Sign in to follow this  
Mr_X

The quality of the resistance

Overall, Resistance is a very nice addon pack. The new island Nogova is excellent and original. The new civilian vehicle and military weapon addons also add a great new depth to the game.

However in the mission and campaign department, 'Resistance' seems to be severly lacking when compared to the original 'Cold War Crisis' and its additional original single player missions (I'm not going to even compare it to the monstrosity that is 'Red Hammer' ).

I know it has a partisan type theme, though all the missions are relatively shallow (although the cutscenes are nice, as you would expect) and don't show any serious effort or surprise. Basically they are surpassed by many user-made missions, which is not really satisfactory when you consider that we have had to pay for these.

The main and most dissapointing factor is that 'Resistance' uses amateur-type scripting that has even been outdated by user-editing standards. I couldn't believe it when one of the campaign (and single-mission) missions featured the crappy 'exploding vehicles' atillery script. This has been outdated by over six months in the user-editing community and replaced with far superior cam-create scripts. Why on earth BIS think this is acceptable for a product you pay for is beyond me. I could go on but I won't.

It is clear that the only edge that BIS held over the user editor was its ability to construct new islands and vehicle/weapon models and now with that ability in the hands of some very talented individuals, it is clear that 'Resistance' will be the last OFP product BIS manage to sell. I'm am sure that by releasing things like Oxygen and WRPEdit that they never intended to develop anymore anyway, though I'm still think they should have put more effort into the mission/campaign side of 'Resistance'.

Yeah, the campaign was indeed rushed. They made things happen in such a way as if they were expecting poeple not to notice the shortcuts they took and the corners they cut.

The end of the campaign is a prime example. Victor is fleeing the airport area, and runs right for a hill........one hill.......in the middle of an open desert.......and he runs right for it like theres no other way. And then, of course, a large Russian force comes and kills him. Where did this force come from. It seems they were a little late when i was utterly foiling their last big effort, now doesnt it.

Also, towards the end, we see the resistance hold up in the ruins out in the desert. You pass this same area en-route to the air port when youre trying to take out the bombers, and the place is empty. In the cut scene, we see T55s behind sand bag walls and people taking cover beind the walls. It made it look like the place was well ocupied, but in the mission itself, the place is empty.

And then theres the "bombers" the Russians were planning to incinarate the island with. They look quite a bit like SU-25s to me. And last time i checked, an SU-25 does not posess the ability to take out entire islands. It is just an anti-tank unit, the same as the A10 is for NATO forces. They made a ton of new addons for the resistance and civillians. Its not like it would have overwhelmed them to make one unit that, even if it was an inanimate object, could have posed as a bomber and made things just that much more realistic.

I think y'all are being a little to hard on BIS here. If you don't think about the things that could've been improved then You will find it hard not to love it! My personal opinion is well done BIS. I loved the island, the vehicles and weapons and most of all the campaign. (although some missions where hard as hell)

Mr X your making some pretty empty comments here. Picking at BIS for using the vehicle artillery method is sad and low. If you ever de-pbo-ed one of the missions and opened it up in the editor you would see just how much work has gone into it.

Oh and i wish people would stop moaning about the ending. I thought it was brilliant. Although i have to admit it was the sadest ending of a game ive ever payed. And it says in the init script "Made by Sith and D'n'A". I dont know if these are BIS people or someone in the community but good job either way.

And i would welcome a new expansion pack with open arms. My computer cant run a new OFP. sad.gif

tounge.gif PEACE

One of Resistance's selling points was the supposed "living" new island...

Well I'm sorry BIS but having one bus flit back and forward on the first level does not qualify the island as "living"! Admit it folks, that was the first and only new concept you saw in the game wasn't it? You think, "ah, a transport system. I can take a bus to go places now". Alas, only for the 1st level...

OK, you say "so what about the bus?" . OK, where are all of the civilians after you leave the city and join the resistance? Hmm, let me see... apart from when Victor's love interest (she's got pancake breasts! smile.gif ) is captive and blown to bits on a failed ambush later on, you see NO CIVILIANS (The militia doesn't count!wink.gif

And no, there's no curfew to keep civvies indoors...

Now, if you had civvies walking around the city - albeit under guard - with you operating in plain clothes, so you could operate behind enemy lines and gather information, then THAT would have been good.

Finally, the new buildings really need to have openable doors for ALL rooms, then we can snipe from them properly.

