Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

The vanishing of Ethan Carter

I'm playing "The vanishing of Ethan Carter" now. Wow, it has a great athmosphere, and it is really really beautiful, a lot of love and detail. Interesting gameplay mechanics.

It is small (3-5 hrs?), you have to investigate things, its mysterious...

It has some success.

Good review (no spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-f8cNnZgpU

Gameplay video by developer (spoils a bit):

Explanations about the visuals:

http://www.theastronauts.com/2014/03/visual-revolution-vanishing-ethan-carter/

Best is, find out about everything, even game mechanics, by yourself.

Edited by tortuosit

I got this as soon as it came out. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it has hands down the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen in a video game, and runs at a superb framerate throughout. Of course the fact that it has no physics, AI, ballistics, scripting etc to worry about probably helps. It's also an intriguing and very well written story. Well worth the $.

I liked and would definitely play more games like this, though not for 20€.

At times i got a bit annoyed because the directions were either to vague, or completely non-existent. At one point i had been aimlessly walking around for an hour or so and decided to google a walkthough, because i could not find

the cave entrance to the mine

. I had been stumbling around it multiple times, but just didn't see it.

EDIT: Also: Best window-textures ever.

Edited by NeMeSiS

As for the graphics, I want a lot to be unseen - will I be able to enjoy other games again? :D (I will)

That rightclick-zoom/sloMo is a good idea, basically what I use it for is to enjoy the graphics even more.

Here on my GTX-570 it has good framerates, but stutters every ~2 seconds. Which is not a problem for me, as it is no shooter. I was simply too lazy to optimize it for my rig. Maybe loading of textures... but OTOH it's on a well working SSD.

Also, those 3D sheet scans :) I think this game may influence other game developers in a good way.

Here on my GTX-570 it has good framerates, but stutters every ~2 seconds. Which is not a problem for me, as it is no shooter. I was simply too lazy to optimize it for my rig. Maybe loading of textures... but OTOH it's on a well working SSD.

I ran it on a very old (163GB) HD and had no such stutter (SSD too full, other HD just died), maybe a lack of VRAM.

Although these "Dear Esther" type of games sounds to me more like walking simulators or tech demos I certainly appreciate the graphics in this one.

I saw it and it's simply fabulous.Also this game coming from an indie dev should slap those inept AAA devs with their insane requirements to try to achieve high graphic fidelity(Wolfenstein,soon to be released Evil Within and a few others comes to mind).

It reminds me of Myst but less difficult. Which in turn made me go see what those guys are doing, and they have a sequel planned for release next year. If its anything like its predecessors it will be stunning.

OFF TOPIC:

How do I get the ability to post threads? I've actually more important things to post but I don't want to derail an existing thread (like I am now). Is it a matter of reaching a post count or am I just doing it wrong?

It reminds me of Myst but less difficult. Which in turn made me go see what those guys are doing, and they have a sequel planned for release next year. If its anything like its predecessors it will be stunning.

OFF TOPIC:

How do I get the ability to post threads? I've actually more important things to post but I don't want to derail an existing thread (like I am now). Is it a matter of reaching a post count or am I just doing it wrong?

5 posts I believe, idea presumably being to stop spambots creating threads.

It reminds me of Myst but less difficult.

Interesting, I was thinking the same. Myst 1 was the game I played most back in the days. By far. Loved the series, but hugelove only until Riven.