Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

8 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

I guess because of that link, auto spam detection.

Looks like the post has been released now

So, I corrected two typos in revealed post, which made the post disappear entirely from page 21 and clicking on page 22 gives only this:

forum-error.jpg

Funny. I wonder, if I broke the thread only for myself, or for all?

EDIT: posting this "repaired" 22 page for me, and wip8 post is back. Pink again. Did I mention, it's funny?

That post is cursed. Weird, that previous links in the posts didn't have that effect.

22 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

So, I corrected two typos in revealed post, which made the post disappear entirely from page 21 and clicking on page 22 gives only this:

forum-error.jpg

Funny. I wonder, if I broke the thread only for myself, or for all?

EDIT: posting this "repaired" 22 page for me, and wip8 post is back. Pink again. Did I mention, it's funny?

That post is cursed. Weird, that previous links in the posts didn't have that effect.

This is the only post I see on page 22 at the moment and I don't see a post with wip8 on page 21. Oddly enough when I went back to page 21 to look for it, I got the forum notice that there is a new post. I clicked the link that says "go to new post" but it just dropped me back on page 22 with just this single post on it. Any chance that you could repost that comment in it's entirety, especially with the link for wip8? Thanks.

Edit: I even tried loading the thread in a different browser (thus not logged in and nothing cached) and I still can't see that post.

All right, I split the cursed post into two, one with text, and another with the link alone, but i change the file name slightly in hope, it will not trigger this anti-spam filter. Text first:

- free choice button disabled, when whole map mode selected (pointless in this mode);

- free choice click has to be within defined battlefield area or will be futile (it was possible to choose a battlefield in normal mode out of RydBB_MC area, which led to "no forces" exit);

- added new variables to customize victory conditions for whole map mode (not tested thoroughly), with their default values:

1. How much objective lost/taken should affect morale.

RYD_WS_MoraleObjCoeffL = 1;//losing
RYD_WS_MoraleObjCoeffG = 1;//gaining

It is multiplier of default morale impact at every objective taken/lost. By default, a side will lose 10 morale divided equally between all Leaders (5 per Leader). By default a side will gain 20 morale divided equally between all Leaders (10 per Leader).

So, if you set for example L to 0 and G to 100, sides will not lose any morale due to objective lost, and will gain 1000 morale per Leader at each objective taken (which basically mean guaranteed reset to nominal morale value - 0 (morale ranges from 0 to -50, oddly enough, I know...). Setting both to 0.1 will reduce any objectives morale impact to 10% of default. Technically, negative values are possible, in that case gaining objective will lower the morale, and losing - will raise it. 🙂

2. How big part of not taken initially objectives side need to take in order to win the battle by "domination", per side.

RYD_WS_TakeToWinA = -1;
RYD_WS_TakeToWinB = -1;

"A" side is always player's side. Typical values range from 0 to 1, where 0 mean 0% of not taken objectives and 1 - 100% of not taken objectives. Not taken objectives are all, that aren't taken by given side already at battle begin (include not taken by anyone and initially taken by the enemy). For example A = 0.5 means, that A side need to take (control simultaneously) at least half (50%) of objectives, that wasn't taken by A side at the start. If value is negative, this victory condition is disabled, if value is >1, this condition is enabled, but never fulfilled. Value = 0 means automatic victory soon after battle beginning. 

For customization of default values, variables should be typed into the Advanced Setup window as usual. 

and the link:

HWS wip8

EDIT: so I posted text and link separately. It was text, that triggered the anti-spam filter, not the link. But text is necessary as explanation, so I'll try to add it as a picture to deceive the filter:

forum-error-exp.jpg

Yay.

• Like 2

It works fine in Shapur now. It's great for some quick action. Only thing that could be improved is to allow for the battle to continue even if one of the sides is ordered to retreat. Trying to get away successfully or pursuing a fleeing enemy can also be interesting, especially when the battle was short

• Like 1

Everything seems to be working fine for me as well and tweaking the new variables seems to be extending play time. With each wip update I've been porting the mission to Livonia again. Is it possible to just drop the updated files (minus mission.sqm) into the ported mission folder and have it work okay without the need to port the mission each time? Thanks.

