Sign in to follow this  
Stormforge

Getting Started

More of a request than a question. I am looking for some good posts, videos, and sites on getting started with the editor, mission making, and most likely going to need scripting too. I would like to start small editing some already created missions for myself, then get into mission making/scripting as I learn more. Do not see myself doing any modeling though. About the best thing I can draw is a stick person.

Jester814's arma 3 editing tutorials are here. This is where I started. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmfRxJX4Bs7FkhsducKrEmH5TBphUYzJV

Killzone kid's website has some awesome scripting tutorials and stuff.

http://killzonekid.com/

Also, when you place something in the editor, hit the "More Info" tab at the bottom of the box. It's really helped me out recently.

Keep in mind, there's an entire section of the forums dedicated to this.

https://forums.bistudio.com/forum/161-arma-3-editing/

Awesome, thank you! Is there anything on the editor itself? About the only thing I have done in the editor is open the map Machloop and spawned myself in various jets at the airport to fly around.

Found the wiki. Should I use be using the 2D editor or Eden?

Be sure to check all the 'pinned' sections at the top of the forums as well.

Back out to the main Forums categories and go through them all. Enjoy.

Awesome, thank you! Is there anything on the editor itself? About the only thing I have done in the editor is open the map Machloop and spawned myself in various jets at the airport to fly around.

Nevermind, it looks like Jester covers what i was looking for. :rolleyes:

Thanks. Have been watching the videos.

Wondering, is it possible to create a single player or co-op campaign/scenario over multiple maps? Able to transition back and forth by a squad member or leader activating an item or crossing a trigger point? Like MERCs going between Stratis and Altis, but by say moving off the map edge onto a trigger which loads a new map. Or even getting all squad members on a trigger point like say a elevator. One of them manually activates a trigger that loads them all to a new map or back again.

Started on learning. I have a bunch of smaller easier projects that I would like to do as I learn. I do have another larger project in mind though also. I am trying to determine how ambitious I can be with creating a co-op scenario/campaign. Multiple terrain maps (traveling between as a squad)? Returning to another map in the same condition it was left in? If able to use multiple maps like that, how many would be too many? No idea what is possible yet.

Thanks. Have been watching the videos.

Wondering, is it possible to create a single player or co-op campaign/scenario over multiple maps? Able to transition back and forth by a squad member or leader activating an item or crossing a trigger point? Like MERCs going between Stratis and Altis, but by say moving off the map edge onto a trigger which loads a new map. Or even getting all squad members on a trigger point like say a elevator. One of them manually activates a trigger that loads them all to a new map or back again.

If you've played M.E.R.C.S. you might have noticed that terrain transitions do not happen within a mission, as it's not possible. Instead, a terrain change is realised by a completely new mission. Campaigns in Arma 3 are just a collection of missions connected through a config file which tells the game in which order missions are loaded.

There's a probably outdated wiki entry here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Campaign_Description.ext

There are several threads with bits and pieces on campaign development on the forums:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/155441-the-new-campaign-descriptionext/

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/161852-creating-a-campaign/

But if you're completely new to mission editing, I'd start with a small project first. Campaign development requires a lot of time and dedication. Just start with a single, atmospheric mission, not too complex, just to learn things. You can still turn it into a campaign later on.

If you've played M.E.R.C.S. you might have noticed that terrain transitions do not happen within a mission, as it's not possible. Instead, a terrain change is realised by a completely new mission. Campaigns in Arma 3 are just a collection of missions connected through a config file which tells the game in which order missions are loaded.

There's a probably outdated wiki entry here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Campaign_Description.ext

There are several threads with bits and pieces on campaign development on the forums:

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/155441-the-new-campaign-descriptionext/

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/161852-creating-a-campaign/

But if you're completely new to mission editing, I'd start with a small project first. Campaign development requires a lot of time and dedication. Just start with a single, atmospheric mission, not too complex, just to learn things. You can still turn it into a campaign later on.

Oh I am definitely starting small. Once I learn what I need I want to add a few addons I enjoy, to a few missions I enjoy. Will be for personal use, unless I gain permission from the authors. Example, modding Hunter Six swapping all weapons, vehicles, and units out, both opfor and blue, to RHS and Operation Trebuchet versions.

The big project I would like to do will be in the background and worked on as I learn more. Don't really want to explain what it is for various reasons. Basically I would like a 6-8 player co-op campaign that will have 6-10 separate terrain maps, I guess driving/flying off the edge of the created map or activating a certain trigger gives the option to end the mission moving the campaign along, a certain amount of time passes between maps affecting hunger/thirst possibly fuel (travel time), going off the map in a direction N/S/E/W will bring you to a specific map, save different parameters like non-random gear taken/enemies killed/strongholds cleared or gear carried when moving to another map (chapter?).

Just need to know if that is possible for now, until I learn how to do what I want to accomplish. If not I might have to settle for a large map like Australia.

Oh I am definitely starting small. Once I learn what I need I want to add a few addons I enjoy, to a few missions I enjoy. Will be for personal use, unless I gain permission from the authors. Example, modding Hunter Six swapping all weapons, vehicles, and units out, both opfor and blue, to RHS and Operation Trebuchet versions.

The big project I would like to do will be in the background and worked on as I learn more. Don't really want to explain what it is for various reasons. Basically I would like a 6-8 player co-op campaign that will have 6-10 separate terrain maps, I guess driving/flying off the edge of the created map or activating a certain trigger gives the option to end the mission moving the campaign along, a certain amount of time passes between maps affecting hunger/thirst possibly fuel (travel time), going off the map in a direction N/S/E/W will bring you to a specific map, save different parameters like non-random gear taken/enemies killed/strongholds cleared or gear carried when moving to another map (chapter?).

Just need to know if that is possible for now, until I learn how to do what I want to accomplish. If not I might have to settle for a large map like Australia.

Possible yes, but it will require an extensive amount of scripting.

Possible yes, but it will require an extensive amount of scripting.

Then I better get reading. ;)

Thanks for the reply.

In Focker's Arma 3 Scripting guide he recommends ArmaEdit and Squint. I was wondering what others thought. Are there any better script editors? Which one is better for a new scripter, like ease of use, etc.?

Is Notepad++ the same as above? #1 for number of hits on Armaholic for tools. I messed around with it in Arma 2 a bit to change zombie movement speed.

I use Notepad++ with an SQF plugin. It's simple, fast, and Notepad's functionality is quite useful. There's also BI's Poseidon editor which should be quite good.