Sign in to follow this  
deltagamer

Adjusting VTOL settings

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me out with adjusting the maneuverability of a V22 aircraft in Helicopter Mode. I was looking though previous configs for VTOL/VSTOL aircraft from ArmA 2 and I came across the following code below. I gave it a try and I couldn't really get it working in-game. Is there any chance someone could point me in the right direction when it comes to my problem?

/*		class VTOLSettings
	{
		WeightRmpty = 5934;
		WeightMaxVTOL = 10408;
		WeightMaxFuel = 3540;
		Thrust = 10793;
		VTOLSpeed = 180;
	};
*/

===EDIT===

This is the fix I found:

I now have everything working, I just need to make small adjustments to the values for the Plane Mode but apart from that I'm really happy with the outcome. How I managed to make the Helicopter mode more maneuverable was by moving the mass points in the Geometry Lod in Oxygen (example pic below) however that completely screws with the Plane Mode so I added the following code that seems to have fixed everything. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Example Picture

h7lgS5ps.jpg

(281 kB)

simulation = airplaneX;
rudderInfluence=0.5;
irScanRangeMin=500;
irScanRangeMax=5000;
irScanToEyeFactor=2;
aileronSensitivity=0.20000001;
elevatorSensitivity=0.30000001;
flapsFrictionCoef=0.31999999;

Edited by deltagamer

most likely will need to create flight model values for it (either old or new) to get changes

most likely will need to create flight model values for it (either old or new) to get changes

Are you talking about the new helicopter flight model? I was told that it wasn't possible to implement that as it didn't calculate the positions of the blade (or something similar to that).

the rotor lib does calculation regarding the simulation "HelicopterX" an MV22 use a "Plane" or "PlaneX" Simulation idk if its impossible but i highly doubt if it works at all with rotor lib and if by some off chance it does, the behavior will probably not be pleasant. there is alot of helicopterX simulation config lines that you can use, but i think it also applys to planes.

for example

frontRotorForceCoef = 1;//front rotor
	backRotorForceCoef = 1;//tailrotor
	maxhorizontalrotspeed = -0.5;
	maxverticalrotspeed = 0.1;
	envelope[] = {3.8,0.2,0.9,2.1,2.5,3.3,3.5,3.6,3.7,3.8,3.8,3,0.9,0.7,0.5};
	armor = 50;
	rudderInfluence = 0.01;
	backBladeRadius = 6;
	mainBladeRadius = 6;
	bodyFrictionCoef = 1.5;
	cyclicasideforcecoef = 0.29;//banking(these are how fast you bank in a direction) 
	cyclicaforwardforcecoef = 0.5;//fowards backwards.
	liftForceCoef = 1;

are a few things used to tweak helicopters before rotorlib was implemented, the current way i have no idea. You can try some of these entries and see if they have any effect on the VTOL maneuvering

Thanks i'll give it a try and see what the outcome is. I know Sakura_Chan managed to get his MV22 more maneuverable in helicopter mode. I sent him a PM asking how he done it and if he would be willing to help me out however I think his inbox is full.

Edited by deltagamer

@Sw4l I tried your code and the aircraft didn't seem to take off at all. I changed a few things in it to see if it would work at all and it didn't, thanks anyway.

So I'm still stuck on what to do.

i dont think the parameters you found are doing anything; its probably just some left over code - where did you find it?

if physx supports VTOL at all is another matter - i dont think it does

as far as i remember there have been some threads about it; try search and see if you can find them

planeX simulation does support vtol. You only need to set vtol=<IntegerHere>; I have mine at 3, but it also works with 10 and the lift power seems higher with it. Havent tested changing the integer apart from that.

How the plane controlls behaves at certain speed depends on rudder-, elevator- and aileronCoef

You can't use helicopter config parameters for it.

planeX simulation does support vtol. You only need to set vtol=<IntegerHere>; I have mine at 3, but it also works with 10 and the lift power seems higher with it. Havent tested changing the integer apart from that.

How the plane controlls behaves at certain speed depends on rudder-, elevator- and aileronCoef

You can't use helicopter config parameters for it.

Never knew that, thanks for letting me know. I'll see what I can do with the PlaneX setup and find out if I can make it handle better.

Edited by deltagamer

I've managed to get the aircraft more maneuverable in Helicopter Mode however the Plane Mode handles really badly. I'm going to see if I can fix the config so that it handles differently in plane mode now. Perhaps there is some kind of config that specifically changes aircraft handling when in Plane Mode that I don't know about. I'll post how I did it in the future once everything is figured out so it helps anyone who is also looking to do this.

Edited by deltagamer

Study the A3 sample plane config is all i can say... There is no distinction between vtol and non-vtol mode

I now have everything working, I just need to make small adjustments to the values for the Plane Mode but apart from that I'm really happy with the outcome. How I managed to make the Helicopter mode more maneuverable was by moving the mass points in the Geometry Lod in Oxygen (example pic below) however that completely screws with the Plane Mode so I added the following code that seems to have fixed everything. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Example Picture

h7lgS5ps.jpg

(281 kB)

simulation = airplaneX;
rudderInfluence=0.5;
irScanRangeMin=500;
irScanRangeMax=5000;
irScanToEyeFactor=2;
aileronSensitivity=0.20000001;
elevatorSensitivity=0.30000001;
flapsFrictionCoef=0.31999999;

Edited by deltagamer