Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Bulgarian arrested with box cutters...

http://dailynews.attbi.com/cgi-bin....rportdc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bulgarian Arrested with Box Cutters at N.J. Airport

Updated 7:17 PM ET September 29, 2002

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Police on Sunday arrested a Bulgarian man who tried to board a flight at Atlantic City International Airport in New Jersey carrying two box cutters and a pair of scissors in his backpack, the Transportation Security Administration said.

The 21-year-old man was the last passenger to approach the security checkpoint to board the plane and was arrested when an X-ray machine detected the prohibited items, TSA spokesman Robert Johnson said.

"One of our TSA federal screeners noticed a pair of scissors on the screen, ordered a hand check. Another screener went through the bag and found a pair of scissors embedded in a bar of soap and two box cutters inside a package that contained hand lotion," Johnson said.

At least some of the hijackers who carried out the Sept. 11 attacks on America last year were armed with box cutters, tools with sharp replaceable blades usually used to cut cardboard.

The man was taken into custody by local police and charged with at least one count of possession of a prohibited item or weapon and was being held on $100,000 bail in the Atlantic County jail, Johnson said.

He said prosecutors would review the case to decide whether to extend the state charge or add federal charges.

News reports said the Bulgarian man, in the United States on a student visa, had a one-way ticket to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Johnson hailed the arrest as a success for a post-Sept. 11 reform which turned airport security screening over to the federal government.

"It's our job to intercept these items so that we can have an investigation not a negotiation," Johnson told Reuters. "the point is... keep this problem on the ground, don't let it get to the plane."

<span id='postcolor'>

That guy think we belive that bull !?Put scissors in a bar of soap?If i didnt want that to damage anything in my bag, all i would do is put it in foam or something.And razor blades in loation?They go fine in the box they came it.icon13.gif

Sheesh, i can take out some asshole with a knife just like that, especially in a plane!

Grab something hard, hit him on the head, when he falls down kick him in the balls (just for the heck of it!wink.gif and he won't attack anyone for the next 2 hours.... biggrin.gif

It's hard to understand all the fuss for just one guy with a knife....

Baaaah, there should be enough ppl on a plane, if one guy goes for that asshole's arm then it'll be over pretty fast....

It's amazing how you know so much, are so experienced as to know what to do in any situation, you must have lived a long life to have gained all this knowledge, clearly you're not talking out your backside simply because you like to post things, right?

If it's so easy when they have box cutters how come 4 planes were hijacked on Sept 11th? If it's so easy I guess those people who died on the planes were all weak human beings? Hell if some teen kid from Belgium can do it why can't some beefy dude from America?

That's right, problem with 11th Sept. flights was no one knew anything really bad would happen if they cooperated with the hijackers/hostage takers. Except for the one plane where someone heard their plan to crash, and they did something aobut it.

Basically intelligence (lack of) is your enemy in such a situation. People don't know if these men have bombs, gas, or extensive training (besides the cutters). People don't know what they plan to do.

Also, physically overcoming someone in a plane is extremely difficuly because of the tight quarters, you can't get a large number of people to actively intercept the hijakers, there is little room and only one way of approaching. (straight on) Then what if they are holding someone hostage with a knife as sharp as a scalpel? You are in a really terrible situation then.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Duke_of_Ray @ Sep. 30 2002,17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Viper is right, it is alot easyer said than done.<span id='postcolor'>

I must have used too many words in my post. biggrin.gif

What do you do is you want to ship a nice machete? Not to mention even those cool samuri swords from japan? Will i have trouble smuggling a box of them through customs? Will i be arrested if i show a fellow passenger my pride & joy (the blades)? smile.gif Seriously, I suppose i need just get a permit? Those samuri swords are really cool (display purposes only, they are too good to use).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 29 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's amazing how you know so much, are so experienced as to know what to do in any situation, you must have lived a long life to have gained all this knowledge, clearly you're not talking out your backside simply because you like to post things, right?

If it's so easy when they have box cutters how come 4 planes were hijacked on Sept 11th? If it's so easy I guess those people who died on the planes were all weak human beings? Hell if some teen kid from Belgium can do it why can't some beefy dude from America?<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you very much Placebo, let me just remind you, that most of the ppl on those planes did not know that they'd be dead in a matter of time. Normal hijackings don't end with all the ppl in the plane dead, so it's normal that they didn't do a thing.

