Sign in to follow this  
Mr_X

The quality of the resistance

Hey, "GAMEER" - much as I'd love to bitch slap your 12 year old ass on this forum, I don't want to fall foul of the moderator so YOU shut the f**k up behind your anonymity! I am trying to have a civilised discussion here, moron.

OK, I realise that not everyone has a computer as fast as mine, and maybe I was taking the civilian example a bit too far, but I think it would be good for OFP to take advantage of faster computers where available, especially in regards to AI scalability options etc. I know we have "super AI" but that's not the same.

And I think resistance AI is worse than original Flashpoint 1.45. I can't explain how, but the original flashpoint was WAY more challenging IMHO.

Finally, don't ridicule my job. You guys are still at school and don't have one yet!

I think you have to work on your "civilised" discussion techniques. Perhaps looking objectively at what your typing before hitting "add reply". The 3 things you said are - quite frankily - asking for too much.

What would be the sense of having civilian people on the other side of Nogova? Its a waste of CPU proccesing. It would be possible (like GTA3) but pointless.

And i was not ridiculing your job. I was simply putting it into quotations to create a stronger impact.

Although the AI could use some touch-ups, i find it able to deliver a strong SP experience.

And what makes you think im a 12 year old?

If you have any problems bugwise with resistance then theres a seperate thread for that. BIS don't have time to listen to the crap you two are spouting out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> much as I'd love to bitch slap your 12 year old ass on this forum, I don't want to fall foul of the moderator so YOU shut the f**k up behind your anonymity! I am trying to have a civilised discussion here, moron.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Finally, don't ridicule my job. You guys are still at school and don't have one yet!<span id='postcolor'>

Even if you are older than a few of us, you might still need to get a few decades of "growing up" maturity wise.

Guys, cmon. Just chill out.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2: I work as a software engineer (true!wink.gif. If I say my app delivers X,Y and Z, and you pay for my app, but I don't deliver X,Y and Z, you'd be angry, right? I paid 20 pounds, and Resistance didn't deliver totally. I am satisfied with some aspects, but dissatisfied with others - like the AI just sucks and the fact there's NO CIVVIES. End of story.<span id='postcolor'>

Ho ho. You can tweak Ai and make it more realistic, you genious.

OFP AI is one of the best AI's ever seen in a game. They can hear you, low skilled soldiers run away when they hear shoots...

Afcourse, OFP AI is not perfect, but it's very good. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, "GAMEER" - much as I'd love to bitch slap your 12 year old ass on this forum, I don't want to fall foul of the moderator so YOU shut the f**k up behind your anonymity! I am trying to have a civilised discussion here, moron.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, you're the one who's 12 years old here. tounge.gif

kojak_2002 and GAMEER_77, behave or I will have to interfere. You don't want me to do that, I promise  smile.gif

and SpaceAlex, don't provoke them.

Space Alex is absolutely correct! Anyway, where have you ever seen impressive AI before? Dont forget that other games are highly scripted and what looks like AI isnt but simply an adaption to playing patterns (get it?). An enemy who throws a grenade and retreats and jumps behind a wall is not AI, that is pure script. I am very much satisfied with the AI of OFP especially with some of the ideas such as

if you shoot the officer the enemy is kind of confused for a while and has to rearange formation.

The way in which the enemy circles around you is well done

The driving skills of cars and trucks is not perfect but well thought through

If you say that the whole AI is crap then you maybe should think about how tough it is to teach a computer strategy with simple numbers (cause that is all you got).

And sometimes it makes no sense to increase AI because I get shot often enough before actually having seen the enemy.

Totaly agree with albert there smile.gif

Been meaning to ask, but does PP have a new suit ?

Looks like it  tounge.gif! In case it is not PP in a different dress then I guess he is facing a strong competitor now. That would mean fag-war between PP and Spiderman!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 21 2002,01:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looks like it  tounge.gif! In case it is not PP in a different dress then I guess he is facing a strong competitor now. That would mean fag-war between PP and Spiderman!<span id='postcolor'>

lol those movements are sooooooooo PP biggrin.gif

Anyway,

To stick to topic, i think the Quality is dripping off OFP R !

I have never had a game that could demand all my attention for more then 2 weeks ! It s been like ? .. over a year now i think, from the demo on as with alot of people here.

That means more then words i think.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 21 2002,01:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">kojak_2002 and GAMEER_77, behave or I will have to interfere. You don't want me to do that, I promise  smile.gif

and SpaceAlex, don't provoke them.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, big boss. tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey guys we are getting a bit off topic here.....

For the 50th time I'm not nit-picking or saying Resistance is totally crap.....

All I AM saying is that it is dissapointing to see the effort put into the mission and campaign side of it.... (mainly focusing upon the fact that they use a crappy arty script when they shouldnt be using them at all. I mean if they wanted to use artillery, they should have designed some).

I'm just saying that BIS took a step backwards with this......'Cold War Crisis' was far better and professional and brought out the potential of OFP

one reason for some ppl to feel that OFPR, in professionalism, was not as good as OFP could be that this time, BIS had less time to work on it.

let's face it. BIS had little time to work on OFPR. I heard that there is definition for a civilian chooper, but is not included. probably CM stood too strict by their deadline as they planned and BIS had too abandon some aspects.

let's not forget that 4 yrs weer gone into OFP, and about 9 months for OFPR(my guess). although OFPR is based on OFP, getting bugs fixed and adding better engine features and so on takes a lot of effort, and doing it in 9 months would have left some stuffs unfinished.

I have to agree that the plot and overall feel of the campaign was pretty weak. The action was great as always, but I couldnt get into the campaign..it didnt seem to flow very well.

I'm not sure what it was, but each mission didnt seem to build on the previous one and so on.

