batis4

Cold War Enhanced

Congratulations for this very unusual mod! This is probably finest example of out-of-the-box thinking in modding OFP/CWA!

Now, because it's an alpha, I'll list some of the issues I found. I hope I won't repeat anything You know already.

• no firing sound for Remington 700
  • error when firing Ingram and XMS (sound-related)
  • no zoom on M21 ART scope (main feature of this sight in RL and OFP)
  • target shillouette on ACOG reticle
  • magic error on US BlackOp (missing model for aim_sd - probably weapon sight)
  • several times game became unresponsive and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it or make hard reset. This can be a little annoying because of FWatch sortmissions stuff (moving original missions to another folder) - hopefully no data was lost (just run CWE once again and close it - or move stuff manually). I suppose this may be related to performance/memory.
  • terrain quality - when opening video options menu, terrain quality goes back to actual settings (instead of hi quality set by CWE). I suppose this is not a wanted behaviour (if it was, then what's the point of forcing hi quality again?)

The biggest issue is performance. CWE forces high quality settings on everything. It does look nice but performs not so good. First thing to axe would be high quality models of units and weapons. Going with WW4-style models IMHO could help without altering all the scripting.

Anyway, really interesting and mind-opening stuff. May the Keyboards be kind to You!

(Oh, nice music in the menu!)

Congratulations for this very unusual mod! This is probably finest example of out-of-the-box thinking in modding OFP/CWA!

Thank you! A lot of effort has been put into making this thing work.

no firing sound for Remington 700

Some weapons are still missing their sounds, including R700 and all of the pistols. Each weapon needs a total of 35 different sounds, so it takes some work to put together the sounds for a weapon.

error when firing Ingram and XMS (sound-related)

Some original weapons and units are still to be changed or removed, and don't work properly with the mod.

no zoom on M21 ART scope (main feature of this sight in RL and OFP)

This is an unfortunate side-effect of making the 2D sights work only while holding the right mouse button down. The only way to use the zoom is to aim using arrow down and right shift (left shift+S doesn't work with the + and -), but that is very inconvenient to use.

target shillouette on ACOG reticle

I'll change the reticle model to another one.

magic error on US BlackOp (missing model for aim_sd - probably weapon sight)

Yes, it is the weapon sight of that MP5. I'll remove the MP5 and replace it with CAR-15 for now. It will be replaced by some other (silenced) weapon later on. Silenced weapons are not yet properly supported by CWE scripts.

several times game became unresponsive and I had to Ctrl+Alt+Delete it or make hard reset. This can be a little annoying because of FWatch sortmissions stuff (moving original missions to another folder) - hopefully no data was lost (just run CWE once again and close it - or move stuff manually). I suppose this may be related to performance/memory.

Haven't run into or heard of the game freezing with the mod before. Yes, the issue most likely is performance related, I think it is probably caused by the Dynamic Sound Engine (CWE_DSE.exe). I could rewrite it to work better on slower computers, but I don't have the time to do that in the near future. Operating system, number of CPU cores and, to some extent, available memory are factors to possible performance problems with the DSE.

And yes, in case of a crash the files in the game folder are restored by launching CWE and then closing it. That is the correct way to do it. Changing the files and folders manually should not be done, as it may result in loss of data when launching CWE for the next time.

terrain quality - when opening video options menu, terrain quality goes back to actual settings (instead of hi quality set by CWE). I suppose this is not a wanted behaviour (if it was, then what's the point of forcing hi quality again?)

Terrain quality isn't set to the high setting by editing the userConfig, but by using the setTerrainGrid command at the start of the mission. This way, different settings can be used for different islands. The terrain detail setting should be normal or lower in the userConfig, because loading a large map may crash the game on high terrain detail. Another reason for using the command instead of editing the userConfig, is to make it take effect also in multiplayer.

High terrain detail is used, because the A.I. seems to work better in those conditions.

