Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

New player: Quick question about healing/first person noises.

I don't mean to be a nuisance or ask a question with an obvious answer, but google and forum searches haven't provided me answers. So sorry in advance.

I'm new to the series so I've been spending time in a lot of SP modes trying to learn how to play. My question is about the sound effects my character makes when injured while playing in first person (and using a scope on my weapon).

Generally, these modes (Vanilla campaign, WLA, Pilgrimage, etc) place you as a non-medic infantry-man so it would seem to me when I get hurt, I can generally only heal myself 80% of the way with a FAK. No matter how many I have on me, correct?

So if I understand that correctly and I'm literally unable to ever heal myself over 80% no matter how many medical supplies I have, is there any way to disable the groaning and moaning sounds my character makes? Or is there a mod that accomplishes this?

I'm dearly in love with this game. But unless I'm missing something, in lone wolf mission, I could literally go hours having to listen to this sound effect and I can't really take it any more. Is there a way to heal myself fully when I'm not playing as a medic or a way to just disable this sound effect?

Or maybe I'm not understanding the game properly and there is a way to fully heal myself when I'm alone?

Here's a quick option.

If you have access to the Debug box (press esc), just type in :

player setDamage 0;

Then press one of the buttons below it. Server, Global, or Local to execute it.

If you do not have access to that Debug box, you'll have to turn it 'on' with the description. ext file. Do a search for the option available for that file. On my phone right now so I can't post more. Sorry.

You can also script a setup to loop every few minutes, checking your health. Once it detects your back to that 80% then it just sets your damage all the way back to 0. Not sure if any of this makes sense or helps. I never play the standard game or campaigns.

Here's a quick option.

If you have access to the Debug box (press esc), just type in :

player setDamage 0;

Then press one of the buttons below it. Server, Global, or Local to execute it.

If you do not have access to that Debug box, you'll have to turn it 'on' with the description. ext file. Do a search for the option available for that file. On my phone right now so I can't post more. Sorry.

You can also script a setup to loop every few minutes, checking your health. Once it detects your back to that 80% then it just sets your damage all the way back to 0. Not sure if any of this makes sense or helps. I never play the standard game or campaigns.

It makes perfect sense, thank you. Not that I know how to do this stuff but I get what you're saying. It needs to be altered in the game files.

That's disappointing.

I guess my deep hatred for the noise is actually making me a much cautious player right now :) which honestly is a good thing. I've actually been able to mitigate excessive initial damage on my own just by being more careful and immediately hitting the dirt when I hear shots whizz by me (etc).

I don't exactly understand the healing system but it seems to me a certain amount of damage can be healed beyond 80% with a FAK as long as you don't get hit too badly initially. Last night for instance I got hit twice on one occasion but was able to heal my self like normal and never heard the noise.

If that's the way it's designed then I can live with that. It was just before I felt like even one bullet meant moaning and groaning for all eternity if you don't have a medic with you. It would seem to me now that isn't the case but I admit I may be wrong on that (but man I hope not).

Thanks for the reply.

The wounding system only lets you heal to about 80% with a FAK as stated above, while a Combat Life Saver can heal to 100% with a medkit. You can find medical trucks or buildings that let you get to 100% without a CLS. They are marked with a white square with a red diamond in it.

The only time you can heal even if at above 80% is if you are hit in the arms or legs in a manner that reduces weapon stability or your movement speed. Note sometimes after you have used a FAKs you will still have the option to treat yourself again, this is a bug and it will have no effect.

Last note, if a CLS is healing you, don't move as it will sometimes cause the healing to fail if the host thinks you went out of range.

Von Quest had a good amount of solutions the only other one I can think of is to unpack the mission PBO and edit the mission.sqf so that the unit class of your avatar is a CLS, which would enable you to use a Medkit.

• Like 1

The wounding system only lets you heal to about 80% with a FAK as stated above, while a Combat Life Saver can heal to 100% with a medkit. You can find medical trucks or buildings that let you get to 100% without a CLS. They are marked with a white square with a red diamond in it.

The only time you can heal even if at above 80% is if you are hit in the arms or legs in a manner that reduces weapon stability or your movement speed. Note sometimes after you have used a FAKs you will still have the option to treat yourself again, this is a bug and it will have no effect.

