ruthberg

Advanced Ballistics (WIP)

Thanks. It does not tell much, but at least it's something.

Edit: Seems there is a similar round in use by US armed forces. They call it the M948, or simply, SLAP.

Edit2: The M948 is apparently not the same round. It is heavier, and has slightly lower V0. It is commonly used on the miniguns you see on helicopters. In Jane's Ammunition Handbook they mentioned something they call "SLAP sniper" which has exactly the same data as the one on the Swedish site Ruthberg linked to. Sadly, it does not reveal anything more than I already know.

Edited by Brisse

but aren't any inconsistencies you are talking about going to be unavoidable unless every mod maker uses the same exact ballistic data? I assume an example of an inconsistency you are talking about would be something like gun A and gun B, which both shoot the same cartridge, have a different amount of drop at 500m? In case it's not, what is an example of an inconsistency you are referring to?

No. I'm talking about inconsistencies like a weapon supporting ( and using ) Ruthberg great work, and another that doesn't. With such a mod, you either go hard ( aka values being applied to every single weapon you have in your modpack ) or you don't, because there's nothing worse than having proper values with a gun, than shooting another one and ending with vanilla values because it doesn't have the proper lines in the config files. That's what i mean with inconsistencies.

Nobody is to blame here, at all, but i just want to avoid that kind of experience to my players.

Therefore i wonder what the solution could be. Creating a database ( some kind of wiki ) with premade AB values ( per ammo and weapons ) ready to be included in CfgWeapons and CfgAmmo ? I mean, we can't just spam Ruthberg with every weapon mod in the universe and wait for him to provide values, it will become problematic past a certain point don't you think ?

If there is any weapon pack you would like to have config data for, then just ask in this thread and I am most likely going to include it into the next release version.

Well i was thinking about VTN recently. But i should warn you : that's a big one. There's a truckload of weapons ( AK varians as far as the eye can see ) and ammo types.

perhaps you still use the old version of trixie's? have you tried the modified version of Trixie's Sniper/Marksman Pack that makes use of the new AB ammo types (the included M107s are now able to shoot .416 Barrett and .50 BMG Hornady A-MAX)? Modified Trixie's

.408CT is extremely accurate even beyond its max effective range. it's advertised to be able to stay stable even at transonic or subsonic range, but i've never shot that round in real life though lol XD With the AB, my longest .408CT shot is 2600 m, first round hit. AB's 408CT has very small dispersion, able to produce super tight shot group even at extreme range \m/

Ya, the combination of tight groups and the bullet trajectory matching damn near perfect to the calculator makes the .408 a no brainer when I need to make a really long shot, but damn 2600m is impressive. I've been playing using the ALiVE mod with a ton of AI and my PC can't maintain a smooth frame rate with that many units spawned unless I cut the object and ALiVE's virtual profiler distance down to about 1700m, so thus far any shots longer than that have only been at steel poppers on Ruthbergs 360 course.

I think I got the Trixie pack off Armaholic. I wasn't aware there was an updated/modified pack so thanks, I'll definitely be checking that out.

So I have to ask, did you stumble into this game/mod as a result of having to cut back on outdoor activities recently? I hope everything is well. I've been a big fan of your sniper 101 series. I came across your videos earlier this year when I was planning on slapping together a precision rifle, and watched all (I think there were 70 something at the time) of them within a weeks worth of evenings/nights...totally hooked. Thanks so much for your continued contributions. Maybe a future installation of the 101 series will feature some Arma with the use of AB. ;)

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

No. I'm talking about inconsistencies like a weapon supporting ( and using ) Ruthberg great work, and another that doesn't. With such a mod, you either go hard ( aka values being applied to every single weapon you have in your modpack ) or you don't, because there's nothing worse than having proper values with a gun, than shooting another one and ending with vanilla values because it doesn't have the proper lines in the config files. That's what i mean with inconsistencies.

As far as I've noticed, all of the guns are following this mod with respect to the bullet flight being effected by atmospheric conditions. I think having a gun that has/has not been configured is just the difference between corrected drag, velocity, etc. and will vary from mod to mod. The choice, to me, is having inconsistencies with simple vanilla ballistics, or inconsistencies within a set of much more realistic ballistics. Either way, inconsistency is inevitable until either all mod makers use the same ballistic data, or someone like Ruthberg configures every single addon, which we know is not realistic to expect or even suggest.

Edited by DGeorge85

The only long-term solution I can imagine is to encourage weapon mod makers to provide additional configuration data that can then be used by mods like AdvancedBallistics. Which some mod makers thankfully already do.

