Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Ghost recon enlightenment

Ya know, iv been thinking. The reason i thought Ghost Recon sucked was because it was so short range, but i saw something last weekend that made me think different.

I went on a little trip with my dad, his girlfriend, and her daughter (Chk-Chk!  biggrin.gif  wink.gif  ). We went to this place called Hurricane Ridge in north western Washington. We got up on a look-out up on this small mountain, and the fog was so thick that you could barely see for 20 feet in some places. It just made me think of Ghost recon, and how realistic its quite frequent weather conditions really are in some places.

So, i just wanted to exclaim that iv seen the light that CQB situations really do exist out-doors away from urban areas. Thanks for your time. smile.gif

Yes. But you know what do not exist? Invisible walls. You know what else doesnt exist? The inability to see neither your weapon, or your body, for that matter. Im glad they are remedying this in Raven Shield, although I am somewhat worried that the designers have elected to keep the Rainbow operatives trademark "scoliosis slouch".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 29 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes. But you know what do not exist? Invisible walls<span id='postcolor'>

I couldnt agree more about being able to see your gun and the rest of your body, but the invisible walls are something else that iv thought about. I think Redstorm comes at it from a different angle. If you think about it, if you were a special operative of that sort, you really wouldnt have any need to leave the AO anyway. So, in a way, they just save you the trouble. One way to look at it anyway. confused.gif

one thing i enjoy in OFP is chance of infiltration and then execution of enemies. in most FPS so far(exception might be taken for DF series), you have invisible walls.

however, OFP threw that into waters( tounge.gif ). with OFP, an assualt on a town can be done from far away distance, where you actually drive to that distance and then observe the enemy and then commence assualt.

one of my worst opinion about other FPS is that you are sooooo limited. I'm not a commando person, so that might be it, but i prefer checkng from every angle and then move in. and OFP fulfilled it.

No need to apologize for Redstorm to me. Theyve gotten my money before, and most likely theyll get it again. Its just that now that I have OFP, I see 'complete freedom of action' not as an option, but as a requirement. As you can imagine, Redstomrs games just arent the same in a post OFP world

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 30 2002,000)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No need to apologize for Redstorm to me. Theyve gotten my money before, and most likely theyll get it again. Its just that now that I have OFP, I see 'complete freedom of action' not as an option, but as a requirement. As you can imagine, Redstomrs games just arent the same in a post OFP world<span id='postcolor'>

Dont get me started. I am constantly in debt to Redstorm for the crazy amount of realism they're about to bring me in Raven Shield. New PC or not, i'm waiting with baited breath for the MP demo biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 29 2002,23:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">one of my worst opinion about other FPS is that you are sooooo limited. I'm not a commando person, so that might be it, but i prefer checkng from every angle and then move in. and OFP fulfilled it.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, i love commando style play. Either super long range and take them out before they can even see you, or super short range where you sneak in undetected and take the place down from the inside before they even know you exist. Both of which can be done in OFP. I just cant stand being the grunt in the middle...

Hey, commandos may fill recruiting quotas, but grunts win wars. And Im still up in the air on Raven Shield. I see some shots that look cool, but then I see a video that looks like Rogue Spear with a new coat of paint and one new feature (going prone). I think what would be great is if Redstorm included more of the badass gadgets they use in the books, a la Swat 3, but even more so, because theyre worldwide, baby

I dunno, man, Iv heard some CRAZY stuff about how realistic its going to be. Like, there isnt ANY third person view, just because you never have it in real life. Night vision, you can actually see the external player model take the goggles out and put them on, and then when you take them off, you see the guy remove them and store them in a pouch. Or if youre a machine gunner and you go prone, you see the guy flip out the bipod and set it up on the ground for increased stability. AND, for once, they actually have real scope reticles, and realistic zooming. Not to mention the new engine. The Unreal Warfare engine will be SOOO much smoother than the old "clunky" one.

And i agree. It does look like Rogue spear with a new coat of paint and some new functions. Thats why i'm so excited about it. Rogue spear kicked ASS, except for the things it left out which Raven shirld will be including for once.

