zapat

GetTactical - a tactical-RTS interface

Is it always or sometimes only (when eg. a lot is going on: firefight, BlastCore explosions, Laxemann's enhanced soundscape, etc)

Always ... at least for me. Whenever I have units out of sight, this happens ...

Okay, thanks. A lot of updates came out since I last spit it on this fcker. When was it? In May? 

But I am getting back to business so... :)

I am thinking on including a setting to turn that feature off, but it would be cheating wouldn't it.

Okay, thanks. A lot of updates came out since I last spit it on this fcker. When was it? In May? 

I am thinking on including a setting to turn that feature off, but it would be cheating wouldn't it.

What do u mean turn it off?

so it won't hide anything. As it seems to have some problems unhiding them upon exiting the interface. Well as it seems it has some problems properly hiding vehicles too. :)

But being able to look around freely and spot anything behind something else is considered to be cheating in my dictionary.

ooo I c ... Well u could make two versions of it. One with and one without the feature .. maybe toggleable .....

but having units invisible is also cheating for the AI lol

Yes, but it is buggy. They are supposed to come back after exiting the top-down view. Gonna look into it next week, thanks for the report. 

I still have no idea which part changes official menu text sizes. I have a looot of controls some of them may have the same idcs as the main menu. :)

• Like 1

Looking forward to it ... This would be an amazing New Year's present!

:D

Zapat I did some further testing ...

So apparently this starts to happen when u press in and out of CAPSLOCK in a short amount of time .... If u do that, eventually you get a lag when trying to get out of Tactical view by pressing CAPSLOCK. If u press Real Time before the system has time to get out on its own, the invisible units bug appears. If u, however, despite of the lag (it might even appear that the view is frozen) let the tactical view on its own, the bug wont happen ... Hope this helps u narrow it down (I think the hidden and reappear feature gets behind this way as the system resumes too quickly before it has time to process all the units around)

I did a few more tests and I can tell u the problem is with the pause button. If u use the Tactical View but NEVER pause it (always keep in real time) the problem does not happen. If u, however, press the pause mode, the bug eventually occurs ....

• Like 1

Zapat I did some further testing ...

So apparently this starts to happen when u press in and out of CAPSLOCK in a short amount of time .... If u do that, eventually you get a lag when trying to get out of Tactical view by pressing CAPSLOCK. If u press Real Time before the system has time to get out on its own, the invisible units bug appears. If u, however, despite of the lag (it might even appear that the view is frozen) let the tactical view on its own, the bug wont happen ... Hope this helps u narrow it down (I think the hidden and reappear feature gets behind this way as the system resumes too quickly before it has time to process all the units around)

Thanks, this was helpful.

Here is what happens: if you enter the interface a loop will start to hide all units. If you exit, it will start to unhide them. Now if you enter and exit too fast, hiding may have not finished, so it re-hides the units. I have a theoretical fix, update is due within a week to fix this problem.

• Like 1

OH YES. magic about to happen - it's good to have you back!

Thanks, this was helpful.

Here is what happens: if you enter the interface a loop will start to hide all units. If you exit, it will start to unhide them. Now if you enter and exit too fast, hiding may have not finished, so it re-hides the units. I have a theoretical fix, update is due within a week to fix this problem.

U just made my day sir!

So here it is - not yet frontpaged, please test it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we4vopcgqyociid/GetTacticalADDONv1_11.zip?dl=0

Changelog:

-hide mechanism rewritten from scratch

-interference with default UI is fixed

-forced move tweaked (it's still jaggy, but it is as good as it can get)

-the switched-to-unit's name is shown when exiting the interface (I usually get lost in who I just switched into)

-some smaller fixes I don't remember.

"OH YES. magic about to happen - it's good to have you back!"

Magic?

lol, no. No magic is planned to happen here. ( You "won" by making your addon multiplayer compatible :) )

I am rather concentrating on finishing my mission which I've been making for 5 years now, than adding new stuff  to/ developing GTI.

OOOOh my ... It's Christmas all over again!  :D

Downloading and testing it as soon as I can ...

Thank U Zapat for ur efforts

Ok ... just tested it and I must say WOW!!! I love the names popping up on the screen over the selected unit ... Perfect

No invisible units so far as well ....

I'll report more later after enjoying it a bit more lol

I literally just returned from a break from ARMA, and I couldn't have come back at a better time.