Christ that was a rant and a half! I still like Resistance though, because of the view distance settings, new graphics and cities. And I cannot wait for the first mission that has you rescuing a bunch of horny women from the commies... SWEET! (I need to get out more.)

PS: must agree with you about Red Hammer... it was really naff and obviously aimed at appeasing the Yank market! I didn't WANT to defect to the American side - why was I forced to in the game? Why couldn't I have been an evil commie?

For BIS to accurately create a living world on each and every mission would take a lot of proccesing power. (hell, look at bn880's TWMN mission. And thats not got People wandering about in the street's does it?) Most of the mission weren't attacks on towns anyway and if they were then there would be hostages or no-one. (why would the russians have civs in a town anyways, theyd ship them off somewhere else) If anyone of you have ever made a mission then you' all know how much effort BIS have put into this STUPENDIS addon. Bravo!

(I agree about red hammer though...it sucks, though that was made by codemsters...haha)

tounge.gif PEACE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GAMEER_77 @ Aug. 19 2002,14:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For BIS to accurately create a living world on each and every mission would take a lot of proccesing power. (hell, look at bn880's TWMN mission. And thats not got People wandering about in the street's does it?)<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly, it's not like they could not figure out a way to simulate a living Nogova, or create a bunch of animals everywhere etc. etc., no body could possibly handle the load on the CPU, complaints about OFP/OFPR being slower than any other game would quadruple.

Resistance is a brilliant add-on which surpassed everyone's expectations when it was released. Now your all starting to nit-pick at everything wanting more and more. Surely you looked to deep into what BIS said about the Bus' and the "living island". Come on people, lets not ruin the best wargame ever made. (no comments on the previous sentence please wink.gif )

wow.gif PEACE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 19 2002,02:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is clear that the only edge that BIS held over the user editor was its ability to construct new islands and vehicle/weapon models and now with that ability in the hands of some very talented individuals, it is clear that 'Resistance' will be the last OFP product BIS manage to sell.<span id='postcolor'>

You suck. You are a large part of the reason that Suma and company avoid the English forums. There is no way that can be considered constructive criticism.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kermit @ Aug. 19 2002,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 19 2002,02:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is clear that the only edge that BIS held over the user editor was its ability to construct new islands and vehicle/weapon models and now with that ability in the hands of some very talented individuals, it is clear that 'Resistance' will be the last OFP product BIS manage to sell.<span id='postcolor'>

You suck. You are a large part of the reason that Suma and company avoid the English forums. There is no way that can be considered constructive criticism.<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif

Take it easy, Suma doesn't avoid the English forums, English is not his first language and he only has so much time I think. I'v never seen a project leader look at forums so much to get suggestions and asist users. Hard for me to imagine how they will lose the market for the next product... although anything is possible.

well, AFAIK, Sith and DnA are NOT working for BIS.

back on topic.

OFP does need to go a long way to become a real simulator. however, it is pretty far ahead of what we were getting so far.

and about that artillery script using cars. i tried both, and they both feel different. I prfer Heat125, but it doesn't produce good sounds that is produced when a car gets blown. come on! don't you think deleopers would know better when it comes to scripts?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It is clear that the only edge that BIS held over the user editor was its ability to construct new islands and vehicle/weapon models and now with that ability in the hands of some very talented individuals, it is clear that 'Resistance' will be the last OFP product BIS manage to sell. I'm am sure that by releasing things like Oxygen and WRPEdit that they never intended to develop anymore anyway, though I'm still think they should have put more effort into the mission/campaign side of 'Resistance'.

<span id='postcolor'>

well, just make sure you don't come back and talk about how awful next release is biggrin.gif

if you look at the codes that comes with some missions they put a lot of effort into it. and your comment about user editor says it all. No other company that i can think of right now released same mission editor that developers use with in first few months of game's release. so basically, ppl are getting this great editor, just like the ones developers use, and claim that developers are no better. what a joke biggrin.gif

Hey look....I'm not paying out BIS completely. As I said I'm quite satisfied overall with the addon.

You just have to admit that using amateur out dated scripts in an official, commercial product is stretching it.....

and no 'sides the cutscenes fuck all coding goes into the missions included with Resistance...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 20 2002,06:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey look....I'm not paying out BIS completely. As I said I'm quite satisfied overall with the addon.

You just have to admit that using amateur out dated scripts in an official, commercial product is stretching it.....

and no 'sides the cutscenes fuck all coding goes into the missions included with Resistance...<span id='postcolor'>

Is this really bothering you or do you just want people to know you de-pbo'ed a mission tounge.gif

If bis had used a usermade script you wouldve commented they didn t make something theirselfs...

