Sign in to follow this  
jakeplissken

How to create a random patrol in Arma 3 editor with modules.

This is how I created a random patrol in a mission I am working on.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10655366_797225710361340_7959883516988011956_o.jpg

Create multiple groups of infantry or vehicles. Then insert the random patrol module from Modules->Sites->Random patrol.

Sync the leaders of each group to the module. Then insert a civilian, as many of them as you have group leaders. Then create different waypoints from each civilian in the direction required. When you start the game a random infantry group will spawn and take a random patrol route. The civilians do not appear when the mission loads. They are only to connect waypoints to the random spawn module.

Another trick I found is to place an Ifrit for example, and then place about 5 markers around it in various places. Then press F2 and group it to each marker. This is tricky but doable. Then it will spawn on a random marker. This is a good way to make a random mission. There are scripts to do this; but I prefer to use the modules instead.

When you put a unit down in the editor, there is an editable field called "Placement Radius". It is right above the OK button. When you type a number there, the unit will spawn anywhere inside a circle with that radius. This is another good way to randomize unit starting positions

I'm still shocked that there are no good population, and patrol modules yet from BIS. Its silly.

You can also use taskPatrol in the units INIT Field. Works great. You can use a tiny bit of scripting as well which can go a long way. Just use Markers with taskPatrol and sprinkle in some random sleep in between each section if you want them to move in a certain direction.

A little scripting goes a very very long way for randomness, spawning units, and patrols.

I'm still shocked that there are no good population, and patrol modules yet from BIS. Its silly.

You can also use taskPatrol in the units INIT Field. Works great. You can use a tiny bit of scripting as well which can go a long way. Just use Markers with taskPatrol and sprinkle in some random sleep in between each section if you want them to move in a certain direction.

A little scripting goes a very very long way for randomness, spawning units, and patrols.

Lots of good info such as that can be found in the following thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188148-Random-tasks-objectives

Post #96 has the last iteration of the patrol function (I believe):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188148-Random-tasks-objectives&p=2874489&viewfull=1#post2874489

Edited by JShock

I've had some issues with taskPatrol. Sometimes the group will just walk away to the other end of the island in a straight line.

I've had some issues with taskPatrol. Sometimes the group will just walk away to the other end of the island in a straight line.

I've never seen that occur, anyway you can reproduce it or does it just happen?

You can't use too small of a number. For some odd reason they just walk or run off in a direction.

I use 55 or higher.