Sign in to follow this  
krycek

Total War:Warhammer

The beginning of the video they said video uses in-game footage, but some of the bits could be scripted scenes in-game but its still using in-game models and assets which if the game will look that good then dam it looks really good..

I just wish we could see more of the steam tank in action.

the difference was that they had different (overly contrasty) lighting and a larger map, postprocessing and human controlled,ochestrated movement... wow, so evil of them.

Lol, no!

Animations not found in the game, particle effects, much better Textures than in the final product, tighter formations, different city layouts etc. etc. There are comparison screenshots around. Basically the Pre release stuff was bullshit from start to finish. They did the same shit with Empire too. Really you can't trust CAs pre release marketing at all.

CA really needs to nail this game down because this is the only thing officially left about Warhammer Fantasy and only thing that can bring money to the Games Workshop under Warhammer Fantasy license. You know Games Workshop killed Warhammer Fantasy and brought Warhammer Age Of Sigmar which is like Warhammer 10K universe so it's totally different thing. Getting slapped in the Tabletop and Video Game front would be awful.

One thing is for sure that there will be DLCs (and those two standalone expansions) and they've a lot of things that they can start to milk... I can already feel the Special Character DLCs and maybe units with pre-order ones if they continue their current strategy.

I won't pre-order the game no matter how much of a fanboy of the Fantasy Battle I'm. I don't have any trust these days on many devs, only hopes...

Well since warhammer fans are used to getting milked and starving for Warhammer fantasy content CA will use the opportunity to go full crazy with DLCs. I won't evenconsider buying this game until they release a complete edition

Lets face it one things that warhammer fantasy had going for it was its edgy and nitty gritty fantasy feel, many games after since they could not openly copy went more friendly to kids way to try and reach wider market. Now GW changing the game and removing content to make the game more family and kid friendly removes the elements that GW had going for it.

I am really hoping this game will be what i am hoping it will be the last true WHF game but as Tonci87 said I also am not going to rush out and buy it until there is a full release version.

Animations not found in the game, particle effects, much better Textures than in the final product, tighter formations, different city layouts etc. etc.

You realize that pre release footage is subject to change? Apparently not... When it's not exactly like a prerelease trailer released many months before release, everbody cries "boohoo graphic downgrade boohoo". When it runs like shit instead, everbody cries as well. When they dont show gamefootage before release everybody cries.

You realize that pre release footage is subject to change? Apparently not... When it's not exactly like a prerelease trailer released many months before release, everbody cries "boohoo graphic downgrade boohoo". When it runs like shit instead, everbody cries as well. When they dont show gamefootage before release everybody cries.

Oh come on! They labeled that stuff as Ingame footage! As I said, they pulled the same shit with Empire. Empire has Screenshots on the back of the CD case that simply aren't possible in the game!

That is how far they will go with their lies!

You might not know that but I was one of 12 moderators on Totalwar-zone.de the biggest gaming forum in the german speaking part of the world with over 12000 members. We were as close as you can get to CA as a fan of their games. Members of the Forum staff visited CA before the release of Empire and were shown mostly marketing bullshit and beeing lied straight to their faces, even by the CEO. Of course that stuff was relayed to the community and helped to build up pre release hype.

As we all know Empire was a desaster at launch.

A few months after launch the CEO of CA even wrote an open letter to the community trying to explain why the game was in such a state in wich he admitted that he was too ashamed of the game to show it to friends at release, well he certainly wasn't ashamed enough to not take our money!

And they did it again with Rome2!

Never defend such a company!

I'm glad that Steam finally has refunds in place so companies like CA won't be able to pull shit like that any more without sustaining heavy losses.

Oh come on! They labeled that stuff as Ingame footage! As I said, they pulled the same shit with Empire. Empire has Screenshots on the back of the CD case that simply aren't possible in the game!

That is how far they will go with their lies!

[...]

Never defend such a company!

I'm not defending half-assed release practices, but I will defend developers against mindless bashing.

If the game had the things that where different in the trailer (city layout, those few additional animations and the different lighting setting), it STILL wouldn't have made it a better launch, or a significantly better game.

The reason Rome2 wasn't as good as many (including me) hoped was not because of those peanuts but because of many bugs, bad AI and for the biggest part, gameplay reasons.

Yes Alpha footage IS ingame footage, therefore you can label it as ingame. Every prerelease footage is subject to change, do we need a giant big warning sign over the footage to remember that, like the kind of people who need "warning, hot" printed on their coffee cup?

If you wanna hate, fine, hate. But at least think about why you are hating and don't try to invent additional reasons.

Scripted gameplay

This is now in-game footage except naturally scripted.

I got to say it's looking nice B)

yes it looks nice. Although i fear that with the focus on "omg backgrounds" we will have few selected maps that we play on again (maybe even fewer then before), which imo is really bad. In Rome 1 it mattered where you positioned your army, if it was on the hills you would start on the hills. In Shogun2 and Rome 2 it was always the same few maps, and never did it properly match the actual terrain on the global map.

The monsters seem a bit tame... I would expect them to do a lot more stampeeding for mass damage, rather than eating a single soldier one at a time... Guess that would be a bit OP though.

