Sign in to follow this  
the amazing flight lizard

Stratis and Altis?

So I know it was suggested pretty much forever ago, and didn't wanna necro a post, but has BIS looked more seriously into putting Stratis and Altis on one map yet? I'm sure it's been done outside, by modders, but howsabout an official version? Far as I know it wouldn't take a huge amount of development resources, and it would be easier to get done and include in a patch than to have everyone try to look for it online somewhere.

So I know it was suggested pretty much forever ago, and didn't wanna necro a post, but has BIS looked more seriously into putting Stratis and Altis on one map yet? I'm sure it's been done outside, by modders, but howsabout an official version? Far as I know it wouldn't take a huge amount of development resources, and it would be easier to get done and include in a patch than to have everyone try to look for it online somewhere.

I don't think modders can edit the map. Even if it could be done you'd be looking at an extreme performance hit for little gain.

I agree with the above post. To run both maps at the same time would need a behemoth of a PC. That said as long as it was limited to the editor only (any campaigns, scenarios or showcases taking place on that size of map would prevent everyone bar those with the most powerful PCs to be able to play it) I don't think anyone would be opposed.

Edited by ARMAKrush

Far as I know it wouldn't take a huge amount of development resources and it would be easier to get done and include in a patch than to have everyone try to look for it online somewhere

Unless I'm mistaken, both maps have a different horizontal scale (Stratis is 5 meters I think, Altis 7.5 meters) so one of them would have to be scaled to the scale of the other one which in turn would make a lot of map objects float even worse than they do now. Even if they did it, they'd have to go through all the objects of the scaled island to ensure correct placement.

And why are you looking online somewhere for something that clearly doesn't exist?

Unless I'm mistaken, both maps have a different horizontal scale (Stratis is 5 meters I think, Altis 7.5 meters) so one of them would have to be scaled to the scale of the other one which in turn would make a lot of map objects float even worse than they do now.

That is the main issue I believe; the size of the terrain doesn't have any kind of impact on performances (unless I'm mistaken, it depends on the number of objects to be displayed at one time).

I don't think modders can edit the map. Even if it could be done you'd be looking at an extreme performance hit for little gain.

They might not be able to edit the maps themselves, but you can make a new terrain that copies and combines them.