Sign in to follow this  
AveryTheKitty

Karts EBO files

If modders are willing to spend a great amount of effort on their work (even increasing BIS' playerbase), they should have the freedom to decide what they want to do with it, including encryption. Maybe some people don't want their hard work available for some untalented "life modder" to just throw into their mission and claim it as their "new feature".

This would also allow people to gather proper permission from the original author of a mod, requesting the unencrypted files. There are plenty of resources for people to learn from such as the wiki, the forums, unencrypted files from the game and community, and the devs themselves.

I can see many community members encrypting their work-in-progress mods to prevent theft and then releasing the finished product unencrypted after it is well recognized to by the community that it is their work. As I said before, as modders we put our own time and effort into creating something that everyone is freely able to use. We should have the right to do what we want with our work. If someone wants to release their work unencrypted for people to learn from, good for them; if they want to encrypt their work because they've worked too hard on it and don't want it in the hands of competition or thieves, then they should have every right to do so.

I myself would be more comfortable knowing that I can work on a large project without having to worry about people stealing my stuff. You can say I'm whining, but I've had plenty of experiences in ArmA2 of my content being stolen by others without credit and those thieves are very immature to say the least. It's not the people in this community, but the people outside of it that cause the damage.

Edited by zooloo75

I am not against modders being able to protect their content, but most of the time, this stolen content gets uploaded to some sh*tty russian arma 1 style download site, where its some 2 year old outdated version and such, and because bi forums/armaholic forums stop people from stealing stuff and posting it here, most "stolen" content doesn't seem to become much of a problem, not as far as I have seen from years of arma.

I've seen code plagiarized from their original authors (my code too >.>) in mods on the forums too. People tend to think less of SQF code since it's just plaintext.

Edited by zooloo75

The faster we get .EBO's (64bit encryption) the better, we need a way to protect our content from competing servers. I would like the models that I have created specifically for the one server. Want to use that model? then join the server. Simple.

I created the content, so why can't I have a say on who is able to utilize it? I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours 3D modelling, and if I see my buildings, objects, ships, animals, humans being used by other servers, I won't be a happy chap.

Bohemia Interactive Studios, it's time to give content creators the choice to encrypt their content from prying eyes. Binarizing just acts like a speed hump, it doesn't stop copyright.

The faster we get .EBO's (64bit encryption) the better, we need a way to protect our content from competing servers. I would like the models that I have created specifically for the one server. Want to use that model? then join the server. Simple.

I created the content, so why can't I have a say on who is able to utilize it? I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours 3D modelling, and if I see my buildings, objects, ships, animals, humans being used by other servers, I won't be a happy chap.

Bohemia Interactive Studios, it's time to give content creators the choice to encrypt their content from prying eyes. Binarizing just acts like a speed hump, it doesn't stop copyright.

Binarizing was never meant to stop it

There's an old saying about providing content to others. If you don't want it stolen, don't put it on the internet. Keep it to yourself.

Even if the new encryption does come, which I don't think it should, somebody's going to crack that too.

The (russian?) guy who hacked DayZ months ago and was showing pictures of the source code files, also showed a little tool for creating EBO files. Once you get that tool, you can see how it works, and reverse engineer a tool to decrpyt it, so by the time bohemia were to actually give you EBO capability, if they ever did (I don't think they should) then it would almost certainly be worthless.