Sign in to follow this  
bruhmis

game is broken again after latest update (I need a dev to look at this)

every time bohemia launches a major update my game becomes completely unplayable and this time it's even worse than it ever has been. after the update I have worse performance than I've ever seen in any video game, and that's not an exaggeration.

nothing has been changed, my parameters are the same, I tried to restore my old config files and I validated/reinstalled.

I went from having 60+ FPS nearly maxed (MSAA and PIP off), to having 17-20 FPS on the same and lower settings. the lowest settings possible yield between 40-50 FPS. and I don't mean the 'low' preset, I mean individually setting every setting to as low as it can go including sampling.

I've tried disabling all my mods, generating fresh profile/config files and all testing has been done on official bohemia campaign missions.

I'm out of options now

Specs(not relevant but I know somebody is going to ask)

GPU - GTX 670 2 GB

CPU - FX-8150 @3.6 GHz (stock)

RAM - 8 GB DDR3

MOBO - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

OS - Win 7 x64

DxDiag: https://mega.co.nz/#!vYcwhACb!ZTFuOgCxXu8GDV04b4y-DxhKS_p1EllNDeaPsBDZq7Q

Edited by Bruhmis

Just to clarify, EVERY time a new patch comes out and gets released over Steam your game gets worse FPS wise?

The obvious questions are:

1. At the initial game release (1.0) what was your FPS?

2. Subsequent patch releases: how did you fix your game getting "worse"?

Just to clarify, EVERY time a new patch comes out and gets released over Steam your game gets worse FPS wise?

The obvious questions are:

1. At the initial game release (1.0) what was your FPS?

2. Subsequent patch releases: how did you fix your game getting "worse"?

yes, that is the case. however, to be clear, it's not a case of each update degrading performance more than the last, for example: update 1 - 20% decrease, update 2 - additional 20% decrease amounting to total of 40% over span of time. this is not the case, what is happening is the framerate just gets completely destroyed by the very process of updates being released, and thereafter I'm left to troubleshoot what the problem is.

1: hard to say since getting to a solid 60 required many hours of tweaking and research. I would estimate that at release my framerate in properly coded missions was 50-60 for the most part, 40-50 in large towns and 45 in exceedingly dense forest areas.

2: I fixed my game with vigorous amounts of troubleshooting. deleting files and validating, generating new config files, turning graphics settings off then back on, experimenting with compatibility settings and application settings in the nvidia control panel. that sort of stuff. unfortunately with the amount of things I try it's remained unclear to me which ones have actually helped, however in this case none of them have helped at all and now I'm at a dead end with the knowledge I currently have.

Bruhmis, have you done a defrag on your disc assuming it's not an SSD. Each update will leave the files very fragmented, especially if your HDD is getting close to full.

Bruhmis, have you done a defrag on your disc assuming it's not an SSD. Each update will leave the files very fragmented, especially if your HDD is getting close to full.

I have 860 GB free and I did a clean reinstall to a completely new directory.

---------- Post added at 01:54 ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 ----------

I've determined that the game is also crashing after brief gameplay consistently. I don't think I ever had one crash before this update aside from crashes caused by scripts in the editor.

since my last post I have done a full defrag of the hard drive, a clean reinstall of windows 7 and a a subsequent reinstall of arma 3. the problem persists and I have eliminated any possibility of my setup being the culprit.

since my last post I have done a full defrag of the hard drive, a clean reinstall of windows 7 and a a subsequent reinstall of arma 3. the problem persists and I have eliminated any possibility of my setup being the culprit.
I can't think of any reason why you would still be having problems after this but I will point out that since this problem doesn't seem to be endemic accross all users, it must be something on your setup. Maybe try posting in the one of the dedicated hardware threads.

I would ask other then your comp specs, post your RPT so we can see whats going on with the game, this too will show us your command line.

If you're using ESET anti virus try disabling the advanced memory scanner.

I can't think of any reason why you would still be having problems after this but I will point out that since this problem doesn't seem to be endemic accross all users, it must be something on your setup. Maybe try posting in the one of the dedicated hardware threads.

it's not extremely common but I've found 3 threads dating from alpha up until now where users reported the exact same problems. when the game updates it doesn't interact with my hardware. it doesn't have the power to make changes to my hardware, and likewise my hardware doesn't detect when a specific game updates then make changes to itself. if my hardware has any involvement, it's that the update changed something with the game that made it perform worse on a specific component I have. only bohemia can fix this, I can't go out and buy new parts every time the game decides to stop supporting mine.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

I would ask other then your comp specs, post your RPT so we can see whats going on with the game, this too will show us your command line.

https://mega.co.nz/#!CAFklDIT!cQfYbwhtKDe9lW50ByxyhiXbGG8mcZ0hkIthPUUkfRY that's one of them. I have more if that one doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

If you're using ESET anti virus try disabling the advanced memory scanner.