Impacts for cav look really weightless atm.

But that's minor things for me. The question of dealbreaker or not is what they do on the world map. The combat was always relatively solid in all parts(apart from AI, some bugs, and a bit of balancing/finetuning)

Well about the monster attack, watch bit more closely and you see the giant graps one guy but maybe like 5 more are hurled back by the grapping hand at the same time, so they deal more damage. I agree I'd like to see club swing, maybe it could be special attack that gets recharged.

Knockback does not always kill. In case of the giant it's kinda fits the actual game. Giants where always super random and sometimes they just didn't do anything (too stupid/ lethargic). It was worse with the hyperbird :ph34r:  in the trailer though... grabbing a single ork, flying high in the sky to hurl him and then landing... Soo much time wasted. I think this is not something that will change, for balance, but it will always bug me. Against elite regiments they might be really powerfull though, because shiny armor doesnt stop you from getting eaten... maybe the monsters get digestive problems in the middle of the battle though, with all the junk in their belly xD The Wyvern and the Arachnarok could easily trample an entire normal regiment/ smash through it.

maybe it could be special attack that gets recharged.

Ah yeah, thats it most likely

That has nothing to do with balance, it's simply how the engine works (and one of the main reasons why the engine sucks so much) melee combat is completely animation based wich means that one unit can always only be attacked by one other unit. This is what leads to those stupid situations where the last surviving guy in a unit can be sourrounded by a mass of enemy units and continue to fight them for another minute or so until he has received enough damage to die.

This time CA seems to have included some AoE damage and knockback effects when large monsters do their attack move.

My point still stands. Gameplay footage can have WIP written all over it, as soon as it includes preorder links and is released to the public, send to gaming news websites, etc. it becomes advertisement. If that advertisement is deceptive (as it has been in the past with CA) they deserve to get punished for that. There is no reason why companies in the gaming industry should be allowed to get away with shit any company in another industry would be dragged to court for.

If that advertisement is deceptive

which is a very subjective thing... Falling victim to hype, reading more into something that it is not, and beeing dissapointed in the end is not 100% the fault of  the developer.

There is nothing subjective there. If a developer announced features that are later not in the game, and as it is the case with CA forgets to mention that pre release then he is beeing deceptive. To me it's not a problem if features can't be finished and have to be droped ay long as the dev is honest about it and informs his buyers.

CA never did that to not loose the juicy pre order money.

i'm interested to see if we get an underground campaign map as an additional layer, kinda like the americas in Medieval 2 TW

I really doubt that. It just doesn't fit in the backstory that every army would even go in there. Dwarves, Goblins and Skaven are the only ones that I remember that could fight and meet up in the underground. The fluff goes more like every battle is fight on the ground or in the mountains and Skaven are the rulers of the Underworld that can sometimes emerge from their lairs on top of the world to spread diseases and terror. There are some Goblins also and Dwarves live in their mountains and can sometimes dig too deep or get too close to Goblins or Skaven.

skavens are not the rulers of the underground, they constantly fight with goblins and dwarves. So that's 3 factions fighting there from the get go, 2 beeing in the main base game. And since the underground gives you access/ routes to regions otherwise difficult to access, it's a strategic objective for more then just the "native" underground dwellers. Especially if you consider a total domination game. Vampires and other races always had more pressing issues at their doorstep in the background to not care about the underground that much. But in a total war game you would be able to actually solve those and focus on new objectives, which the "stalemate" in the background never permitted / seen reasonable.

It does stat to look rather nice, however the same damn problems are still plagueing that engine. Every unit (single man, or rather dwarf in this case) can only engage in combat with one opponent. So units shuffle awkwardly into positions to face each other so that the animation can start to play. The AoE attacks help to mask this problem a bit. Has anyone noticed the absence of blood? I guess Blood DLC on release is basically confirmed......

I got to say the Giant seemed bit underpowered or at least it's role is bit of a mystery to me. Though it's interesting in the tabletop also and I saw him using many familiar attacks. Maybe it serves as a morale killer more but it was hard to see that because of the Slayers that are basically monster butchers.

the units look good, but the terrain objects in the background look kinda awefull quality wise in the video (low texture resolution, alpha problem, and lot of aliasing )

I got to say the Giant seemed bit underpowered or at least it's role is bit of a mystery to me.

I voiced the same concern in the imperium vs ork battle video... all the monsters did fairly poor damage, very slow (eating enemies one by one)

the units look good, but the terrain objects in the background look kinda awefull quality wise in the video (low texture resolution, alpha problem, and lot of aliasing )

I voiced the same concern in the imperium vs ork battle video... all the monsters did fairly poor damage, very slow (eating enemies one by one)

Yeah that is a direct result of the engine problem I described and is impossible to fix within that engine. 

All hand to hand combat is animation based.

Two units get together and play a fighting animation. No other unit can attack one of those fighting units while they are stuck in that animation.

this leads to awkward situation where the last survivor of a unit will be sourrounded by enemies but will still only have to fight one at a time. Imagine Assassins creed combat on a larger scale :D

With this game they are trying to mask those problems by introducing Area of Effect attacks wich don´t allow the group of sourrounding units to become static but the core problem is still there and sadly unfixable.