I dont know, but I'll buy Independence Lost for sure and I'll download the patch to OFPR when that comes available.

That could be purely subjective. I think the missions of OFPR rock in comparison to the old missions of OFP. I never liked the amount of SPEC OPS missions. Furthermore the ones of you criticising this Addon are speaking against 90% of all computer-mags that consider it to be very well worth buying. The problem once again is that I felt I didnt realy "solve" the missions but "abused" the way in which a mission was meant to be solved (makes sense?).

Ok, ill be the first to apoligise. I just think that your taking shots at OFPR that are unfair. The AI is way above average. If BIS were to iron out the niggles it would be brilliant to say the least.

Does it matter that the artillery script is using M2's? C'mon take a look at the mission, not the script. I remember someone saying on this very forum that he played that mission about 20 times. I also remember that he didnt say or notice that it was made with an M2.

Resistance is an expansion pack made simply for OFP fans. BIS have listened to what the people want and gave it to them. A view distance slider, higher resolution textures, hand guns, motorbikes... the list goes on.

If you were a true OFP fan you wouldnt moan about these tiny problems, would you?

wow.gif PEACE

I think that the Resistance stryline is much more intense than the original campaign storyline. Cutscenes are better, voice acting is a lot better... The campaign is probably a little short because they didn't have time.

Anyways. What's wrong with you guys. Do you think it's so easy to make a mission and so many cutscenes. Yes, it's easy to put everything on the island, but then you have to test everything. And not just once. Go and make a mission with intro. Then you'll see. I already made many missions for OFP, and testing takes much more time than making. You have go through the mission and then there's something you don't like or there's a trigger which doesn't work. You have to go back to the mission editor and fix that. wow.gif

Hmm.. the power of the Internet - bringing schoolkids together.

1. When I come on this board I don't expect to be insulted for voicing an opinion, especially by kids! Or some 16 year old power-hungry moderator either.

2. AI above average eh? OK, read the "constructive criticism" thread and then say that with conviction. AI is AVERAGE and if you wanna see real AI, Microsoft Close Combat shows what can be done, on older processors.

3. Why you kids "paying me out" ? LOL!!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 21 2002,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm.. the power of the Internet - bringing schoolkids together.

1. When I come on this board I don't expect to be insulted for voicing an opinion, especially by kids! Or some 16 year old power-hungry moderator either.

2. AI above average eh? OK, read the "constructive criticism" thread and then say that with conviction. AI is AVERAGE and if you wanna see real AI, Microsoft Close Combat shows what can be done, on older processors.

3. Why you kids "paying me out" ? LOL!!! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, unfortunately for your ego, many of us including me and denoir are not kids. And I have finished College, and worked in the Comp. Science field like you, among other fields! I am getting ready to study Comp. Eng. next, since I have Comp. Science completed.

Unfortunately for you again, the OFP forums are not just roamed by teenagers, but also by grown up people. To keep you quiet, Denoir for instance has been on a peace keeping mission in Eastern Europe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 21 2002,23:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm.. the power of the Internet - bringing schoolkids together.

When I come on this board I don't expect to be insulted for voicing an opinion, especially by kids! Or some 16 year old power-hungry moderator either.<span id='postcolor'>

It is ok, I can spare you the trouble of coming here again, if you wish smile.gif

Yes close combat did have excellent AI. Displacing flanking pulling back from heavy entrenched MGs and going around, making their tanks avoid know bazookas. Im just wondering if it could be done with flashpoint and I think it could. I mean people will say its a hell of a lot harder in a 3d enviroment to do stuff like that but..... Its all waypointed, so if the AI sees an MG it goes around so see MG true detour 200 yards right of know position. As AI doesent really care about 3d or not, take the camera directly above OFP and go into commander mode and u got a top down action game. I know its not ACCTUALLY, but then its easier to think about waypoints of AI and stuff there, like close combat it just needs to adjust and doesent acctually need to think about being 3d as in the editor the units will adapt to waypoints no matter where u put em, so the game can just change basic waypoints in game. Its kind of hard to explain but I hope some of you can see what Im saying

Once again kojak what makes you think im 12? Ive actually just left school and starting work at university, thank very much!

If your opinion includes things which are Utter crap then something has to be said, im sorry. This topic is getting very long and tedious so this may be my last post here. Thank you!

:pPEACE

I'm going to let the abuse wash over me... not going to rise to some 16 year old's rantings.

If you think my opinions are crap, fine, but don't tell me to fuck off elsewhere just because YOU disagree!

Anyway:

I think a Close Combat type AI could be transported to operation flashpoint if BIS were inclined. The engine's 4 years old now, and it worked well on Pentium 2s, so it can't be that processor-intensive.

And for those of you who think the OFP AI is above average, away f**k off and play Close Combat (after your lessons - don't fall back on your remedial homework now.) to see how it should be done.

I await a good "PAYING OUT" !! LOL!

AGAIN, what makes you think im 16? Ok, i dont want this long-winded argument going on forever, so lets end it. We have a difference of opinion.

Just dont take a pop at OFP just because its not got as good AI as Close combat. I bet combat mission doesnt let you fly an A-10 around a massive 100x100 KM island filled with churches and mountains, does it?

Lets just end this, please.

*EDIT* Sorry, I wrote combat mission instead of close combat.

wow.gif PEACE

Close combat is far better than combat mission as in CM the troops take ages to die!!! In CC run troops at an MG42 and they will ALL die very quickly. In CM they just take bullets standing up and the only ones who die are just random people around the map who take bullets very unluckily. Take this for example a german MG42 was walking away with his rifle over his back there were 4 Shermans less than 20 m away pouring shells and MG into him yet he safely made it the 100 m to the house he was aiming for, I dont know about CM 2 but I hope its better there