Is it possible to just drop the updated files (minus mission.sqm) into the ported mission folder and have it work okay without the need to port the mission each time?

Should be OK that way as long I do not change, what's placed on the map, and I've no such plans. In fact, if it runs smoothly, there's hope for official 1.10 release soon. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Should be OK that way as long I do not change, what's placed on the map, and I've no such plans. In fact, if it runs smoothly, there's hope for official 1.10 release soon. 

Thanks for the info. And oddly enough, the cursed post now shows up on page 21 and again on this page for me. Weird.

Invisible hand of the Moderator.

Manwhile, official 1.10 release:

HWS 1.10

- New "Armor Density" setting: NONE. If chosen, both forces should be composed statistically around 80% of infantry and 20% of motorized (+supports). No mechanized/tanks;
- new "Faction" setting: MULTI. If chosen, additional list should show up with all factions of selected side. It allows to choose multiple factions per side (forces should be randomly picked from the pool of groups from all selected factions);
- new init setting for customized separation between forces of each faction;
- new camera handling code for spectator mode - looking less artifical, and more like the camera operator was a human being (camera stabilized, but controlled "by hand", may work less fluid with foot infantry units). Press SPACE to enforce scene switch, anything else - to exit; 
- new game mode: WHOLE MAP. It utilizes part of Hetman code called Big Boss to produce a battle over large areas and multiple strategic points to take. Both armies divided into two separately commanded divisions. It comes along with new Advanced Setup variables to customize victory conditions:
    How much objective lost/taken should affect morale:

RYD_WS_MoraleObjCoeffL = 1;//losing
        RYD_WS_MoraleObjCoeffG = 1;//gaining

It is multiplier of default morale impact at every objective taken/lost. By default, a side will lose 10 morale at objective lost and gain 20 at taken - divided equally between all Leaders (respectively 5 and 10 per Leader).

How big part of not taken initially objectives side need to take in order to win the battle by "domination", per side:

RYD_WS_TakeToWinA = -1;
        RYD_WS_TakeToWinB = -1;

"A" side is always player's side. Typical values range from 0 to 1, where 0 mean 0% of not taken objectives (auto-win) and 1 - 100% of not taken objectives. Not taken are objectives initially not under given side control (not controlled + those controlled by the enemy). Value -1 disables this condition;

- new Advanced setup variables - Leaders are placed, preferably in some building, along with some infantry as bodyguards and near mechanized group as additional protection. In the whole map mode it's enabled by default, disabled in single objective mode:
    RYD_WS_LeadersPoofItsMagic = true;//to enable
    RYD_WS_LeadersPoofItsMagic = false;//to disable;

- few other changes.

Steam Wokshop entry updated. 

So, HWS updated to 1.10. Something in used description still triggers anti-spam filter, so release post is hidden. Again. But you have the links and changelog in the first post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the 1.10 release. I ported the scenario to Livonia and posted it to the workshop should anyone want it. Ignore all the change note entries. I kept getting some message about the Steam overlay not being enabled (although it is!) and didn't realize that the upload was going through successfully until after the 3rd or 4th try. I also found that publishing something to the SWS is a bit of a pain in the ass due to the small type and the fact that I can barely see the cursor, so it took me a number of tries to get rid of all the typos. I'm OCD about things like that so I didn't quit until it looked just right to me. Also, try as I might, I could not get rid of the multiplayer tag. Every time I removed it, it showed right back up after saving the tag entries. That explains why so many HWS ports on the SWS say that HWS is multiplayer. Anyway, I'm new to the porting thing but everything seems to work properly. Just let me know if there are any problems with the port. You can find it here under the Steam name (Fox Mulder) that my son uses:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1938318772

• Like 2

Quick question about the invisible officers. I was trying out the wip8 version and an enemy officer marker showed up on the map although I couldn’t actually see them. If I was to flatten that area, would it kill them?

On 12/16/2019 at 5:07 PM, scimitar said:

Thanks for the 1.10 release. I ported the scenario to Livonia and posted it to the workshop should anyone want it. 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1938318772

I will have to update all the ports I did too. That Multiplayer tag thing is a real nuisance.

