Sign in to follow this  
Bucic

Gun shots and sinic cracks far too loud

A3 is unplayable for me right now. If I lose the volume so that I won't go deaf, I can't hear ambient sounds and barely even hear my own footsteps. Can anyone recommend a workaround for this? Apparently no sound mod is compatible with A3 since Marksmen DLC release.

Edit:

How this is resolved as a no bug is beyond me

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=23612

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18011

Edited by Bucic

I agree. Not a big fan either. I've never been in a real firefight, but they sound awful to me. Every enemy sounds like there is two. One in front, and another behind you. We can never figure out where they're at most times. They rest of the audio is good, but the double gunfire just sounds wrong to us. Everyone thinks its a bug as well. Not sure if it is still a WIP, or if that's what they intended. Looking for an alternative ourselves.

There are no sound mods compatible with the post-marksmen arma releases to the best of my knowledge.

I use Razer's 'surround' driver.

Its got an 8-band EQ.

With the bass jacked, and the treble cut, sonic cracks are muted, and the bark of rifle fire is heard. ..., not to mention footsteps.

So, find a driver with eq, or atleast bass/treble input.

I use Razer's 'surround' driver.

Its got an 8-band EQ.

With the bass jacked, and the treble cut, sonic cracks are muted, and the bark of rifle fire is heard. ..., not to mention footsteps.

So, find a driver with eq, or atleast bass/treble input.

Asus Xonars have both as standard, EQ and SVN. I'll try SVN first but I think it only works for different sound sources e.g. a game and a music player.

Edited by Bucic

The ASUS Xonar SVN option is the best workaround! I finally discovered the mission I play is under windy conditions! When you use SVN you can clearly hear the ambient sounds and when there are gun shots the ambient sounds lower in volume to keep the gun shots volume under a certain treshold. It's even better than the recent megadoth's mod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?193017-Tiny-Sound-Mod-Megas-Sound-Sonic-Cracks

Thank you, Brisse! :thumbsup:

Some sound card drivers have a feature you can enable that dynamically adjusts volume based on the amplitude. In my Xonar driver it's called SVN, or Smart Volume Normalization. I don't personally use it becouse I like having my gunshots loud, but it might do what you are asking for. It will raise the volume when you are only listening to ambient sounds and it will lower the volume as soon as there is a loud sound like a gunshot. It reacts very fast so it's good for protecting your ears from spontaneous loud sounds.

There are no sound mods compatible with the post-marksmen arma releases to the best of my knowledge.

Tiny Sound Mod. :)

Anyway, I always thought that sonic cracks are supposed to be very loud IRL?

Tiny Sound Mod. :)

Anyway, I always thought that sonic cracks are supposed to be very loud IRL?

Yes, but this is a game where sound must not be uncomfortable to your ears. Using that logic, we should have guns that gave us permanent hearing damage if we fired them. And we're pretty close to that already :P

Yes, but this is a game where sound must not be uncomfortable to your ears. Using that logic, we should have guns that gave us permanent hearing damage if we fired them. And we're pretty close to that already :P

Yup. Hence the discussion on how loud the cracks are IRL is almost insignificant here.

But I'dd be interested in gunshot/crack loudness ratio explanation as well.

I can barely hear the gunfire behind the cracks :D I wan't to know why on earth we still don't have at least a hotfix for it.

I have a friend who said he has problems hearing after playing Arma, everything is so cranked up and loud that he's turning it up even more louder to distinct the sounds direction