@Ruthberg: here i give you another ballistics tables of 300 AAC Blackout and .303 British :) please put these tables on the first page as well ;) well i guess it pretty much wraps it all, i've given you all your bullets ballistics tables, these two are the last ones unless you add another projectiles :pistols:

forgive me for being pushy & greedy but I would be very grateful if you could add .300 Win Mag (MK 248) and some more high-BC 6.5 mm bullets to your mod :) it'd be an awesome Christmas gift for us lol thank you so much for everything you've done for us, Ruthberg :')

I've been a big fan of your sniper 101 series. I came across your videos earlier this year when I was planning on slapping together a precision rifle, and watched all (I think there were 70 something at the time) of them within a weeks worth of evenings/nights...totally hooked. Thanks so much for your continued contributions.

glad you like the sniper 101 series, George :) please subscribe, keep watching, & don't forget to spread the knowledge to others ;)

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

@Ruthberg: here i give you another ballistics tables of 300 AAC Blackout and .303 British :)
I cannot thank you enough for creating those ballistic tables. It saved me a lot of time and they're much better than the ones I could create.
I would be very grateful if you could add .300 Win Mag (MK 248) and some more high-BC 6.5 mm bullets to your mod
I'll add them, but - as always - we also need in-game weapons that are able to shoot those. Maybe I can find some.

Edit: I also thought about adding a feature, or at least providing a special sandbox mission, that allows you to change your ammo parameters (and maybe environmental conditions as well) on-the-fly.

Well i was thinking about VTN recently. But i should warn you : that's a big one. There's a truckload of weapons ( AK varians as far as the eye can see ) and ammo types.
I'll include config data for it in the next release. Edited by Ruthberg

Edit: I also thought about adding a feature, or at least providing a special sandbox mission, that allows you to change your ammo parameters (and maybe environmental conditions as well) on-the-fly.

I thought about that very same thing (custom ammo maker) the other day, along with coding in an accuracy potential coefficient to roughly reflect barrel harmonics. Nothing crazy like trying to simulate/reproduce the vertical variation from barrel whip, but simply more or less accuracy depending on velocity. It would be cool to have to go out and test a bunch of different "loads" before knowing you are getting the most out of a rifle.

Quick question: "airFriction = -X;" does not matter at all when AB is in control of things? True or false?

I want people to be able to enjoy the "forces pack" with, or without AB, and I want ballistics to be as good as possible in both cases. Can I safely adjust airfriction after I nailed the AB parameters, without affecting the trajectory when AB is running? It seems to work that way, but I want to be sure.

Quick question: "airFriction = -X;" does not matter at all when AB is in control of things? True or false?
Correct.

I'll add them, but - as always - we also need in-game weapons that are able to shoot those. Maybe I can find some.

hell yeah! now this would be a nice x'mas gift! perhaps you could load the MK 248 in the .308 rifles like M24, M40, etc? coz basically .300 WM & .308 are same calibers. The U.S. government purchased MK 248 MOD 1 in 2009 for use in the adapted & re-barreled M24A2.

and perhaps you could load the 6.5 mm in MXM rifle?

I also thought about adding a feature, or at least providing a special sandbox mission, that allows you to change your ammo parameters (and maybe environmental conditions as well)

now this'd be the most freaking badass x'mas gift ever! please make this happen! :D

Santa Ruthberg is coming to town, hell yeah \m/

Edited by TiborasaurusRex

Proof-of-concept sandbox mission:

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Altis.pbo

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Stratis.pbo

arma3_2014_12_14_16_5zruq7.jpg

You can modify the muzzle velocity, drag model and ballistic coefficient on-the-fly by executing the scripts shown in the screenshot. The example represents a 6.5x47mm Lapua 139gr HPBT Scenar bullet.

Example script code:

AB_Custom_MuzzleVelocity = 820;
AB_Custom_DragModel = 7;
AB_Custom_BallisticCoefficients = [0.29];
AB_Custom_VelocityBoundaries = [];
AB_Custom_AtmosphereModel = "ICAO";

Edited by Ruthberg

Proof-of-concept sandbox mission:

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Altis.pbo

AdvancedBallistics_Sandbox.Stratis.pbo

http://abload.de/thumb/arma3_2014_12_14_16_5zruq7.jpg

You can modify the muzzle velocity, drag model and ballistic coefficient on-the-fly by executing the scripts shown in the screenshot. The example represents a 6.5x47mm Lapua 139gr HPBT Scenar bullet.

Example script code:

AB_Custom_MuzzleVelocity = 820;
AB_Custom_DragModel = 7;
AB_Custom_BallisticCoefficients = [0.29];
AB_Custom_VelocityBoundaries = [];
AB_Custom_AtmosphereModel = "ICAO";

Holy Cow!!! What an awesome job, Ruthberg! :yay: you're absolutely the greatest! \m/

how do i install this sandbox? just like the 360° Training Course? how do i bring up that console thingy? how do i modify the scripts? can you gimme some tutorial coz i suck at scripting :( and if i change the ammo parameters through this sandbox mission, will it change the AB parameters in general?

