Sign in to follow this  
mr Amway

Itellectual property and entering competions...

Dear people,

If I spent thousands of hours making something and entering it in a completion and then didn't win anything and when I went to leave, the nice man said I had to leave my IP behind.... I think I would be a bit put out.

So if this competition is just that, and is a show case for the ARMIII engine etc, then signing away your IP

to enter should not be requisite.

come on Bohemia, anyone with half a brain is NOT going to enter the comp, unless they already earn a very healthy income OR are going to withhold anything ground breaking.

My advise is to change the rules. Let those who do not place walk away with their had work and let the winners swap their IP for the prize money.

Offering jobs etc is also a bit of a laugh, as those who all ready dev for Bohemia maybe wondering if they are going to get their contracts renewed.

To be fair I think completions are cool. But the fine print can put one off.

Come on people. If you want real development and an open community then let people keep their IP.

I have ideas, nothing very flash, but I am not entering them into the comp. For one reason.

Hope you guys rethink your game plan!

Mr Amway.

Edited by mr Amway
my spelling and grammer was off...

You must keep in mind that the potential rewards for those who win are substantial. It is quite normal for a contest such as this to require some amount of risk on the part of the participant.

Haha

all that Inteligencia and Historical background and you havent had the sense to read that IP is not handed over at all ?

I suggest someone makes a MOD called Psimissm and Bullshit speculation ,because so far thats been the only thing declared by anyone since the Competition was anounced.

You spent all that effort on BS but didnt feel like reading the QnA ?

I would like to make clear that we have to respect everyone's intellectual property, and everyone remains the author of their submissions to the contest and as such is free to do whatever they want with their addons, even during the contest.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?169584-make-ARMA-not-war-contest&p=2571887&viewfull=1#post2571887

Edited by Sealife

Sealife, I imagine that mr Amway was referring to this line in the rules:

By completing and confirming the registration the Participant:

• irrevocably and unconditionally grants to Organizer, on a royalty-free and non-exclusive basis, a perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, assignable, sublicensable, worldwide license to run, use, copy, reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, exhibit, demonstrate, edit, modify, adapt, and create derivative works from, each of his/her entries in this Contest, whether for purposes related to this Contest or otherwise, and whether via the Internet, electronic, digital, broadcast, theatrical, print, or any other communications media now known or hereafter developed, and in each case free of any and all restrictions and limitations whatsoever (except as imposed by law).

Yes, it is a non-exclusive license (meaning the content still belongs to the creator, who can license it to others if they wish), but apparently that is still an issue for some.

It all seems perfectly fair to me, but I'm not in the contest.

Sealife, I imagine that mr Amway was referring to this line in the rules:

Yes, it is a non-exclusive license (meaning the content still belongs to the creator, who can license it to others if they wish), but apparently that is still an issue for some.

It all seems perfectly fair to me, but I'm not in the contest.

The quote and link is reffering directly to the paragraph you have quoted :)

The quote and link is reffering directly to the paragraph you have quoted :)

I forgot to say: "Perhaps mr Amway doesn't know what 'non-exclusive' means."

Main reason for those legal lines is that they can use it for adverts and promotional campaigns without prior consent

Do you really think Bohemia will just say "thanks" and take your mod and just start using it, without compensating you or anything?

That will never happen.

Good point Mr Amway (and rest of the guys in this thread), your advises were taken seriously! Hopefully the little update of the rules (removing certain fishy words from the Contest Rules and limitation of the non-exclusive license to our actions in relation to the Make Arma Not War contest) will stop discouraging people from participating. :)

I will probably repeat myself a bit (see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171645-Mission-license&p=2614578&viewfull=1#post2614578), but nobody should be concerned that BI would take their work and sell or reverse-engineer it without the author's permission. In case we would want to publish an addon, it would have to be based on the agreement with its author.

Sorry for late reply, January was a bit busy for me. :)

Sign in to follow this