Hey zap if you plan on going back to work on your mission, do you think you can incorporate some sort of pausing mechanism when managing inventory? Just so I can spend all the time I need to when doing so. Better yet if you can make the inventory management a stand alone addon... That gear swap within squad and interact with ANY nearby items is brilliant in its own right.

Addon version: not gonna happen. It's a major pain in the ass in its own right, lol. If I took it to a generic addon area, geesh. Nobody would pay me to do such. :D

Although something experimental addon should happen: the other day I tried to play without my tools: I had no idea how to do basic things in the default game anymore, so I stopped playing in like 7 minutes, and got some more power that I need to finish this. I'd love to play Arma, I just can't without what I imagined. :D

Pausing mechanism, right, you cheating %!+!+%, you :)  Go to cover and start packing your things while your team is setup to protect you - sounds the original idea. However I've been playing with the idea myself too, and it would solve problems like what happens if you get killed while dragging an item and such nice things, galore. :)

Addon version: not gonna happen. It's a major pain in the ass in its own right, lol. If I took it to a generic addon area, geesh. Nobody would pay me to do such. :D

Although something experimental addon should happen: the other day I tried to play without my tools: I had no idea how to do basic things in the default game anymore, so I stopped playing in like 7 minutes, and got some more power that I need to finish this. I'd love to play Arma, I just can't without what I imagined. :D

You do realize while there are many good people making SP contents, you're the only one who developes these game changing features?

Pausing mechanism, right, you cheating %!+!+%, you :)  Go to cover and start packing your things while your team is setup to protect you - sounds the original idea. However I've been playing with the idea myself too, and it would solve problems like what happens if you get killed while dragging an item and such nice things, galore. :)

Well I'm already cheating by using GTI am I not? ;)

But seriously when you think about it this is not too different from pausing when issuing commands. When you have to think for the entire squad, make decisions for the AIs, you deserve to have more time. And there are the time sensitive situations where you just can't afford to spend anymore ingame time with the inventory menu.

BTW, I speed hack all the time in SP. Now thats cheating.

You do realize while there are many good people making SP contents, you're the only one who developes these game changing features?

Well, I aim for that thing in my head: the ultimate game I'd like to play. Arma is soo close to that, but needs some hundred hours of pushing to get there. :)

But there are other cool stuff: C2, Enhanced movement, all the soundmods. They are also game changing. But you are right: what is this number compared to the 15000 scenarios, 800 mods on steam...

Well I'm already cheating by using GTI am I not? ;)

But seriously when you think about it this is not too different from pausing when issuing commands. When you have to think for the entire squad, make decisions for the AIs, you deserve to have more time. And there are the time sensitive situations where you just can't afford to spend anymore ingame time with the inventory menu.

No, you are not. But you make up for the handicap you have with controlling bots with a mouse instead of commanding people with voice.

With a paused gearmanager, you shoot, pause, change weapons, change scopes, reload, unpause and shoot. You pause, search a body 10 meters from you, take the medkit, take a mag because you shot your last round, reload, unpause. These scenarios are my concern. These should take time. On one hand I hear you, on the other I love the excitement when you need to act fast: whether you get shoot while trying to loot something necessary, or not.

Btw, what is speed hack?

I never thought I can use inventory management like that.... Anyways its not my intended purpose to use that in direct combat. Though I may want to swap ammo between ammo bearer and gunner in combat. To me its more about managing the inventory of the AI. But with such diversed play style as ARMA, if someone choose to play that way, why not let them.

Well I do things in slow motion. Before GTI thats the only way I can manage a squad as I assume you can testify. I stil do just to make shooting easier... And I do that in other games.

After a few hours I can safely say the invisible units bug is gone zapat ... Thank u so much for this awesome update. I can finally play Arma again!

Magic?

lol, no. No magic is planned to happen here. ( You "won" by making your addon multiplayer compatible :) )

I am rather concentrating on finishing my mission which I've been making for 5 years now, than adding new stuff  to/ developing GTI.

oh - well I think i don't think I 'won' as there is no competition :) C2 would not be sh*t without you in the first place, you almost own a part of it.

GTI actually turns Arma into a different game, a strategy game (speaking of game changing), and the brilliance in execution is unmatched by anything including a lot of official content. I hope the saga will continue. But whatever you work on, I'd bet money it will be mind bending.

Campaign still seems to hate GTI...*Sigh* And those happen to be the small unit SP scenario where GTI can truly shine.