1. Place the PBO files into your ...\Arma 3 - Other Profiles\<username>\missions\ folder

2. Launch the Editor on Stratis or Altis

3. Open the mission

4. Click on "Preview"

5. Press "ESC" to access the console

6. Enter the script and press "Execute"

I might at some point add a proper in-game menu to the Advanced Ballistics mod.

Stuff like this could then be accessed via the custom menu.

and if i change the ammo parameters through this sandbox mission, will it change the AB parameters in general?
I will only last until you end the mission.

I might at some point add a proper in-game menu to the Advanced Ballistics mod.

Stuff like this could then be accessed via the custom menu.

really looking forward to this ;) it'd be so freaking delightful to be able to access this feature on 360° Training Course :D

It will only last until you end the mission.

thank God, i'm so glad it won't mess up the AB :D so if i screw around with it, everything will be back to normal...

Well done, Ruthberg! You never cease to amaze me :') You always exceed my expectations \m/

you've turned this mod into extremely realistic precision shooting simulator!

I have created a new version of the Trixie Recon pack:

trixie_recon.zip

You can now shoot the following .300 Win Mag ammunition types:

* Mk248 Mod 0 (190 gr SMK)

* Mk248 Mod 1 (220 gr SMK)

* 230 OTM (230 gr Berger Hybrid OTM)

M24 and M40 Sniper rifle compatible magazines:

* Trixie_5x762_M118LR_Mag

* Trixie_5x762_Mk248_Mod_0_Mag

* Trixie_5x762_Mk248_Mod_1_Mag

* Trixie_5x762_Berger_Hybrid_OTM_Mag

* Trixie_5x762_Mag

it'd be so freaking delightful to be able to access this feature on 360° Training Course :D
The Sandbox mission is based on the 360 Degree Training Course mission. ;) Edited by Ruthberg
Updated trixie_recon.zip

I dont suppose there is any ASDG compatibility with the above Trixie update is there? ;)

Fantastic work on this mod Ruthberg... Only really discovered recently and testing lots of things, i have so many little question, but i'll hold off for now so i can get a full idea of everything.

Again great job, a big thankyou.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

trixie_recon.zip

* Trixie_5x762_Mag

Daaamn!!! X'mas gifts just keep raining down on me! thank you so much Santa :D please keep them comin....

The Sandbox mission is based on the 360 Degree Training Course mission. ;)

so we still get to see all 360° Training Course features on this sandbox mission?

so we still get to see all 360° Training Course features on this sandbox mission?
Yes, of course.

It's going to be part of the next release. But I'm having trouble with adding custom magazine classes to vanilla weapons.

Edit: I'm no longer having trouble with that.

The ammo config is ready:

class AB_65x47_Ball_Scenar: B_762x51_Ball
{
airFriction=-0.00078;
typicalSpeed=820 ;
AB_caliber=0.264;
AB_bulletLength=1.364;
AB_bulletMass=139;
AB_ammoTempMuzzleVelocityShifts[]={-26.55, -25.47, -22.85, -20.12, -16.98, -12.80, -7.64, -1.53, 5.96, 15.17, 26.19};
AB_ballisticCoefficients[]={0.290};
AB_velocityBoundaries[]={};
AB_standardAtmosphere="ICAO";
AB_dragModel=7;
AB_muzzleVelocities[]={760, 790, 820 , 830};
AB_barrelLengths[]={16, 20, 24, 26};
};

Edited by Ruthberg

trixie_recon.zip

* Trixie_5x762_Mag

The Sandbox mission is based on the 360 Degree Training Course mission. ;)

Awesome, now we just need a long action Remington. One thing, the new ammo types under the M40 and M24 are still showing 7.62x51. Is this because they are created as a sub-type of sorts of the original mags?

Brilliant Ruthberg, filled in the only gap i had in the weapons with these rifles.

Is there any chance you could release this on the Six network? I'd love to be able to add them to our collection and get them running on game nights with CSE.

Once again cheers for all your work.

I would need to ask Trixie about that. But I'm currently working on some optional AdvancedBallistics configs that will add new magazine types to specific weapons.

For example:

advancedballistics_optional_vanilla_cfg.pbo

advancedballistics_optional_trixie_cfg.pbo

They're going to be optional, signed and will have certain addon requirements.

Edit: I'll also add an optional config pbo that removes the vanilla zeroing system and sets the default weapon zero to 100m.

Edited by Ruthberg

Cool no worries, i'm sure i read on Trixies thread before he "retired" from the modding as it were, that he gave permission for use of the current files.

EDIT:- Yeah he did, as long as credits given etc.

Trixie:-

Finished cleaning up my PC of misc mods/tools and uninstalled ArmA etc, so any support at this stage will be very very minimal. As mentioned before, i can be reached by PMs, but please do not ask for updates, fixes or anything of the sort as i'll be unable to provide them. If you need my permission to include anything in your modpack/mods etc you have it, provided you credit/seek permission from all other authors involved.

Not sure who the other authors are, but worth shooting him a PM, see if anything comes back.