Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

The porting bit in the last sitrep, what does it mean?

We are indeed experimenting with 2 ports of Arma 3. An external team has been investigating whether it would be possible to create (non-native) client ports to Linux and MacOS.

Can someone please explain what this means?

Sounds to me like they are looking into making Arma 3 linux and mac os compatible. I could be wrong it does sound cryptic.

"We are indeed experimenting with 2 ports of Arma 3. An external team has been investigating whether it would be possible to create (non-native) client ports to Linux and MacOS. Being external, this does not affect the core development team while it focuses on the Expansion. We should make it really clear that at this stage there are still very many uncertainties. We do not yet know when we'd release these, what their update cycle would be like, or any other specifics. In fact, it's still possible these ports will never see the light of day. There are several technical and licensing challenges to overcome. But, the chances of such ports have gone up from 0% for Arma 3. We'll be sharing more when we can!"

Pretty much means external team is working on porting arma 3 to Mac os and Linux.They have a lot of work in regards to licenses and technical aspects.

They don't know when they will able to release it but they aren't on 0%.That's it.

microsoft has really angered Steam ;)

microsoft has really angered Steam ;)

And ultimately nothing will come of it since Windows 10 is poised to be a huge massive success.

Free upgrade + direct x 12 both ensure this.

mantle and open gl with dedicated OS (in that case you may build a complete OS only for Arma) and it's free of the microsoft's slavery

And ultimately nothing will come of it since Windows 10 is poised to be a huge massive success.

Free upgrade + direct x 12 both ensure this.

That ridiculous privacy policy of the Win10 tech preview will make sure I stay on Win7 and Ubuntu for the foreseeable future.

Microsoft are trying really hard to make Win10 the mainstream OS, but that does not mean they will succeed. There are downsides to the new OS, even if it's "free" and everything.

---------- Post added at 08:27 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

mantle and open gl with dedicated OS (in that case you may build a complete OS only for Arma) and it's free of the microsoft's slavery

AMD shared the source code for Mantle with both Micro$oft and Khronos Group. Both DX12 and the next OpenGL build upon the foundation of Mantle.

I wonder if the client gets ported, will it get support for OpenGL (it has to, right?), and will that be brought into the windows version as well?

I wonder if the client gets ported, will it get support for OpenGL (it has to, right?), and will that be brought into the windows version as well?
Considering how much distance DnA took to put between Arma 3 "core" development (read: his purview) and what amounts to a 'third-party' feasibility study, that's probably up to said external team's opinion more than anything else.

i think that this proof of concept is for to integrate Arma in steamOS machines