Sign in to follow this  
jakeplissken

Server admin access for JIP players.

Why are many public servers configured to allow anyone to gain admin access by clicking vote admin when you are playing alone? This is really dumb. You can even restart the server and possibly load another mission. Why do people do this? And how do you guard against this on your own server? Thanks.

put these two lines in your server config (the one where you define the servername etc)

allowedVoteCmds[] = {};
allowedVotedAdminCmds[] = {};

read more about it here -> LINK

Because most admins don't know what they are doing and the server providers/hosting companys have bad default settings in their files.

For anyone interested, I recommend the following Settings for the average public server:

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers  = 999;	// Minimum number of players required before displaying the mission selection screen, if you have not already selected a mission in this config
voteThreshold       = 1;	// Percentage (0.00 to 1.00) of players needed to vote something into effect, for example an admin or a new mission. Set to 9999 to disable voting.
allowedVoteCmds[] =		// Voting commands allowed to players
{
// {command, preinit, postinit, threshold} - specifying a threshold value will override "voteThreshold" for that command
{"admin", false, false},	// vote admin
{"kick", false, true, 0.51},	// vote kick
{"missions", false, false},	// mission change
{"mission", false, false},	// mission selection
{"restart", false, false},	// mission restart
{"reassign", false, false}	// mission restart with roles unassigned
};

But of course, this is just a recommendation!

• Like 1

I would disagree. A server is better to have an admin on than not. If there aren't any official admins on then it allows the players on the server to vote one in to restart the mission or to kick an idiot player.

I certainly wouldn't want the functionality removing. I would however like the ability to vote to remove a voted in admin and replace him with another

The way it works is you as a server admin define the percentage of players required to vote someone in. If you are the only person on the server, then you have 100% of the votes

The functionality doesn't need to be removed. However, a voted admin should be possible to vote off. This is currently not possible.

A server is better to have an admin on than not. If there aren't any official admins on then it allows the players on the server to vote one in to restart the mission or to kick an idiot player.

and now imagine what happens when the idiot gets voted for admin...

• Like 1

and now imagine what happens when the idiot gets voted for admin...

I think this is the solution you overlooked.

I would however like the ability to vote to remove a voted in admin and replace him with another

Meaning if its possible to vote in an admin it should also be possible to vote that admin out 

Of course a logged in admin takes precedence of any "voted in".

Having the ability to assign or unassign a "Voted In" admin via Rcon would also be very useful

If you don't want the voting of an admin to occur on your server then simply disable it, but don't remove that option for those who use it.

• Like 2