Sign in to follow this  
six_ten

Black Powder Mod

looks cool, which setting is it? seems to be an american soldier from the revolution

The forum software keeps parsing my IMG tags, so no images until I sort that out. Also cannot edit the first post in this thread so I'll start here. I've put quite a lot of work into this mod and I think it is time to share a progress report. I hope it will be as much fun for others as it has been for me so far. It isn't ready to release yet, but I'll post a download link when it is.

Black Powder: Trade and Warfare on Land and Sea in the 1770's

The gameplay is pretty basic: you start on the beach with nothing. Find some clothing and tools, gather some food and water, and set out to seek your fortune. Harvest raw materials and make useful products for trade, steal from others and become an enemy to all as a pirate, or ally yourself with one of the warring nations and with their letter of marque and reprisal become a privateer.

Built so far:

Uniformed Continental (American) and British Line infantry, plus hats, knapsacks, haversacks, canteens and cartridge pouches

also male Civilians and Militia

Model 1768 Short Land Pattern Musket (Brown Bess)

French 4 pounder artillery firing round shot and grapeshot

field fortifications including cheveaux de frise, gabions, abatis

65' Bermuda Sloop with swivel guns

bell tent to store guns, wedge tents for common soldiers, wall tents for horsemen and subalterns, and officers' marquee

rail-fences, houses, outbuildings and public structures

Currently I'm optimizing all of the above. LOD models are done, all now are UV mapped and I'm making new textures and shaders for them.

I still have to get my particle effects sorted out for the guns, at the moment its trial and error. The cannons have a satisfying kick when they fire, but the muskets feel weak and I'm still trying to figure out how to get a delay between the flash in the pan and the actual firing.

Sounds good if I may suggest something, you could create a sea map with little islands, that you can visit once you have a boat / little ship ( a map the scale of altis with one huge island would be eternal to walk ).

Flemdot Jr -- looks cool, which setting is it? seems to be an american soldier from the revolution

It is. That is the uniform of the 2d Virginia Regiment, about 1777.

MistyRonin -- Sounds good if I may suggest something, you could create a sea map with little islands, that you can visit once you have a boat / little ship ( a map the scale of altis with one huge island would be eternal to walk ).

I've begun just such a map, lots of small islands, lots of sea between clusters of them, so you can start and hop from one to another with a canoe or raft, and travel farther in a larger vessel after you've played for a while and built up some wealth. I'd like to spot a sail on the horizon and not know whether it is friend or foe.

In addition to the sea map I have an authentic 18th century landscape based on a real location that was very important during the American Revolution, using a 1781 map of the area overlaid onto modern LIDAR and a lot of research (this is a project I've worked on for 7 or 8 years) I think I'll release the sea map first, and if there's interest in more land warfare, release the land map for company-sized skirmishes and other operations.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

I've begun a page in the Make ARMA Not War contest site: http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/Fzvd2RZSpc#.U7gUX8zD_yM

sounds really interesting... TW:Empire... but in First Person would be AMAZING !

Obviously that's the kind of mod i like, and the idea of survival mission is nice.

I really like the sound of this! Can't wait to see more.

Please, as a request from me, if it means anything, please do not turn this into a DayZ-esque thing with starting on the beach with nothing. These assets you are creating are really cool and can be used to make actual scenarios that are much better than playing DayZ with them.

I hate to say that, but if you are going to release a survival mod with these assets, I beg you to release a seperate pack with units and weapons for mission makers.

How would you want to use the assets and what kind of scenarios do you have in mind?

How would you want to use the assets and what kind of scenarios do you have in mind?

Do you remember playing that old Half Life 2 mod Battlegrounds 2 and having linebattles as well as Napoleonic Wars for Mount And Blade? They were fun as hell and I would like to try to make missions for my group or any other people who want to play old line battles and such, but there really isn't many assets for muskets and units except for that one NW mod that was dropped. If you are already making assets for a Revolutionary period, you could make unit packs and weapon packs to have some assets for groups who want to make missions seperate from your mod it would be greatly appreciated. I am not holding you to it, but if you could it would be great.

It would be a great change of pace for many groups to go from modern combat to 1-shot muskets in TvTs and even coops. If it is out of your way, I don't blame you, but I would like it.

• Like 1

Just a note to say I've been hard at work upgrading the mod. I hope to have something to release soon. The Bermuda Sloops are armed, I still have to replace sounds and squash bugs, but its already a lot of fun. Looking forward to pitting my ship against human opponents!

http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/Fzvd2RZSpc#.VI36xvd0zyM

Edited by Six_Ten

I'll ask again. Do you plan to implement horses?

Are you now able to post some SS or, even better, a vid?

Been playing Napoleonic Wars lately so I'm really interested in your mod.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Plan to implement horses? Yes. If someone builds and animates them I'll be thrilled to be able to create the uniforms, tack, etc. and add Dragoons, Cavalry, officers on horseback, dispatch riders, and allow players to easily hitch up to wagons and artillery limbers and move them around the battlefield. But as important as they are they're not going to be in for a year or longer unless someone else creates them.

As it is I've posted a number of questions asking for help on the other priorities which are as yet unanswered. After a decade of ARMA every modder still has to reinvent the wheel when it comes to melee of any kind, so getting a tomahawk, spontoon, bayonet, and sword is taking a huge effort. At the moment I'm trying to write a script for getting the wind to work on my sailing ships, and starting to try to figure out how to get an anchor to work on them.

If you create a horse addon I'll be happy to modify and add it.

I'll post some screens or video later tonight or tomorrow for you.

• Like 1

On 16.12.2014 at 11:53 PM, six_ten said:
SG_Smokintodd said:

Thanks.

Plan to implement horses? Yes. If someone builds and animates them I'll be thrilled to be able to create the uniforms, tack, etc. and add Dragoons, Cavalry, officers on horseback, dispatch riders, and allow players to easily hitch up to wagons and artillery limbers and move them around the battlefield. But as important as they are they're not going to be in for a year or longer unless someone else creates them.

As it is I've posted a number of questions asking for help on the other priorities which are as yet unanswered. After a decade of ARMA every modder still has to reinvent the wheel when it comes to melee of any kind, so getting a tomahawk, spontoon, bayonet, and sword is taking a huge effort. At the moment I'm trying to write a script for getting the wind to work on my sailing ships, and starting to try to figure out how to get an anchor to work on them.

If you create a horse addon I'll be happy to modify and add it.

I'll post some screens or video later tonight or tomorrow for you.

Horse mod is very badass thing. There's only one out there, and it's not working properly (horse is just falling all the time lol). Seeing proffesional mod is cooler! Hope to see it in your BP mod, when it's realeases!