Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Coach driver's proxy is visible from inside the coach, when it shouldn't

Hi guys,

i'm making a stagecoach : the driver is sitting outside of the coach, and the passengers are inside. When i'm inside the coach, as a passenger, i see the driver as if he were inside (but he isn't, as he is sitting outside of it...).

What's even more puzzling, is that this problem isn't occuring on desert island, but on other islands (Everon, Nogova etc.).

Any idea :confused:

I figure you've already thought of this and done it, but I'll say it anyway. Have you removed the driver's proxy from the cargo view?

I don't know of any Cfg setttings that cover this particular situation. That's a strange one.

Edited by Maczer

I figure you've already thought of this and done it, but I'll say it anyway. Have you removed the driver's proxy from the cargo view?

Nope, as in the car class, IIRC, you can't have both driver and cargo view (if you have both, it's the driver view that is taken into account). I'll try it anyway to be sure :)

Yeah. You're right. I forgot about that little detail, sorry. Has the proxy got anything wrong with it?

I mean are there any textures accidentally mapped. Or was the shape inadvertandtly changed?

Also. Could it be an alpha sorting issue of some kind? With the stagecoach texture.

If there's any alpha sections, like windows, try taking them out for the moment.

It's a long shot, I know. :)

I deleted the driver proxy and recreated it, no luck.

There are no windows at the moment...

A little picture about that trouble : on the upper part, on desert island, no problem. On the lower part, on modified Nogova...

RbT0uIOQlJ7A34wR

It's possible you've found another limit. Which is a pain in the neck, as it looks great.

Are you using any scripting?

Edited by Maczer

Nope, no scripting...only for the horses, that are not involved here :)

Did you try cutting the driver and/or cargo view section entirely, so only the visible LOD is shown in-game? It's a last resort effort, somewhat desperate, but it might work.

Thanks Pufu for your answer by PM (i can't reply you as your inbox is full...)

Did you try cutting the driver and/or cargo view section entirely, so only the visible LOD is shown in-game? It's a last resort effort, somewhat desperate, but it might work.

I just tried it : it solved the problem ;), but the ugly side effect is that the lod used when you're driver or cargo is the lowest detailed one....:banghead: which is ugly, to say the least.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Thanks Pufu for your answer by PM (i can't reply you as your inbox is full...)

Yeah no worries mate. Regarding the inbox, blame it on BIF, it gets full pretty quickly with the amount of stuff i receive. Contact me on skype anytime you want though.

I just tried it : it solved the problem ;), but the ugly side effect is that the lod used when you're driver or cargo is the lowest detailed one....:banghead: which is ugly, to say the least.

hmmm, that shouldn't happen...of course, you can remove all the lower lods

Alt Tabbing solves the problem (tried on two very different systems, with ArmA:CWA and OFP, with or without modified materials, with or without Dxdll...it works on both). No really a solution though, but a turn-around.

That's the first time I've ever seen that. Even after all these years the engine can still surprise us, with "features". :D I was leaning towards a display issue. But you mentioned two different systems.

Is there anything at all that's unusual about the model? Something that you may have put in that's not usually in that class? I mean besides the fact it's a horse drawn carriage. :)

Long shot again. But I'll throw it in anyway. How about memory points? Have you got any loose vertices? Or vertices at a large distance from the model centre?

Yes i must say i'm very puzzled too. As i'm testing most of my models on Desert island, i never noticed that, but now i've checked several vehicles i've made across the years (transport wagons in the Veni Vidi Vici mod, in the WW1 mod, even an old ugly coach i did make for my old Napoleonic mod) and they have the same bug. The only vehicles that don't have it are the trucks i made for the WW1 mod. So i suspect it may be related to the horses (or oxes in the VVV mod) that are spawned by script in some cargo places of the vehicle...

About memory points, there are really very few of them : two "pos cargo", two "pos driver", a few stopa PLL, PLP etc... for the dust, and that's all.

I've used scripts to put a man class "object" into cargo. So I could animate it via rtm. Specifically

a landing gear. But it was never visible from either position of the cockpit.

Or from the cargo area, when the ramp was closed.

So perhaps it's car specific?

Random OFP bug as far as I remember have had it happen alot in blackhawcks sometimes you see the "driver" some times you don't. Allways had a feeling that some weird model voodoo is going on like some soldiers being invisible thrugh glass in buildings and others not. Never found the cause.

Allways had a feeling that some weird model voodoo is going on like some soldiers being invisible thrugh glass in buildings and others not. Never found the cause.

This is somehow related to texture format. Kenoxite here have some solutions (but no answer why the hell it should matter what file type was used in source image).

BTW: STGN! Where have You been? We missed You!

If its a texture issue, does the problem always happen, also when you use other units for the driver? 

Wow thanks, just been working on life mods instead of OFP mods. Just a small sommer visit :)

This is somehow related to texture format. Kenoxite here have some solutions (but no answer why the hell it should matter what file type was used in source image).

I'm not sure both issues are related. The problem I encountered only seemed to affect particle textures.

I'm not sure both issues are related.

They're not. I was only reffering to the problem with...

(...) some soldiers being invisible thrugh glass in buildings and others not.

Wow thanks, just been working on life mods instead of OFP mods. Just a small sommer visit :)

Don't hesitate to visit us more often! :)

They're not. I was only reffering to the problem with...

I still don't think my solution posted there is appliable in this case. The invisible units behind window panes is something that also affects a lot of WW4 units, so it's something I've also tried to solve myself.

The only solution, after you've tried to sort the textures in O2, is to simply remove the window panes from the game. So, it's not a solution but a workaround. This was suggested and first executed by Sanctuary in his versions of the vanilla islands that come with WW4. I also used this trick in the version of Kodiak provided in EXT since v1.

And then there's also the problem with texture sorting that affects a bunch of vanilla assets (such as the BIS jeep), where they are always rendered on top of any particle. And in this case there doesn't seem to be a case caused by black/dark textures.

Texture sorting is simply a mess and a gamble in OFP/CWA.