Last note, if a CLS is healing you, don't move as it will sometimes cause the healing to fail if the host thinks you went out of range.

Von Quest had a good amount of solutions the only other one I can think of is to unpack the mission PBO and edit the mission.sqf so that the unit class of your avatar is a CLS, which would enable you to use a Medkit.

Thanks. This is very useful information. Especially for multiplayer.

But what about in SP? About 3/4 of my time with this game is alone. Am I really just destined to listen to this noise in any single player mode that doesn't put me with a medic? In some modes (like WLA), that could mean hours and hours.

I'll keep an eye out for medical trucks in some of the modes I like to play. I didn't even know they existed until you mentioned it. Thanks for that tip.

If you unpack WLA with a PBO unpacker, like PBOManager. You can edit the mission.sqm so that the class of your soldier is a medic(B_medic_F) [Medkit] or universal soldier (b_soldier_universal_f). [Medkit and toolkit]

Change: (row 81-92) (Note this might be an old version of WLA and not look exactly like yours.

items=4;
class Item0
{
position[]={13606.93,15.778142,12186.682};
azimut=25.616899;
id=1;
side="WEST";
vehicle="B_engineer_F";
player="PLAY CDG";
rank="SERGEANT";
skill=1;
};
To:
items=4;
class Item0
{
position[]={13606.93,15.778142,12186.682};
azimut=25.616899;
id=1;
side="WEST";
vehicle="b_soldier_universal_f";
player="PLAY CDG";
rank="SERGEANT";
skill=1;
};
This change should do it. Although I do not know if this would make it persist through death. Test this and if it doesn't work ask the author, start with a pm or email as most don't mind helping their players edit their files as long as they don't share it without consent.

Also, give feedback on your favorite missions that you want the option to play as medic or some system that lets you heal to full every now and then.

And don't forget about medic cargo ;)

xeno-taru-pod-mod-v155-2_4.jpg

I keep hearing about med trucks/medical facilities/med cargo. I swear, and I realize I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but over 100 hours in I feel like I know next to nothing about how this game works.

Are you saying I can call med cargo in? Seriously? Like while in the field or even just using them when I come back to base? How?

A game like this can really humble a guy. I've never played something less 'noob' friendly than this one. LOL!

It's a thing you need yo live with. You can't just call med cargo or anything like that unless the mission maker has actually made that option possible. Usually squad has a medic that you can order or call to heal you. But if it's dead, then be ready to listen the moaning.

The wheezing noises could also be your character being too fatigued...

If you're doing lots of running then stop for 30-60sec and see if it gets better. (This will also improve your aim with less weapon sway)

It is a hard game to get into at first because its scope is so enormous...  And that's what keeps it interesting to play for years instead of the 'other' games which get repetitive and boring after a short time.

Stick with it and things will get easier/clearer.

Think of ARMA as a true sandbox.  Its contains the models for characters, vehicles, landscapes etc. The missions are just a collection of those things with various options that can vary enormously.  You can call artillery, evac, air strikes etc ONLY if the mission maker includes these options.  You will also be able to make your own ;)

Go though the included missions to get an idea of whats possible and how each thing works before going online.

Good luck ;)

• Like 1

I think it would be better if the groaning stopped when you healed with a FAK and only occurred when you drop below 50% health as an indicator of more serious damage, although there needs to be some penalty/indicator that only a medic can put right, Perhaps something visual rather than audible. At least you can close your eyes but you can't close your ears.

I think it would be better if the groaning stopped when you healed with a FAK and only occurred when you drop below 50% health as an indicator of more serious damage, although there needs to be some penalty/indicator that only a medic can put right, Perhaps something visual rather than audible. At least you can close your eyes but you can't close your ears.

Agreed. I get that BIS needs to inform the player that they are injured, but if is has to be from an audible indicator, I like the idea of reserving it to 50% or below much better than what it currently is. And the noise shouldn't be constant and I also agree an FAK should ALWAYS, without question, get rid of the awful sounds.

It makes some SP missions unbearable and I've actually reloaded previous saves because of this.

Good news is it sounds like Haleks will be releasing a standalone add-on that will remove the sound completely. That is music to my ears. :)

• Like 1