I don't use any AV, and being that I formatted and reinstalled windows and the first thing I did was install arma and try it, I've ruled out any possible conflicts with other software.

Make sure shadows are not on Low, this forces them to the CPU instead of the GPU.

Lower the viewdistance? over 3k is going to be bad.

331.93 drivers vs 331.82, any difference?

Has your bios been reset to default, thus reducing your cpu to a low multiplier? or the ram timings have been set to lowest level.

Heat throttling, is your graphics card/CPU overheating and lowering its performance to prevent damage?

I'm assuming this is all being tested in single player, no one gets fps higher than 30 in multiplayer, that's an entirely seperate issue with the game.

Make sure shadows are not on Low, this forces them to the CPU instead of the GPU.

Lower the viewdistance? over 3k is going to be bad.

331.93 drivers vs 331.82, any difference?

Has your bios been reset to default, thus reducing your cpu to a low multiplier? or the ram timings have been set to lowest level.

Heat throttling, is your graphics card/CPU overheating and lowering its performance to prevent damage?

I'm assuming this is all being tested in single player, no one gets fps higher than 30 in multiplayer, that's an entirely seperate issue with the game.

thank you for responding, but it doesn't appear that you read the OP which would have answered most of those. from lowest to highest, graphics settings don't make a difference. regardless of that, this isn't a ''FPS IS BAD HELP'' thread, the subject is that after an update my game went from 60 FPS to 20 FPS on identical settings with absolutely no changes to anything.

lowest to highest view distance makes a difference of about 3 frames, if that.

I didn't install new drivers between the time I was able to play and the time I wasn't.

no, nothing is overheating.

as stated in the op, all tested on official bohemia campaign missions, in addition to several other missions that ran at a solid 60 FPS for me before the update.

If nothing has changed I would start to consider the possibility of hardware failure.

A full memtest86+ run etc

If nothing has changed I would start to consider the possibility of hardware failure.

A full memtest86+ run etc

this isn't the first time this has happened though. it happens every time there's an update to the stable build of the game. I was on dev branch for months, getting updates every day and nothing ever went wrong but the minute the stable build gets updated my performance plunges. it's happened 4 times in a row.

As Kremator has said - Computer specs, via a DXDIAG report would be useful for the folks who want to assist you further.

As Kremator has said - Computer specs, via a DXDIAG report would be useful for the folks who want to assist you further.

my specs were already there and I updated the op with a Dxdiag link.

In that case, everyone would have the exact same problem. Many people would be able to deplicate it. The Devs would know where to start fixing it.

Even one other person with the same problem would be of great help in finding a solution.

Corrupt drivers, bad ram, a failing mobo, could all explain your problem.

Keep looking.

I love these posts, thought it was time to make a reply - one has an issue that many others have but everyone jumps in and say that the computer and/or user is at fault.

I have the same issue along with other members in our clan: The fps for the game after patch has dropped. No settings changed, no adjustments. JUST THE UPDATE and run the game. 20-30 FPS drop after update.

You shouldn't have to readjust your pc everytime an update happens. All of a sudden it is now your pc failing, posts saying defrag, bad ram, corrupt drivers, failing mobo etc.... WHAT BS! Why is this the only game that one has to readjust their entire pc to play properly! Especially when some of the systems being used are top end.

One post believes no one get higher than 30fps in multiplayer. What bs, I and others were getting 45-60fps in multiplayer mission we run. (and that was with 10 players in), then they go on to say check pc temperatures and memory etc... WHY WOULD AN UPDATE START TO F YOUR SYSTEM? Why would this update revert your bios etc backward?

The dev need to make sure the game updates work properly on systems before they release. I have even seen a post(s) where in DEV form the performance drops.

Ah well, there's my 2 cents worth - ready for the onslaught.

I love these posts, thought it was time to make a reply - one has an issue that many others have but everyone jumps in and say that the computer and/or user is at fault.

