giallustio

Smooth problem

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to modeling and i'm having a big problem with my first rifle.

I'm using blender and i export the model directly in p3d. All work fine except for this:

https://gyazo.com/40aaf888e5cf023f52d9b575c854bef8

In Substance Painter it looks totally fine:

https://gyazo.com/2b6f23029505620e22338547fe2e707d

I tried to export the model in fbx too, no joy.

Can anyone help me?

try exporting as OBJ or 3rds, or if you want as FBX , make sure:

1. binormals are not exported

2. mesh is triangulated

3. there is no 2nd UV set used

It has nothing to do with your normals tex map, it has everything to do with your smooth groups (or hard soft edges)

Those faces look pretty small. I'm fairly certain there's a bug in O2/Object Builder where it will not smooth edges on some faces with small surface area - they automatically harden upon saving the mesh after import and wont smooth out

It effects these screws on my LDS scope model and I believe it also effects the corners on your Glock 17's slide PuFu

Can check and see if the edges didn't get split somehow by selecting all of them and clicking \Points\Merge Near\ with an appropriately small threshold value to wld everything together if it is indeed split. Then see if you can manually smooth the faces out by selecting the affected faces and tapping [I] shortcut. If they cannot be smoothed at all, I figure it's this small faces bug.

good point, will have a look laters on, afaik it is related to FBX plug-in, i-ll see if shit changes if i use a different file format, or try to export it directly as p3d.

not sure if .3ds is an option for blender, but from what i know it is the most bug free import option...

according to kiory .fbx is as faulty as .obj in that regard

Those faces look pretty small. I'm fairly certain there's a bug in O2/Object Builder where it will not smooth edges on some faces with small surface area - they automatically harden upon saving the mesh after import and wont smooth out

It effects these screws on my LDS scope model and I believe it also effects the corners on your Glock 17's slide PuFu

Can check and see if the edges didn't get split somehow by selecting all of them and clicking \Points\Merge Near\ with an appropriately small threshold value to wld everything together if it is indeed split. Then see if you can manually smooth the faces out by selecting the affected faces and tapping [I] shortcut. If they cannot be smoothed at all, I figure it's this small faces bug.

I tried it with 0.00000000000001, then , no changes.

I tried to use the autodetect and then , it worked but i lost some face of course.

It seems to be a bug then or a limitation.

I tried it with 0.01, then , no changes.

that's way too small... that's 1E-14 meters, which is less then a picometer... Objectbuilder does not have that precision. Try something more sane like 0.1mm

The default of 0.001 (I think, I'm going from memory) should be more than adequate.

Tried, no changes. I've also checked the number of verts from OB and Blender, they're the same. The only fix possible is to reduce the number of edges and re-apply the smooth