Anyway i m very satisfied with resistance and it s not like it costed 50$

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ Aug. 20 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 20 2002,06wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey look....I'm not paying out BIS completely. As I said I'm quite satisfied overall with the addon.

and no 'sides the cutscenes fuck all coding goes into the missions included with Resistance...<span id='postcolor'>

Is this really bothering you or do you just want people to know you de-pbo'ed a mission  <!--emo&tounge.gif

If bis had used a usermade script you wouldve commented they didn t make something theirselfs...

Anyway i m very satisfied with resistance and it s not like it costed 50$<span id='postcolor'>

You don't even know what you are talking about (even with correct spelling)....

I speak the truth.......

Hey....The full game of Operation Flashpoint cost $90...so I would think we could expect a little more than some amateur aspects in a $50 addon (no stupid face)

Resistance is a killer (now that I got it runing). They couldnt have released a better version!

But why cant they release a few OFP-movies! I have seen so many Mods with great Intros. BIS should have been capable to deliver little cookies like that with this Addon!

50$ addon? I payed something like 24$ or so! BTW: could I still get RedHammer in the shops without having to buy a silly 2in1 pack?

There really isnt much point in buying 'Red Hammer' if you already have 'Resistance'. All you get is the pathetic campaign that comes with it, all the rest is included with 'Resistance'.

I am talking $50 Australian by the way which is in the region of $25-30 US.....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 20 2002,15:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ Aug. 20 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 20 2002,06wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey look....I'm not paying out BIS completely. As I said I'm quite satisfied overall with the addon.

Is this really bothering you or do you just want people to know you de-pbo'ed a mission  <!--emo&tounge.gif

Anyway i m very satisfied with resistance and it s not like it costed 50$<span id='postcolor'>

You don't even know what you are talking about (even with correct spelling)....

I speak the truth.......

Hey....The full game of Operation Flashpoint cost $90...so I would think we could expect a little more than some amateur aspects in a $50 addon (no stupid face)<span id='postcolor'>

Did i spell something wrong mr perfect ?

Sorry about that, i would like you to write 1/1000th in dutch of the posts i did in english, we ll compare faults then !

OPF resistance 90$ hehehe

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ( loads of stupid faces )

Yeah well I don't speak Dutch (I'm German)........

Why don't you learn a language correctly before you go spouting all over public forums?

I'm just making a valid point..........no need to go 'flaming' it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr_X @ Aug. 20 2002,15:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am talking $50 Australian by the way which is in the region of $25-30 US.....<span id='postcolor'>

Hey if I dont write in Euro you dont write in Australian dollars okay! tounge.gif

I was surprised, this would have been the first product on earth that is cheaper in europe than in the US. But it is neither cheaper nor is it compared to US. biggrin.gif

I wasn t flaming.

You should just reply me without bitching about spelling. Replying me only with a comment about spelling isn t really having a good point in my eyes.

And to be honest i still don t see the error i made sad.gif

Anyway, just my 2 cents and that s my last reply on it.

Just to reply.

1: Hmm... All civilians in a city carted off by the commies? OK, where to? As far as I see, there's no POW camps, no concentration camps. OK, they could've been taken elsewhere to another country but why is this not revealed in the game? Do the resistance guys have no wives or children.... ?

OK, you say it's too CPU intensive to include civilians AND soldiers AT THE MOMENT, but then again resistance is a game for the future is it not: I mean, who can run the game on high ground detail at the moment? I got 1GB of RAM, AMD 2200+ and radeon 8500, and it still chugs!!

2: I work as a software engineer (true!wink.gif. If I say my app delivers X,Y and Z, and you pay for my app, but I don't deliver X,Y and Z, you'd be angry, right? I paid 20 pounds, and Resistance didn't deliver totally. I am satisfied with some aspects, but dissatisfied with others - like the AI just sucks and the fact there's NO CIVVIES. End of story.

Oh yeah, and the devil sounds gay.

3: On that subject, I paid 20 quid for *19* missions... the blow the bridge mission doesn't count, IMO - cos the enemy can't cross the bridge properly!!! biggrin.gif

I like to finish on a positive note though: Resistance IS the best OFP addon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1: Hmm... All civilians in a city carted off by the commies? OK, where to? As far as I see, there's no POW camps, no concentration camps. OK, they could've been taken elsewhere to another country but why is this not revealed in the game? Do the resistance guys have no wives or children.... ?