If i'd have been on that plane i wouldn't have reacted... Today, i know what has happened, i wouldn't want to take the risk...

Perhaps you would sit there stay calm and hope that you'll get out alive, i'll be scared as hell and i'll do anything to try and stop those guys. Not trying to be a hero here, don't get me wrong.

That's just the way i am and please i'd appreciate it if you wouldn't talk with so much irony. I find it kinda irritating, t makes you look like the holy guy that's talking to the dumb belgian kid....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (second_draw @ Sep. 30 2002,12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What do you do is you want to ship a nice machete? Not to mention even those cool samuri swords from japan? Will i have trouble smuggling a box of them through customs? Will i be arrested if i show a fellow passenger my pride & joy (the blades)? smile.gif Seriously, I suppose i need just get a permit? Those samuri swords are really cool (display purposes only, they are too good to use).<span id='postcolor'>

You can give them to the guys from the airport, they'll make sure that it gets to its destination so you can go pick it up when you arrive.

But you gotta watch out with stuff like that, it sometimes happens that things get lost....

You can also buy Samurais in some shops, weapons shops and stuff like that....

I've actually had a similar thought on my mind, I have a penknife, not a particularly special looking penknife, just a five inch thing with a locking blade, only reason it's special to me is that it was the knife my Dad used when he went fishing, after he died I kept it to use. Now say I were to go live in the USA or whatever, would I be able to mail the knife to myself? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 30 2002,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've actually had a similar thought on my mind, I have a penknife, not a particularly special looking penknife, just a five inch thing with a locking blade, only reason it's special to me is that it was the knife my Dad used when he went fishing, after he died I kept it to use. Now say I were to go live in the USA or whatever, would I be able to mail the knife to myself?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sure you can mail it to yourself... Or have a talk with someone of the staff of a plane, perhaps that person can keep the knife for you.

You can always mail it to yourself, give it to a family member and ask them to send it to you, nothing bad about that....

If I give you Å5 will you bring it to me? I'll pay for the plane ticket biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Oct. 01 2002,16:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've actually had a similar thought on my mind, I have a penknife, not a particularly special looking penknife, just a five inch thing with a locking blade, only reason it's special to me is that it was the knife my Dad used when he went fishing, after he died I kept it to use. Now say I were to go live in the USA or whatever, would I be able to mail the knife to myself?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

first, you might want to check if US allows such knife. AFAIK, federal limits length of blade that can be carried to 3.5 inches. and depending on state you are going to, some states have no-concealed weapon law, which you pen knife do fall under the category of concealable weapon.

if you want to bring it here, how about putting it in the bag you are putting in the cargo?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 30 2002,18:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I give you Å5 will you bring it to me? I'll pay for the plane ticket  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Make that 6!

Is it ok if i leave tomorrow? I'd like to get some rest before getting on the plane?

Ralp some countries also don't allow any knifes with 2 sharp sides, dunno about the US, but here in Belgium it's against the law to have one of these. (f.e. a bajonet)

And also, i suggest you make sure that it is allowed to put weapons in your bags, remember that guy with the toy gun that was the size of his finger? If that guy can get caught for having something like that, god knows what they'll do to you when they find a knife in your bags...

Just call the airport or something, they should be able to help you...

Why bother with mailing it? Just place it in the bagge you check in when boarding. As long as it isnt your carry-on baggage I doubt they would say anything about a 5 inch pocketknife. When I flew to Finland they just told me to put mine in the luggage next time...

Thanx for the info, I think I'll swallow if for the trip biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 30 2002,23:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanx for the info, I think I'll swallow if for the trip  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

WHat about metal detectors? biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I brought back a Samurai sword for my collection in my luggage. As long as its in the aircraft hold its okay, you just can't bring anything on in your hand luggage.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Oct. 02 2002,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't worry, I brought back a Samurai sword for my collection in my luggage. As long as its in the aircraft hold its okay, you just can't bring anything on in your hand luggage.<span id='postcolor'>

Rocket launchers, machine guns, Time bomb etc.. etc...

As long as it is in the luggage it's fine biggrin.gif