• Like 1

If I was to flatten that area, would it kill them?

The real, invisible Leaders are made also immune to damage, so no. Question is, if the marker, you saw, was pointing such Leader, because there shouldn't be a marker for them unless on the very beginning of the battle. If so however, treat his marker as a false intel, there should be no way to affect hidden Leader in ways available inside the simulation.  

7 hours ago, alky_lee said:

I will have to update all the ports I did too. That Multiplayer tag thing is a real nuisance.

I plan to port the mission to some more terrains as well but I think I'll try to do it with some terrains that haven't been done for HWS before. I don't care for arid, semi-arid or tropical terrains though, so I just need to look around and see which ones would be good candidates for my needs. I also need to try porting some pre-A3 terrains as well as I haven't done that yet and I think there are some good ones that could benefit from HWS. 

2 minutes ago, scimitar said:

I plan to port the mission to some more terrains as well but I think I'll try to do it with some terrains that haven't been done for HWS before. I don't care for arid, semi-arid or tropical terrains though, so I just need to look around and see which ones would be good candidates for my needs. I also need to try porting some pre-A3 terrains as well as I haven't done that yet and I think there are some good ones that could benefit from HWS. 

I have started with Weferlingen (Summer) but not recommended for Whole Map mission. I had the two sides on different sides of the Iron Curtain. Although OPFOR could cross, BLUFOR couldn't so when OPFOR retreated, that was pretty much the end, but a moral victory if nothing else.

I haven't had much luck with Weferlingen either due to Blufor being unable to cross the border. It's a shame really as it's a good map otherwise.

Well, it was Cold War after all... There are EDEN modules allowing to hide some map objects. Should include the wall parts to make it passable for the AI perhaps. 

4 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

Well, it was Cold War after all... Perhaps there are EDEN modules allowing to erase some map objects? Like the wall parts. But I never really went deep into EDEN tools myself, so not sure. 

There is a border crossing mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1728352565  or should be able to hide things in the editor, but the biggest stumbling block is the raised obstacles which may still be a problem 

Such objects like this crossing, even, if passable for the player, may be still an obstacle for the AI anyway (like it was/is for gates, even when opened, for example). I would guess, if one would remove blocking map objects (module for hiding objects may work with any kind of possible path blockers, not sure, but I would guess so), AI should be able to pass unless there's some slope, that is too steep. 

It's beyond my ability to implement but I wonder if there is a way to pre-plant explosives in the mission setup to destroy ground structures and walls/fences that would go off shorty after the mission starts or by some sort of trigger when either side approaches the border. That way there would be ways for both sides to cross the border. Such explosive did exist IRL during the Cold War but they were primarily positioned (at least on the Western side) to bring down bridges and other structures as well as natural barriers to hinder enemy troop movements in the event of a border crossing. At least that's what I was told when I toured the border in 1984 as a young soldier.

Explosives can be used too one way or another, although they may not remove a building, just replace it with ruined variant, but using EDEN module luckilly is trivial in practice, the matter of few clicks. Example:

Spoiler

module-hide.jpg

Result in game (comparison):

Spoiler

Before:

module-hide-e1.jpg

after:

module-hide-e2.jpg

User can adjust the shape of erased area and filter, which types of objects should be gone. 

• Like 1

In any case, there's also ordnance module that could fake an explosive material detonation:

Spoiler

module-ordnance.jpg

Still, I doubt, it will solve the wall problem. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Such objects like this crossing, even, if passable for the player, may be still an obstacle for the AI anyway (like it was/is for gates, even when opened, for example). I would guess, if one would remove blocking map objects (module for hiding objects may work with any kind of possible path blockers, not sure, but I would guess so), AI should be able to pass unless there's some slope, that is too steep. 

Using the editing module to hide the terrain object will hide the wall but AI pathfinding doesn't always recognise that there is a gap. By hiding part of the wall and part of the fence I was able to get AI to go through on a simple MOVE waypoint. This could provide some fierce action at these pinchpoints. Just need to pick some strategic points to do so.