The biggest issue is performance. CWE forces high quality settings on everything. It does look nice but performs not so good. First thing to axe would be high quality models of units and weapons. Going with WW4-style models IMHO could help without altering all the scripting.

After the user has been associated with the mod, video settings can be modified (except the value for terrain detail, which is island dependent). Optional models for units might be added at some point, the weapon models won't be changed, as it took a lot of work to make them all work with the 3D aiming system.

(Oh, nice music in the menu!)

Glad you like it! It is an alternate instrumental take of Jimi Hendrix's Bold as Love.

----------------------- --------------------------- ---------------------------- ------------------------------ ---------------------------

I will be releasing an upgrade patch to version 0.91 later today or tomorrow. That will probably be the only update I'll have time to make for quite some time. Oh, and by the way, version 0.91 should be compatible with OFP Resistance 1.96. Some features won't work with it, and the controls are stripped down and buggier, but the mod can be launched and played.

Patch 0.91 released. Download from http://cwemod.wikidot.com/

This version should be at least somewhat compatible with both CWA 1.99 and OFP Resistance 1.96. On OFP 1.96, scripts for additional stances and 3D sight fixes don't work, so controlling the unit is more simplified and buggy than it is while using CWA.

To install the mod on OFP 1.96, do not download the mod installer, but the zip archive for 0.9, and then the zip archive for patch to 0.91.

Here's the change log:

Added:    OFP 1.96 compatibility. Controlling the unit is limited with OFP compared to CWA.
Added:    Function to check which version of the game was launched.
Added:    Alternative CWE functions for CWA commands, for compatibility with OFP 1.96.
Improved:    Changed all CWE scripts and functions to use OFP-compatible functions, which check for game version.
Improved:    Updated ColdWarEnhanced.exe and CWE_DSE.exe to work with both versions of the game.
Fixed:    If player had a weapon with a grenade launcher, the weapon was not selected by default.
Added:    Edge's retextured resistance units taken into use.
Improved:    Wind's effect on bullets decreased a bit.
Improved:    Drag effect on bullets decreased a bit.
Improved:    Wounded while lying animation modified, it still is pretty clumsy though.
Changed:    Some obsolete units removed from mission editor.
Improved:    Sniper rifles' aim distance adjusted.
Improved:    SVD Dragunov's scope adjusted.
Improved:    Lots of minor adjustments to scripts and configs.
Fixed:    ColdWarEnhanced.exe ignored Fwatch's '-nolaunch'-parameter.
Added:    Automatically assigned wounded gathering place, in case if there isn't one in the mission.
Added:    Function to play custom sounds using the Dynamic Sound Engine.
Added:    Action to ask the position of leader or nearest group member.
Added:    CWE_Mission.pbo consisting of some useful scripts for CWE mission editing.
Improved:    Close Air Support scripts now work for all three sides.
Changed:    SideChats when the A.I. is calling CAS or Artillery removed. Will be replaced by radio/DSAI at some point.
Fixed:    Gun sound delay was incorrect during cutscenes.
Changed:    M14's ACOG sight reticle changed to another one.
Changed:    Replaced noncompatible weapons with compatible ones for some units.
Added:    Setting to revert to original infantry unit models.
Added:    Setting for maximum terrain detail.
Changed:    Some internal changes in CWE scripts, configs and executables.

Once i start the game i see all black.. but i can hear the menu music... Any help?

Once i start the game i see all black.. but i can hear the menu music... Any help?

When launching the mod for the first time, there is a first launch intro that starts with a black screen. The intro should last for a minute or two, and then you should be able to access the menu.

• Like 1

So could you explain how to use the Artillery system? There is Game Logic in the mission editor. and I would like to use it.

So could you explain how to use the Artillery system? There is Game Logic in the mission editor. and I would like to use it.

It us currently not usable by the player, but an AI Radio Operator unit will use it automatically (unless player is his group leader).

Any news guys? 

Unfortunately, this mod is not currently being developed any further. I'm sorry.