jimos

Arma 3 life factories

Does anyone know how i would go about adding factories to arma 3 life mods, much like the cherno life mod, i would like to see one with a full player economy ( if anyone knows of a server whcih has this pls let me know so i can join it) where for instance cars would be produce by players, I.E civ mines raw materials > converts to components > Puts components in factory (after purchasing it) Produced car> transports to car shop > sells it to market.

how would i do this ( i have no scripting knowlege) is it easy to do?

if anyone knows of a server whcih has this pls let me know so i can join it

Are you kidding me? You want to know of a server which has this feature so you can just download the mission file and steal it? It is people like you who give 'life' missions a bad name.

There are still people thinking that A3L mod can lead somewhere ?

Are you kidding me? You want to know of a server which has this feature so you can just download the mission file and steal it? It is people like you who give 'life' missions a bad name.

its not stealing, everything modders create belongs to BIS since we're just rearranging their stuff like lego.

:D

Please mdcclxxvi, let's not make this thread into another one of those debates over who owns the scripts. The bottom line is, this guy wants to steal someone else's hard work. 

• Like 2

Please mdcclxxvi, let's not make this thread into another one of those debates over who owns the scripts. The bottom line is, this guy wants to steal someone else's hard work. 

There is always someone to throw oil on fire...

Maybe a bit off topic but: Why is so common to read people without any scripting knowledge trying to build their own Life Servers or KOTH alike? Is it because of server monetization?

Maybe a bit off topic but: Why is so common to read people without any scripting knowledge trying to build their own Life Servers or KOTH alike? Is it because of server monetization?

popularity and social value. not really the financial reward, at least not at the beginning. also since the majority of A3 players are casual Life/KotH players, seems logical that most people looking at getting into modding will come from that background.

also my above comment was an attempt at being facetious and sarcastic ;) we've tread this ground before

If you're using normal Altis Life code (The non modded one) all that would be required is using some of the code from the normal shops that allow you to sell materials and if you sell a certain amount in a combination to a seller it would then spawn a car. Or you could just be able to "BUY" cars with resource instead of cash. Pretty cool concept actually, surprised its not already somewhere.

Also, in regards to how much this community seems to flame when new scripters', obviously from the Altis Life/KOTH areas of ArmA, come to learn about new stuff and instantly get flamed for liking a gametype is pretty pathetic.

No I don't like Altis Life either nor the majority of community owners of Life servers etc because most of the time its a shitfest of stealing.

But if someone comes looking for help and, like this guy, has a reasonably original idea, atleast give him/her a chance.

• Like 5

It's not about flaming, it's about the newcomers having reasonably answerable questions. Posing a broadscale "I want something super unique and awesome, but I don't know anything!" and just hoping that someone serves you everything on a silver platter is not how it works.

It's just sensible to first start to actually  try and tackle the issue oneself. Then, once you hit actually concrete issues, you will find a lot of help here. Questions like OP only warrant broad/vague answers right now:

Yes, it is possible to do what you want (very little isn't possible). The rough approach would be sth. like willithappen outlined. Neither is your project ridiculously difficult to accomplish, so it's a good starter, actually. However, it's not gonna be easy if you have no idea about scripting. So I suggest you "get an idea" about scripting. There's no way around that if you want to achieve anything, and you can will have a much better foundation to ask questions on. :)

• Like 4

It's lazy people trying to mooch off others and get money. It is despicable.

And the caliber of people you find in those communities is akin to drunk, drug addicts, and plain old morons, pretending to be PhD's in computer science.

And they have no clue about software engineering, or their motivations for managing a community is their lack of control in their own life and try to exert it into a videogame.

Also I am no longer phased about code theft. The fact they steal it shows how utterly unintelligent they are and how incompetent they are at even basic scripting.
It is childish and sad. I have managed an Altis Life server before, it attracts all the wrong people.

Ones who have the mental facilities of a child and play a roleplay game distant from reality and lack the ability to grow up it reminds me of children

in a daycare center playing cops and robbers or "house".

