formal way would be to use the logistics sub-menu and request some troops to come in. In the left panel at the bottom is an option you can click before setting their waypoint. Pretty sure it says "Reinforce." 

Last time I checked there wasn't an option to Reinforce or Garisson or anything.  I've seen it on other missions though

• Like 1

One gamey trick is to use the Action command on your teammates, scroll through to the end, and see if there's a 'Read Intel' option. That way your AI can find the intel off the bodies for you. But, again, it's kind of cheap so use it at your own discretion (or to see what you're looking for)

Does that actually reveal the locations on the map? I've tried this but it definitely did not work in the past. Only the player was able to have the Intel "revealed."

The AI seems to try to pick it up ok but beyond that, I'm not sure they're able to get the Intel to show itself. At least it didn't used to but it's also possible the ALiVE team changed it (which would be neat).

Last time I checked there wasn't an option to Reinforce or Garisson or anything. I've seen it on other missions though

I'm not at home but it's possible I just have the wording wrong. I'll pop back in later with what it actually says.

I'm 99% sure after selecting the insertion method, then selecting squad, beneath that you'll see an option you can click that says "reinforce." Or maybe it says "garrison"? I'll check. There's definitely an option there that does this. I use it all the time.

And thanks for the night feedback! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! :)

Played a good deal last night, I decided to not go to the first village. I saw a bigger area on the south western part of the map. The map was huge and I didnt realize that until driving there. Took me forever to get there driving over mountains. 

Once I get there I am being open fired on from a huge temple in the middle of town. I jumped out the vehicle and my guys were using the mounted guns on it but ended up all dying. i took about about 6 guys on foot. I called in reinforcements but they didnt really do much they just stood there. Probly should have tried to make them patrol or something. Ended up dying due to one of my charges being too close to me when I set it off. haha. 

That area was a lot of fun tho. 

• Like 1

I love all the feedback.

So guys I actually have a small update planned but I'm having some issues.

Mainly, is anyone see this error with the new CUP Terrains?:

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels.default'.
It seems to just pop up out of nowhere and it's in all of my missions that I've checked. I'd never ever seen this before and the only thing that changed is CUP getting an update.

The next update will hopefully have genuine Intel in all of the documents I've decorated the map with. I'm having some issues with it but Spyderblack is helping me sort it out (AKA Spyder is writing the functioning code and I'm going to use it :) ).

This error weirds me out though. Is anyone else seeing it with the new CUP Terrains?

I know I did get an error during my 3 hour drive down to that temple but I clicked past it so fast I dont recall what it was. 

• Like 1

I know I did get an error during my 3 hour drive down to that temple but I clicked past it so fast I dont recall what it was.

Cool. As long as it isn't causing any odd behavior in the mission and it's not causing crashes on servers, that's not too too bad then. I'm just really cautious when it comes to errors and get paranoid.

I may suggest -nologs as a startup parameter until I can find the culprit (probably not a bad thing to run on any mission anyway. Unless you are a mission maker or are trying to troubleshoot an issue, it would make little to no sense to have to deal with the pop ups).

I'll have an update soon then. If you were able to put 3 hours in one sitting then I'm sure it's a harmless error.

Thanks Tomtrustworthy! I knew I was right about you and your username! :)

• Like 1

In A3, when you spawn a a large amount of units or vehicles in a short period of time it can cause the game to stutter. In order to solve this issue ALiVE introduced a slow-spawn method that slows down the spawning of profiles in order to eliminate stuttering. Unfortunately, the slow spawn method sometimes breaks the join group feature if the group doesn't spawn fast enough. There are two ways to fix this on our end, one is very hacky and not optimal and the other introduces a potential issue where ALiVE-induced loading screens might never end if coded improperly. It also seems to not work properly when you select a vehicle group to join, I have not been able to solve this part..

So my apologies with that feature being kinda broken  :)

Missed this post earlier, but thanks for the clarification spyder.  It's certainly not a huge deal, and it's good to know I'm not doing something wrong with regards to that feature.

Mainly, is anyone see this error with the new CUP Terrains?:

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels.default'.

Yes, I've been getting it too (not sure if it's been since the CUP update, but that seems likely) but it hasn't caused any crashes or other issues for me.

Quick question: when requesting reinforcements through the Logistics menu, there are options for vehicles and such, but none of the UK vehicles are available.  Is it possible to allow ALIVE to recognize them?

Other than that, things are working pretty darn good.  I try to get a couple hours of play each night (assuming my kids go to bed on time  :P ) and have a great time!

• Like 1

Quick question: when requesting reinforcements through the Logistics menu, there are options for vehicles and such, but none of the UK vehicles are available. Is it possible to allow ALIVE to recognize them?

You know, that's a really good question. So are you basically asking for a way to call in an empty Jackal/Coyote/Foxhound to get delivered to you for a situation when you don't have a vehicle?

I'm actually not sure but I will poke around and see if there's a way to override that in the logistics. I generally just use the vehicle spawner or RTB when I need a ride but yeah that wouldn't help you if you were a million miles from home now would it! :)

Let me see what I can come up with. That's a very good request!

Other than that, things are working pretty darn good. I try to get a couple hours of play each night (assuming my kids go to bed on time :P ) and have a great time!

I appreciate you playing and I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've been in the editor mostly trying to finish up missions on FATA and Takistan. Basically they are like this one, but you'd get to explore new maps! I'm also working on a conventional vanilla-ish playground mission on Altis and another Insurgency on Diyala using Massi's USSOCOM.