Hey, if Im gonna pay full retail, I want my eye-candy goddammit biggrin.gif I dont want to look at a spiffed up 3 year old game for 60 dollars.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 30 2002,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, if Im gonna pay full retail, I want my eye-candy goddammit  biggrin.gif  <span id='postcolor'>

A---Men!! biggrin.gif

Heh, yeah. Redstorm deffinitely thinks a bit high of themselves. The only reason i dont own Ghost Recon yet is because im waiting for Raven Shield to come out so the price will go down. tounge.gif

I personally think being a Grunt is more fun. While I am good at Mp Co-Op special ops missions, I much rather be riding into battle and sieze the objective with my M-16 and Hand grenades rather than sneak in and blow the place to bits with satchels. Nothing can beat the intensity of a high profile firefight where people are dropping all around you.

Ahh, yes people! Continue worshipping me! ...wait...it is me you're talking about, right? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ Aug. 29 2002,22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ahh, yes people! Continue worshipping me! ...wait...it is me you're talking about, right? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Look at this Redstorm....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh, yeah. Redstorm deffinitely thinks a bit high of themselves<span id='postcolor'>

Are you more than one person?  I don't think sooooo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedStorm @ Aug. 30 2002,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ahh, yes people! Continue worshipping me! ...wait...it is me you're talking about, right? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, redstorm, i'm afraid it isnt tounge.gif

And as Tex said,

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Aug. 30 2002,00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, commandos may fill recruiting quotas, but grunts win wars.<span id='postcolor'>

This is true, but i dont want to win any wars. Totally leave that to the grunts. Its the BATTLES that have my name all over them! biggrin.gif

Ghost Recon : Take one weapon pack, and then add a 'Hold the fort' addon.

Every AI on the map (100+ sometimes!wink.gif converges on your position, whilst you and your mates defend it with personal weapons and HMG's.

Try it, it's fantastic fun in multiplayer.

Yeah, i make missions like that in OFP. It really puts a heavy load on your cpu, but its quite fun smile.gif

In Italy I also couldn't help but think of OFP while looking over the mountains each one more misty as it got further away.

Then I started thinking (as I was swimming) about all those "great whites in the Med" stories and films and swam like mad back to Positano!

So are you sayin that in Raven Sheild they're finally going to let you see the gun and your body?

I hate it how games do that though, you have your weapon in 1st person view, you look down, and your body has been chopped in half and your top half is floating.

I think GR does a great job for what it is. A simulation of special forces operations. It is much more limited than OFP in that scope and there is nothing wrong with that. I find the the game has a lot more polish than OFP. Both the visual and aural environment is much more complete. Also I find the AI is much smarter than OFP in some ways. I'd love to have more control over them a la OFP, but they stay alive much better and move into firing position. The enemy AI feels better too. Firefights are just that, I can get pinned down with fire and hear the bullets whizz by my head. In OFP the AI fires, it hits me. Firefights are frantic in the way that bullets are in the air and flying by. OFP is a very... aim, shoot, down. I shoot at a guy and after a few shots the AI 'knows' where I am. In GR I will hear the bullets flying around me, in OFP I'm dead, they hit me in the first shots. Also in GR suppressive fire will work. The AI will keep it's head down when fired at and try to flank. In OFP unless I barely miss a guy he won't react to my shots.

Colin

I totally agree with Dayglow. I like GR for the suppressive fire that the A.I. give. It really makes you keep your head down.

I have a perfect example from a mission I just played yesterday. A guy with a shotgun hit me with the first shot at 150m! We were both prone and I was taking shots with my iron sights and just missing. Well he turns snaps a shot and I'm dead. Shotgun. 150m. I don't know about you, but if I was armed with a shotgun and bullets were hitting around me I would run away, not calmly take aim and fire.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Aug. 31 2002,13:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know about you, but if I was armed with a shotgun and bullets were hitting around me I would run away, not calmly take aim and fire.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

It's just you. biggrin.gif