Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

Urban pathfinding

So.....

I do realise A3 has ai issues particularly with veihicles ability to navigate obstacles etc.

But untill today it didnt bother me too much,because there are init commands that for example,that can reduce or lock vehicle speed,scripts to unstuck units etc.

However making a mission tonight using the ghost hotel on Altis,i came to the question of why bohemia would even introduce a large structue like that when there is no way for the ai to navigate it.

I have a mod called WWAI, great mod that adds new menu for commanding your team,one great feature is clear/garrison building-works a treat and as intended.Tried it today on ghost hotel,ai were entirely useless attempting to navigate the secone floor.

So i decided to manually tell the group to follow/regroup.Yet when i went upstairs the team remained on ground floor(imagine enimies on 2nd floor,there are 20 odd rooms i believe)

frustrating,the to be even more manual,i tried to tell each team member to go into a room.I pointed my cursor at the room,but did not get a prompt for it.Therefore the game dosent recognize it as a position...... So whats the point of including them??? There are side stairs also that do have positions(possible enimies there too via a fill house script courtest of spun fin) but my team will not follow with me and if i point to the position and tell them go there,they simply spaz out reply NIET!! NO SIR!!! Well f*** you guys.

Is there some "trick" to this,has anyone navigated places like ghost hotel,or the big hospital?Its very limitating to the games future with single player in terms of cqb/urban missions,as they become to annoying,just the same way vehicle missions are mostly,or it requires a tonne of effort to script "better conditions" for ai.

BIS should not have put the ghost hotel/hospital and few other buildings in the game without testing AI could navigate them.....blindfolded and wounded.

If BIS added things to the game based on how the AI coped with them, Altis would be a big flat field with a straight road running through it.

If BIS added things to the game based on how the AI coped with them, Altis would be a big flat field with a straight road running through it.

shots fired! ;) kinda true sadly.

the AI in ArmA is so screwed, it is only good for zombie missions. in zombie missions, AI dont have to shoot, drive, fly, land so they cant aimbot you or screw theyr vehicles when they turn somewhere. but even on some zombie missions, the AI walk through walls, buildings, objects etc. which shows the AI is pretty much screwed, no matter what gamemode you want to play or how you want the AI to use. the only zombie mission where the AI behave well was dynamic zombie sandbox, the zombies (AI) there spawned inside buildings and if you went into a building, they followed you, even upstairs and they have no noclip there.

its not possible to have a good war mission with this AI where they do not follow your commands and the indoor problems and driving and so on

the AI in ArmA is so screwed, it is only good for zombie missions. in zombie missions, AI dont have to shoot, drive, fly, land so they cant aimbot you or screw theyr vehicles when they turn somewhere. but even on some zombie missions, the AI walk through walls, buildings, objects etc. which shows the AI is pretty much screwed, no matter what gamemode you want to play or how you want the AI to use. the only zombie mission where the AI behave well was dynamic zombie sandbox, the zombies (AI) there spawned inside buildings and if you went into a building, they followed you, even upstairs and they have no noclip there.

its not possible to have a good war mission with this AI where they do not follow your commands and the indoor problems and driving and so on

So true.

It'd be a much better game if the Ai felt/acted more natural in their way of moving, shooting and turning in- and outdoors.

In terms of buildings and AI there are AI mods/scripts that take care of that.

DAC AI sometimes uses buildings. There are others too.

I decided against using AI in buildings because clearing every house in Kavala just gets tedious.

http://lostvar.com/arma3/documentation.html

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165089-AI-Spawn-Script-Pack

Fillhouse

In terms of buildings and AI there are AI mods/scripts that take care of that.

DAC AI sometimes uses buildings. There are others too.

I decided against using AI in buildings because clearing every house in Kavala just gets tedious.

http://lostvar.com/arma3/documentation.html

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165089-AI-Spawn-Script-Pack

Fillhouse

Would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of some good "squad" ai mods?I already use WWAI which is essential.If your reading this now and dont have it-get it.

I dont need mods like bcombat(already use it) that are for general ai skills,maybe a mod for making your own squad better,stick close to player,navigate better etc.

Been browsing bis forums for a while and havnt come across too much.I simply dont think its possible to improve these bots.

This wasnt arant,i love arma,and its still the best single player exprience as i can creat what I want in a mission.But something serious needs to be done with AI,particularly squad AI.