Sign in to follow this  
Rydygier

ARTEMIS - Hunting Instinct AI mod

so this is like the predator from the movie right ?

had almost the same idea to create a private mod based on the half-life 2 mod "hidden source".

on a jungle island, only one predator vs the military, the military is all over the island, has theyr bases, soldiers, vehicles, jets, helicopters etc patrolling all over the map, you can decide what you want to play: as military or predator, if the military have you in sight, they will open fire and call reinforcement. helis, jets, tanks, more soldiers, vehicles etc would appear where you was in sight and they are watchful, you can cloak or uncloak yourself like in the predator movie, if you are in cloak mode, they cant see you directly so infantry, aircrafts, vehicles etc wont hit you directly and they will bomb the area for a short time where they spot you last time. if you are not in cloak mode, it is more easier to hit you but not 100% accurate. i wanted to give the predator the ability to jump from one tree to another and fast run mode and normal run mode.

that was my mod idea what i wanted to create, but never started.

glad someone made something similar :D

Thanks for informing us of the release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks Foxhound, as always. :)

so this is like the predator from the movie right ?

Something like that, just without using any fancy cloak, guns and stuff, just animal-like cleverness and instincts AI routines so, I think, there is still room for predator-like AI - would be really cool IMO. IIRC there was even Predator unit in A2. Also idea of one opfor against bands of blufor is refreshing, especially, if odds are against blufor in such confrontation. :)

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Added to recommendations newly released Ngwa-ngwa-dinta mission, that may be considered as immersive example of Artemis use, if one would like to download required mods...

Edited by Rydygier

Nice update.. the added debug info is very handy!!

For sure I found one thing to tweak in Artemis - hunter should react on hits...

I was going to post this but saw your reply in the Ngwa mission thread (great mission BTW.. don't know how you 'throw' something together like that so fast :) ). Hunters don't seem to react well (quickly) to taking fire... they should go into hide mode or charge I guess depending on distance to prey.

Also with 1.2 I can now spawn in raptors using DAC and add them to the RYD_ART_Hunters array on the fly... so thank you for that. Anyone wanting to see how it is done fire me a PM (you need to add an event in DAC_Config_Events.sqf).

If you decide to make this MP compatible I would be happy to help with testing.

:) Great, thanks.

Well. For a try added "Hit" EH for each hunter, so they should enter "hide" routine when hit, if not hiding/charging currently and not that close, when better is to attack, but so far frankly didn't saw any positive result of this change. It's a bit weird. I'm afraid, some AI clumsiness out of reach of my healing hands may be involved here. I mean, Artemis issues doMove command fast, but sometimes they just-dammit-not-follow. But I'll investigate this further. Another issue hard to solve is situation, when hunter thinks, he's hidden, while I can see him perfectly, because he is behind some tree, so I can see the tail and the head, while unit pos has obstructed LOS, so "officially" it's hidden. The only solution, I could think of, is ignoring objects, and taking into account only terrain in the LOS checks, but I do not like this too much.

Is there any way to check los from the extremities of the hunter? Perhaps Once the Hunter believes it is hidden, create an invisible unit/ gamelogic at the extremities of the hunter (tail, head etc) and do a los from that. Or maybe use attachto command for the gamelogics? No idea if that is possible, just spitballing here.

Yes, it's possible even without creating additional objects of any kind. But not precise and costly. Each LOS check is relative heavy for CPU. Artemis already does big amounts of LOS checks in some routines (to map sectorized area, which sectors are potentially visible for the prey, to plan out-of-LOS hiding path; one check per sector each time hiding routine is chosen, while there is lots of sectors). That would mean another x of them.

EDIT: anyway, there will be always risk of such situation. It's enough a hole between the leaves not covered by LOS check... So far using terrain shape seems the only reliable way (that would make the code significantly lighter by the way). But that means, instead of hiding behind a near house, hunter will run even much farther to hide behind the closest hill. So after all maybe better to leave his hiding abilities not 100% perfect. If I only could make him reacting reliably by repositioning when hit... It's still may be some my mistake, I could correct.

Edited by Rydygier

1.21 released. Changelog:

- Added new routine for fleeing when hit (reaction on accurate fire);

Of course, if is very close, will attack anyway.

Thank you very much for informing us of the release :cool:

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Yes, it's possible even without creating additional objects of any kind. But not precise and costly. Each LOS check is relative heavy for CPU. Artemis already does big amounts of LOS checks in some routines (to map sectorized area, which sectors are potentially visible for the prey, to plan out-of-LOS hiding path; one check per sector each time hiding routine is chosen, while there is lots of sectors). That would mean another x of them.

EDIT: anyway, there will be always risk of such situation. It's enough a hole between the leaves not covered by LOS check... So far using terrain shape seems the only reliable way (that would make the code significantly lighter by the way). But that means, instead of hiding behind a near house, hunter will run even much farther to hide behind the closest hill. So after all maybe better to leave his hiding abilities not 100% perfect. If I only could make him reacting reliably by repositioning when hit... It's still may be some my mistake, I could correct.

What if you just had each 'hiding' unit always face the direction of the prey as opposed to (possibly) being perpendicular? That would leave the least amount of 'profile' viewable by the prey and is probably an easy thing to implement (in my simple mind that is!!!).