OK, you say it's too CPU intensive to include civilians AND soldiers AT THE MOMENT, but then again resistance is a game for the future is it not: I mean, who can run the game on high ground detail at the moment? I got 1GB of RAM, AMD 2200+ and radeon 8500, and it still chugs!! <span id='postcolor'>

Yea but you can turn that down easily, turning down the amount of "liveness" in a mission would be much harder to do. Although it is doable.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2: I work as a software engineer (true!wink.gif. If I say my app delivers X,Y and Z, and you pay for my app, but I don't deliver X,Y and Z, you'd be angry, right? I paid 20 pounds, and Resistance didn't deliver totally. I am satisfied with some aspects, but dissatisfied with others - like the AI just sucks and the fact there's NO CIVVIES. End of story.<span id='postcolor'>

Not end of story, you do not have a contract with BIS to deliver a product to your specifications, unless you are working for US Marine Corps. and paying large sums. It's a different relationship than the one between a developer/enginner and a client.

There was no explicit guarantee of anything, just advertisements, and taken literally I doubt any of them can be disputed.

So ok, I would also like more, I enjoy animals alot, or talking to CIV's stuff like that. But I can't say I'v been cheated.

I think it's a great add on. Hard missions, and you've got to consistently use better strategy than any previous campaigns. A much better island too for mission builders to play with. If you've pulled apart the campaign file and found fault with some of the included scripts then that's nitpicking taken to the nth degree IMO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just to reply.

1: Hmm... All civilians in a city carted off by the commies? OK, where to? As far as I see, there's no POW camps, no concentration camps. OK, they could've been taken elsewhere to another country but why is this not revealed in the game? Do the resistance guys have no wives or children.... ?

OK, you say it's too CPU intensive to include civilians AND soldiers AT THE MOMENT, but then again resistance is a game for the future is it not: I mean, who can run the game on high ground detail at the moment? I got 1GB of RAM, AMD 2200+ and radeon 8500, and it still chugs!!

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but we want to be able to play it now. I don't think the engine supports scaleable numbers of game objects. So it'd be unplayable for everyone at any setting (presumably). In the future people will have the ability to use as many civvies as they wish (up to whatever the object limit is).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

2: I work as a software engineer (true!wink.gif. If I say my app delivers X,Y and Z, and you pay for my app, but I don't deliver X,Y and Z, you'd be angry, right? I paid 20 pounds, and Resistance didn't deliver totally. I am satisfied with some aspects, but dissatisfied with others - like the AI just sucks and the fact there's NO CIVVIES. End of story.

Oh yeah, and the devil sounds gay.

3: On that subject, I paid 20 quid for *19* missions... the blow the bridge mission doesn't count, IMO - cos the enemy can't cross the bridge properly!!! biggrin.gif

I like to finish on a positive note though: Resistance IS the best OFP addon.<span id='postcolor'>

When's the AI crap (more crap than usual Flashpoint that is smile.gif )?  Have you tried playing with and against all "expert" soldiers in the editor?

OK, Lets look at this from a sensible point of view.

Mr X. You are Nit-picking pure and simple. If you are not satisfied with the campaign take it back and never speak of it again.

Kojak_2002 your comments are absurd! The storyline in Resistance, while not perfect, is very good. If you want all the nitty gritty details explained then f**k off and buy a tom clancy novel!

We all dont have Computers as fast as your and personally id love for another expansion pack to come out before OFP 2 (if there is one) cause i will not be able to play OFP 2 neither will half the people on this forum.

If you want to be totally satiffied with OFP, why dont you quit your job as a "Software engineer" and join BIS. Im sure theyll be happy to welcome such a perfectionist as yourself.

You are both a bunch of moaning a$$'s!

END OF STORY! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GAMEER_77 @ Aug. 20 2002,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, Lets look at this from a sensible point of view.

Mr X. You are Nit-picking pure and simple. If you are not satisfied with the campaign take it back and never speak of it again.

Kojak_2002 your comments are absurd! The storyline in Resistance, while not perfect, is very good. If you want all the nitty gritty details explained then f**k off and buy a tom clancy novel!

We all dont have Computers as fast as your and personally id love for another expansion pack to come out before OFP 2 (if there is one) cause i will not be able to play OFP 2 neither will half the people on this forum.

If you want to be totally satiffied with OFP, why dont you quit your job as a "Software engineer" and join BIS. Im sure theyll be happy to welcome such a perfectionist as yourself.

You are both a bunch of moaning a$$'s!

END OF STORY!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I second that! biggrin.gif