And the code theft? Watch me laugh when there entire server breaks down because of flooding the scheduler with unamanged, messy inefficient code, purely because they've bogged the engine down so much,
and the 30 FPS, or less performance because of the SQL database choking itself from the scheduler being full all the time or called code the locks up an entire server because it went into an infinite-loop.

• Like 1

If you want to learn about arma scripting (writing sqf), I have many resources in my signature

If you're using normal Altis Life code (The non modded one) all that would be required is using some of the code from the normal shops that allow you to sell materials and if you sell a certain amount in a combination to a seller it would then spawn a car. Or you could just be able to "BUY" cars with resource instead of cash. Pretty cool concept actually, surprised its not already somewhere.

Also, in regards to how much this community seems to flame when new scripters', obviously from the Altis Life/KOTH areas of ArmA, come to learn about new stuff and instantly get flamed for liking a gametype is pretty pathetic.

No I don't like Altis Life either nor the majority of community owners of Life servers etc because most of the time its a shitfest of stealing.

But if someone comes looking for help and, like this guy, has a reasonably original idea, atleast give him/her a chance.

I think you'll find a lot of people are willing to help new scripters. The problem with this specific individual is that he asked if there is another server he can 'steal' said factory system from. That is where we have an issue.

Also if he wants factories ArmA 3 comes with a bunch of them.

Use the diesel power plants, they emulate factories pretty well.

I also refuse to help, people with Altis Life or ArmA 3 Life.

Goto the Altis Life forums and ask them.

I think you'll find a lot of people are willing to help new scripters. The problem with this specific individual is that he asked if there is another server he can 'steal' said factory system from. That is where we have an issue.

I think if you are going to be coming on this part of the forums asking questions about any manner of problem, atleast show a few things like:

1) What you've already tried

2) why what you've already tried doesn't work

3) How you'd like to improve what you've already accomplished

It's not about flaming, it's about the newcomers having reasonably answerable questions. Posing a broadscale "I want something super unique and awesome, but I don't know anything!" and just hoping that someone serves you everything on a silver platter is not how it works.

And hence why most of the time anyone who does ask that sort of question is responded with debates like this.

And if anyone does respond they just lead you in the right direction. I don't believe anyone has ever seen a question like this and gone and dumped a fully written code exactly how the OP has asked.

One of the many joys of problem solving.
Take a short course online in
Top-down and Bottom up approaches to programming, can help immensely.
Algorithmic Analysis can help improve the speed of your code,

understanding functions can allow you to design debug tools, me myself wrote a simple debug-tool that allowed me to call any globally or local script variable.

and depending on 1,2,3,4 outputs in A. hint box, B. rpt, C. GlobalChat

and depending on if it was local or global would return true / false and tell you the machine it was executed on. isDedicated check, isServer or hasInterface

If I don't have the tools I require, I make tools.

On 3/2/2016 at 4:36 AM, MrCopyright said:

Listen, to someone like me who wants to create his own work but doesn't understand the coding and wants to learn how it was done, you have to look at the code. The information is non existent and when you ask for help you get a condescending remark like yours. Needless to say it doesn't move the community forward,  I don't blame the community for this, I blame BIS for making it Difficult for people who want a mission that involves more than a spawn point and a vehicle. 

you realize that even if you got all the code and managed to put it in your mission file it's still going to be broken and require a heep of coding to make it work, Its Like stealing a broken flat screen that you have to fix before you can use it. 

Edited by Dr. Rick Titball
  • Like 1

@Dr. Rick Titball, there is nothing wrong with looking at other people's code to learn from it. That's how I learned years ago. My problem was that the OP wanted to know if there was a server with those specific features so he could download their mission. He stated he had no scripting knowledge. Therefore, he wasn't going to learn from that downloaded code, he wanted to put it on his mission. And with regards to you blaming BI for "making it difficult to create missions", that is completely ludicrous. Scripting a mission is an advanced form of mission creation, which allows the creator far more freedom. You can't just blame the game developers because scripting is a naturally difficult skill to learn. Perhaps these "life" servers shouldn't contemplate editing their missions if they have absolutely no knowledge on the subject. You shouldn't run before you can walk. 

Excuse me, how is a paragraph an eyesore? Would you rather I construct my reply in bullet points so you can actually understand it next time?

• Like 2