I have the same issue along with other members in our clan: The fps for the game after patch has dropped. No settings changed, no adjustments. JUST THE UPDATE and run the game. 20-30 FPS drop after update.

You shouldn't have to readjust your pc everytime an update happens. All of a sudden it is now your pc failing, posts saying defrag, bad ram, corrupt drivers, failing mobo etc.... WHAT BS! Why is this the only game that one has to readjust their entire pc to play properly! Especially when some of the systems being used are top end.

One post believes no one get higher than 30fps in multiplayer. What bs, I and others were getting 45-60fps in multiplayer mission we run. (and that was with 10 players in), then they go on to say check pc temperatures and memory etc... WHY WOULD AN UPDATE START TO F YOUR SYSTEM? Why would this update revert your bios etc backward?

The dev need to make sure the game updates work properly on systems before they release. I have even seen a post(s) where in DEV form the performance drops.

No onslaught (hehe), but does your specs have anything in common with our OP?

You shouldn't have to readjust your pc every time an update happens. All of a sudden it is now your pc failing, posts saying defrag, bad ram, corrupt drivers, failing mobo etc.... WHAT BS! Why is this the only game that one has to readjust their entire pc to play properly! Especially when some of the systems being used are top end.

the sad thing is that I would be more than happy to adjust my PC every time it happens, but I just can't anymore. I've done everything I can possibly do. the thing that gets on my nerves the most is when people say the devs would know about it if it was happening. well it is happening and they don't know about it. the reasons for that are obvious. bohemia has gotten so used to dealing with the same performance issues that they basically don't pay attention at all anymore. they've convinced themselves that every performance problem is the same issue.

don't get me wrong, bohemia does listen to feedback for the most part which is more than I can say for a vast majority of developers out there. but in regards to performance, they don't even pay attention anymore.

Corrupt drivers, bad ram, a failing mobo, could all explain your problem.

none of these could explain my problem. if it was failing hardware it wouldn't have magically gotten fixed the first 3 times when I did purely software based troubleshooting.

In that case, everyone would have the exact same problem.

this implies to me that you've never played a PC game before. you simply CANNOT just assume that if there's any problem that 100% of the community doesn't all happen to have then it's automatically the fault of whoever may have it. this logic doesn't make any sense. how would it even be possible for games to have bugs if this were the case, what would be the point of open beta testing if this were the case.

many other people have had this problem, a simple google search would show you that.

No onslaught (hehe), but does your specs have anything in common with our OP?

Specs: Pentium 3, windows xp, 40gb hdd. (REALLY)

My specs are not similar to OP (i7,12gb ram, 2xhd7970 gpu, ssd) except win 7 64bit: <-------- Maybe this is the problem

Actually the only time the fps got better was the 2nd to last update. As I said earlier there are a lot of players with top end pc's having the same problem.

yeah those specs are basically as far from mine as you can possibly have. windows 7 64 bit isn't the problem, way more people would have the same issues if it were. likely there is a common denominator but it would take attention from BIS to figure that out which we currently don't have and probably never will.

Completely agree with you.

I took a little break from Arma3 for 1-2 months, I decided to play today again after I saw there were some updates. And what a surprise, MP is unplayable now for me. I'm part of Arma3 since alpha, even when everyone was complaining about the bad performance in the first few months it came out, I had none, I had 50-60fps almost constantly in MP (I mostly played on servers with +20 players) and more than 100fps in SP, and now I have max. 30FPS in MP. I can put the setting to the lowest or to the highest it's stuck between 20-30FPS, and keep in mind I didn't touch the game for 1-2 months and I didn't change anything to my computer.

My specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 16GB

Running Windows 7 64-Bit

Completely agree with you.

I took a little break from Arma3 for 1-2 months, I decided to play today again after I saw there were some updates. And what a surprise, MP is unplayable now for me. I'm part of Arma3 since alpha, even when everyone was complaining about the bad performance in the first few months it came out, I had none, I had 50-60fps almost constantly in MP (I mostly played on servers with +20 players) and more than 100fps in SP, and now I have max. 30FPS in MP. I can put the setting to the lowest or to the highest it's stuck between 20-30FPS, and keep in mind I didn't touch the game for 1-2 months and I didn't change anything to my computer.

My specs:

GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 16GB

Running Windows 7 64-Bit

yep, exact same situation. would be nice if we could figure out what the common denominator is here so we could at least have something to report to bohemia.