I don't have any kids but my cat has this obsession recently with trying to hop in my lap for cuddle-time EVERY DAMN TIME I try to sit down and get some mission-making work done. I wish there was a bed-time for him but unfortunately he doesn't understand. :(

Well now that I know I can get a local server running with TADST I'd sure be interested in trying out some new missions!

• Like 1

Ok! Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just put through a quick update on the first page. I added the ability to call in vehicles with logistics and have added actual intel to the secret documents spread around the map.

Just a quick note on the vehicles thing. To have access to the British vehicles, I had to open it up to giving the player access to all NATO vehicles as well. It's a bit of a compromise but I'm happy to have the British vehicles in. If I can find a method to blacklist all or some of the NATO rigs, I will. I just wanted to push this through

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks for the update! I'll fire it up and give it a try tonight.

• Like 1

I was playing your mission and wanted some quick action rather than searching civ's so i had it generate tasks for me. But every time it made a task to go here and fight once I landed there the task would complete. Looking at the commander map it would show my virtualized troops are there right away. 

Am I doing this wrong or is there an issue with ALIVE?

Also where can i find more info about that arsenal and unit recruitment deal you have at the bases? I know you mentioned what mod controls that but I tried to use it, dropping the modules on the map dont really do what i expected. So just looking where to find more info on those. 

Also where can i find more info about that arsenal and unit recruitment deal you have at the bases? I know you mentioned what mod controls that but I tried to use it, dropping the modules on the map dont really do what i expected. So just looking where to find more info on those. 

Sync the modules to an object to add the action to the object.

I was playing your mission and wanted some quick action rather than searching civ's so i had it generate tasks for me. But every time it made a task to go here and fight once I landed there the task would complete. Looking at the commander map it would show my virtualized troops are there right away.

Am I doing this wrong or is there an issue with ALIVE?

Yeah unfortunately this can happen from time to time. I'm making a conventional battle on Altis and I agree it is frustrating when the objective sounds sweet but it's like a million miles away and then completes right after you gear up and are finally half way to the task. :)

I can ask around the fourms, but here's the thing; ALiVE is a realistic living battlefield. It isn't designed to build action around the player; it's designed to replicate a fierce battle where two (or more) sides want the tides shifting their way.

We are a cog in the wheel. It's one of the best parts of the mod and IMO why it's so remarkable. The only way I can think of to workaround tasks completing on their own would be to reduce the amount of BLUFOR but I take great care in balancing my missions so I don't think the trade-off would be worth it.

I'm also personally not a huge fan of the current task system built into ALiVE, mainly because on A2 maps, a lot of them can fail regardless.

What I personally prefer for shorter play sessions is either joining another friendly group and helping them duke it out (I use the Intel>Unit Marking feature) or doing my own recon with a smaller team and marking my plans for a future longer session with ALiVE's advanced markers (ctrl+alt+left click on the map. Persistence on a dedicated server would obviously be needed for this).

Regarding tasks that work ok and can be enjoyable on A2 maps (when they don't compete before you get there :) ), the destroy vehicle, HVT, assault infantry patrol and basically any military offensive objective works fine. Defend objective, transport troops, destroy the insurgency installation, and civ assault do not (in my experience).

Sync the modules to an object to add the action to the object.

Thanks Spyder.

Yeah Tomtrustworthy, it's Spyder's mod that adds these features and really opens ALiVE up for SP'ers. The vehicle spawner/recruitment spawner/loadout manager all need to be synced to an object to work. Make sure with the Loadout manager module, to only use one module and sync it to multiple objects for multiple loadout managers.

Alternatively, another option for the Virtual Arsenal would be to download 3den Enhanced by R3vo. If you place a Supply Box (NATO) for example in the editor and double click on the object, at the very bottom in the options is an option to make that object a Virtual Arsenal object.

I am not sure if Heroes enabled it in this mission, 

but to get quickly from one location to another with your AI squad, I love to use the ALiVE transport chopper.

If included, you should find it under the combat support options. You are able to call in a transport chopper and let him transport you and your squad to your chosen destination.

You even have to drop smoke to confirm the LZ etc. So it's also really immersive.

When enabled, ALiVE should also be able to deliver small vehicles like MRAPs to your destination via airdrop. 

• Like 1

Yep! It's all enabled. I travel this way too.

To add to FAILIX's tips, keep in mind if you call a transport chopper to "land" and not to "pick (you) up," you won't need to throw down the smoke to get the pilot to touchdown. This is handy knowledge in situations when you're out of smoke in your inventory or know for certain the area is clear and need a quick evac. :)

• Like 1

...keep in mind if you call a transport chopper to "land" and not to "pick (you) up," you won't need to throw down the smoke to get the pilot to touchdown. This is handy knowledge in situations when you're out of smoke in your inventory or know for certain the area is clear and need a quick evac. :)

Oh, didn't really figure this out. I always wondered why I sometimes have to use smoke and sometimes not ;) Good to know!

• Like 1

If anyone feels like testing a mission on either FATA or Takistan, shoot me a PM. This would save me some play-testing time so I can buckle down on my insurgency on Diyala, which I'm hoping to time releasing with the next ALiVE update.

Both missions would use the same mods (aside from the map, obviously).

If anyone feels like testing a mission on either FATA or Takistan, shoot me a PM. This would save me some play-testing time so I can buckle down on my insurgency on Diyala, which I'm hoping to time releasing with the next ALiVE update.

Both missions would use the same mods (aside from the map, obviously).

Traditional missions? If yes, then I wouldn't mind checking them out. 

• Like 1