Thanks for 1.21 version will test it out tonight.

in my simple mind

Simple is best. :) Good thinking. Not sure, if this will work reliably, but can check, if could be applied some additional doWatch commands. Thanks. :)

You think you could get the Hunter modules in the addon version to set the variables for the hunters?

Hm. Not sure. Must check out config of this feature - didn't tried it yet.

BTW anyone saw any black dot markers accumulating on the map when Artemis active? One guy on Armaholic said about that, while I'm unable to reproduce this. Thing is, there are black dot markers used for my personal debug, but was disabled (checked in the code and in game).

I did not see any black dot markers but I was using the script version.

I see what you mean about the odd behaviour at times - it seems the raptors get 'stuck' occasionally.. never in loiter mode always in ambush, charge modes. Sometimes they 'recover' and start moving again.

I did notice some odd LOS/knowsAbout behaviour as well (I assume the # in debug mode is the knowsAbout value?). I've seen raptors go into ambush mode with a knowsAbout value at 0. I also noticed the raptors will at times change modes back and forth quickly (ambush/charge) - in my test I was out of LOS of 3 raptors (behind a hill). Every time I turned away from their direction they would go into Charge mode.. if I turned back in their direction they immediately went into Ambush mode. It's like they know which way I am facing despite the fact they have no LOS on me.

If I remember correctly this might be a BIS AI problem - AI units don't seem to lower their knowsAbout value despite the target being out of LOS for some time... could be wrong tho :p

I've seen raptors go into ambush mode with a knowsAbout value at 0.

It's possible.

also noticed the raptors will at times change modes back and forth quickly (ambush/charge) - in my test I was out of LOS of 3 raptors (behind a hill). Every time I turned away from their direction they would go into Charge mode.. if I turned back in their direction they immediately went into Ambush mode. It's like they know which way I am facing despite the fact they have no LOS on me.

That's one of small "cheats" code uses. Not an issue. Another "cheat" is choosing behaviour based on prey's knowledge factor. In reality hunter has no idea, how much prey knows about it. So why? Either to save some heavy calculations (first case, hunter obviously can't see prey's watching direction without LOS, but to avoid even more LOS checks is assumed kind of 6th sense on this. IMHO harmless as for immersion, as no LOS means, prey can't see that anyway... unless use debug mode :) ) or to emulate anyhow factors not measureable in scripting (thus prey's knowledge factor matters - is assumed, prey will do certain things when notice the hunter, and judging by these things hunter may recognize, he was spotted).

EDIT: although I see, there may be an issue involved. Not forgetting about the target out of LOS is one thing, that could be taken into account, but there may be a mistake in recognition, which prey units are known/visible to the hunter. EDIT2: all right, not really an issue, just Artemis assumes, hunter see the prey if hunter's knowledge factor about the prey (not that in debug, that's prey knowledge about hunter) is higher than 3. There may be no LOS in such case, still hunter will behave, like he see, what prey does. This allows to save each cycle quite a few heavy calculations.

it seems the raptors get 'stuck' occasionally.. never in loiter mode always in ambush, charge modes.

Yes, that's the problem. Ambush means not moving, but charge - on the contrary. Reason unknown so far. Even not sure, if that's something on my end.

The good news for today - learned, how to configure modules in A3 style, so for addon version most settings will be accessible via module options, by the way added also module info content and three alternative ways to synchronize units. Still, before release I want to investigate further issues like above.

Edited by Rydygier

OK great thanks for the info!!

edit:

EDIT: although I see, there may be an issue involved. Not forgetting about the target out of LOS is one thing, that could be taken into account, but there may be a mistake in recognition, which prey units are known/visible to the hunter. EDIT2: all right, not really an issue, just Artemis assumes, hunter see the prey if hunter's knowledge factor about the prey (not that in debug, that's prey knowledge about hunter) is higher than 3. There may be no LOS in such case, still hunter will behave, like he see, what prey does. This allows to save each cycle quite a few heavy calculations.

I understand now that makes sense.. just seemed odd when I observed it in debug mode.

edit2: I just now realized the # in debug mode is the prey's knowledge level on hunters (for some reason I read it as the other way around). No wonder I was confused :p

Edited by SavageCDN

Let it be. 1.22 released. Changelog:

- Reorganized addon version: modules configured to A3 standard;

- most settings along with additional ways of synchronization for addon version moved into module options.

(nothing really changed this time for script version)

Thank you very much for informing us of the release :cool:

Hmm. Bizarre. Well, maybe in some earlier version I forgot to disable that part of debug, but for 1.21-1.22 I'm pretty sure, there is no such possibility. Checked several times. If black dots anyway happen to someone, I'm more than curious, how it's possible.

This script is really nice. I have tested it in some jungle and deep forest missions and it´s really frustrating to get killed by those bastards and not even noticing them approaching till it´s too late :D

This is amazing stuff, works wonders with the raptors pack.

Here's hoping someone is interested in making more predator kind of creatures. I remember there was a "Predator" mod for ArmA 2, something like that would be cool in ArmA 3. Not sure if the original author is still around though.