sic-disaster

Death Scream Mod (looking for voice-actors)

Hello all,

Today I'd like to take the time to officially announce a mod me and Degmancro of these forums are working on. The mod will add faction-specific death screams, with the overall goal being humanization of all the troops in ArmA 3. It is heavily inspired by the death screams of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (we will incorporate some of them into the mod, because they are incredible). The base code was made by Laxemann.

ArmA is a realistic game, but it always struck me as odd to have soldiers just fall over without a sound when you shoot them. Now with the mod, there will be a huge variety of screams. As it stands we have close to 50 different sounds, and they differ in length from 1 second to 30 seconds. The majority of them are 'generic' short ones, simple screams, but some of them are long and are spoken.

To give you a bit of an idea, this is an older video from ArmA 2 where I tried to add it to some of the missions I was making (but which required the sounds to be added to each mission, making them too bloated file-size):

It is incredible how much it adds to the game, to have soldiers react to being hit. And while, like I said, most of the screams are short and simple, some will hopefully stop you in your tracks and contemplate what just happened.

In addition, I'm working on a single player campaign to go along with the mod. I'm not sure how long it will be yet, but as it stands 4 missions are finished for one faction, the AAF. The idea is to give each faction a few missions of it's own, so the player has a chance to get to know the character of each side, and to see that they are truly not that different from one another. They are simply people who are caught up in a sequence of bad events.

However, here is where you come in: we are looking for voice-actors to add both more screams, and to provide voice-overs for any spoken dialogue in the missions. I'm especially hoping to find some Farsi-speaking people to provide me with sounds specific to CSAT. It's a lot easier to find English speakers, but we want to have the original spoken language for each side. 

However, it is important that the sound is clean, with no static noise or background noise of any kind. 

Eventually we would also like to support other community-made factions. One might think of the CUP mod, and the Russians from ArmA 2. 

Features:

- Faction-specific death screams, + a whole bunch 'generic' ones

- A single player campaign to go along with it

• Like 6

I've actually been waiting for a mod like this for a long time, the default death sounds are rather derpy.

• Like 1

I have a few volunteers already, which is great! But I'm still looking for more. Particularly Farsi-speaking people, I want you! If you have an accent that is anything other than American/English, that is perfectly fine too! I can use you for the AAF!

Tell your mates, and if you're interested in helping out, send me a PM with a sample of what you can do.

If you want to help anyone else with this in the future as well, consider joining a Steam group I've set up for voice acting volunteers! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VoiceActingVolunteers

It is heavily inspired by the death screams of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (we will incorporate some of them into the mod, because they are incredible.

The mod itself is a great idea; using Tripwire's content isn't.  You're on the right track with recruiting people to record original content, go with that.

• Like 1

Work on the mod continues, and at the moment it supports faction-specific screams.

@six_ten, sorry for the late reply but I've been traveling and didn't see it until I figured it was time to necro this thread lol. Anyway, I figure that since no money is being made with this mod and credits will be given, it will be ok. At any rate, RO's sounds will be labeled as RO's  so if we do need to remove it for whatever reason, it will be easy to find them and do so. But as far as I'm concerned they are too excellent to pass up (they are the biggest inspiration for this mod, because they sent chills down my spine when I first heard them, and they still do after hundreds of hours of playing that game), at least until I can find some actors to get a decent set of screams so they won't grow too repetitive. I recorded about 16 myself so far, but I need more, and preferably from a wide group of people so you won't hear the same voices over and over again. 

I am still looking for people who can speak Farsi, Chinese and whatever it is the Tanoans speak! If you have a good mic and some acting talent (we're not going for comedy here), please send me a message. The mod needs you!

• Like 9

I am still looking for people who can speak Farsi, Chinese and whatever it is the Tanoans speak!

French ;) Looking forward to this!

That's not how copyright works.

I figure that since no money is being made with this mod and credits will be given, it will be ok.

• Like 1

Yeah, I would not use RO's voices either, as six_ten says. You can't just port them out of the game and use elsewhere like that, as they belong to Tripwire. I think there was a similar case with the Star Wars mod some time ago? Where Disney cracked down on them for just using the franchise.

But as far as I'm concerned they are too excellent to pass up (they are the biggest inspiration for this mod, because they sent chills down my spine when I first heard them, and they still do after hundreds of hours of playing that game)

Either way, best of luck with the mod! It does feel odd when people die off silently, though I imagine death screams can also be too much. As I think they were in RO2.

Yeah, you most probably can't use sounds from RO and use them in a competing game within a similar genre. 'You want to hear our sounds? buy our game' would be RO's sensible response. I would either get their explicit performance or remove the sounds beforehand

to avoid nasty cease-and-desist's and some false advertising in your mod with too-good-to-be-true sounds that you could reasonable have known that you would have to remove eventually. You mod (idea) is very good, I don't think you need RO.

Please notice that this is completely different from let's say using StarWars sounds in a fan film, because those fan films will never compete with the real movies, possibly only strengtening them, and the friendly attitude towards allowing people to use StarWars content is very exceptional.