Sign in to follow this  
tmp95

A3 - single player - Is game enjoyable yet?

I purchased A3 several months ago - (long time A2 player). I play 99% SP.

I'm curious, when i bought A3, I jumped right in....found myself pleasently surprised over the course of first week. Learning the different features, graphics, etc. Saw bugs but figured BIS was ontop of them and working on them (they are always putting patches out as we know). But as the weeks came I found the game less and less enjoyable. The AI both Opfor and Blufor behaving oddly. Worse than A2 certainly it seemed to me the more I played around with simple editor created missions. (even if perhaps A2 was modded to run better.....why didn't BIS incorporate these AI improvements by now).

I don't know exactly....but it just seems to me A3 is off. Especially the AI. It seems worse. It seems they are Aimbots ridicuously so at times. But dumb as rocks at others. BIS still doesn't just give us a clear understanding (even in general guidelines) what the A3profile can do. With adjusting "precision enemy / friendly" "skill enemy / friendly". But that is anothre topic. I know TPW mods are very helpful. I use them.

I'm just wondering if perhaps I'm the one who isn't giving A3 enough of a chance (I haven't played in weeks, though I come to these forums every day to see whats happening if anything). I don't exactly why, but the fluidness of A3 is much better than A2....but the game itself and the AI of both Opfor and Blufor just seems off....and wrecks immersion for me continually when trying to play through a mission.

Yeah you're right that's why guys are attempting to correct AI behaviour ...

TPW is not a multiplayer mod and I heard it's a quite must have mod for single player !!!

but there are stuffs for server side :

-ASRAI3/TPWCAS (only needed server side - ASRAI changes behaviour and tpwcas add reaction to suppression effects on enemies)

-CFGAISKILL (only needed server side)

You should try online with a team that uses these mods : completly different feeling !!!

Edited by gagi

For me, setting the skill sliders to 0.61 works well. I enjoy the SP game on the latest dev branch.

FYI the precision settings seem to have no effect at all now. I believe BIS disabled them already in late A2:OA patches. So it is only the skill slider that matters now.

For me, setting the skill sliders to 0.61 works well. I enjoy the SP game on the latest dev branch.

When you say skill slider. Do you mean within the editor skill slider when placing units on the map. Or within the overall A3Profile. File skill level setting?

When you say skill slider. Do you mean within the editor skill slider when placing units on the map. Or within the overall A3Profile. File skill level setting?

The skill slider in the in-game difficulty settings. Both for friendly and enemy units. You don't have to go into the config file at all. The skill slider in the editor is just a ratio of the base skill set in the difficulty settings.

AI is awful. I just let them wander around like blind sheep and get themselves killed while I do all the work. Put a bunch of AIs on ATVs and watch them get stuck riding into rocks, fences and each other. They constantly disregard all manner of commands. I recall a point in the Alpha when AI was pretty good. What on earth happened? Should give TPW a try.

AI is awful. I just let them wander around like blind sheep and get themselves killed while I do all the work. Put a bunch of AIs on ATVs and watch them get stuck riding into rocks, fences and each other. They constantly disregard all manner of commands. I recall a point in the Alpha when AI was pretty good. What on earth happened? Should give TPW a try.

Yeah, I really believe Blufor team AI has gone backwards since A2.......and just overall AI Opfor has gone down hill too. Don't get it from BIS. But hopefully they are working on the big picture AI situation and all will fall into place within next patch or two.

But hopefully they are working on the big picture AI situation and all will fall into place within next patch or two.

No I would say more like the next 20 patches at least. But yes I have faith that BIS is working on it one step at a time.

Right now the enjoyability of singleplayer, for me really depends on what I go into a mission expecting/wanting. If I go in wanting a really immersive realistic "war-fighting experience" I will be disappointed - nothing ruins immersion and realism like seeing an ai remain standing and shooting in the middle of the open as bullets snap and impact around until he is eventually killed. It just plain stupid behaviour.

But if I go in just expecting to face a challenging opponent I am not so disappointed, because although they may not act human, their overly offensive/aggressive behaviour does make Ai pretty challenging to face - and this is not because of their aimbotishness but because they are so hell bent on killing you in the first place - if they were modeled as droids instead of humans their behaviour would be top notch.

Its all about expectations I suppose. Still I prefer a realistic and immersive opponent opposed to a challenging one. Playing COOP against the ai isn't quite as frustrating because at least one side of the fight is acting in a semi realistic manner and you aren't the last man standing in every single mission.

No I would say more like the next 20 patches at least. But yes I have faith that BIS is working on it one step at a time.

Right now the enjoyability of singleplayer, for me really depends on what I go into a mission expecting/wanting. If I go in wanting a really immersive realistic "war-fighting experience" I will be disappointed - nothing ruins immersion and realism like seeing an ai remain standing and shooting in the middle of the open as bullets snap and impact around until he is eventually killed. It just plain stupid behaviour.

But if I go in just expecting to face a challenging opponent I am not so disappointed, because although they may not act human, their overly offensive/aggressive behaviour does make Ai pretty challenging to face - and this is not because of their aimbotishness but because they are so hell bent on killing you in the first place - if they were modeled as droids instead of humans their behaviour would be top notch.

Its all about expectations I suppose. Still I prefer a realistic and immersive opponent opposed to a challenging one. Playing COOP against the ai isn't quite as frustrating because at least one side of the fight is acting in a semi realistic manner and you aren't the last man standing in every single mission.

Yep, I likely need to get back into playing some with just more playtesting expecatations.....continue to learn aspects of A3 - I was just very surprised that A2 seemed much more imersive and AI on a basic level seem much better in A2 than A3 after a week of playing.....

Here is to hoping BIS is slowly but surely working out AI issues for both Blufor (teammates) and Opfor.

Are you comparing to modded a2 or vanilla? Because for me, a3 beats vanilla a2 hands down. And a3 even beats a2 modded in some aspects such as turn speed, spotting mechanics, effectively shooting through foliage, pathfinding etc. Of course modded a2 wins in other aspects such as reaction to fire, and use of buildings and stances but at sommetimes at a cost.

Overall I think its wrong to say the ai has not improved or gotten worse, but it is still very fair to say that they still lack that realism and immersion bit which is really annoying in SP where everyone else is an ai. They put up a good fight, but its the wrong type of fight.

Are you comparing to modded a2 or vanilla? Because for me, a3 beats vanilla a2 hands down. And a3 even beats a2 modded in some aspects such as turn speed, spotting mechanics, effectively shooting through foliage, pathfinding etc. Of course modded a2 wins in other aspects such as reaction to fire, and use of buildings and stances but at sommetimes at a cost.

Overall I think its wrong to say the ai has not improved or gotten worse, but it is still very fair to say that they still lack that realism and immersion bit which is really annoying in SP where everyone else is an ai. They put up a good fight, but its the wrong type of fight.

I agree. All i'm waiting for now is I44 or any other historical mods that will come :), and to a lesser extent the upcoming campaign épisodes.

In my three years of experience in ArmA, Single Player is the only i play and I really enjoy it.

I use all AI mods we already know and ofcourse IA still has issues: is not like human : ) ...(some day they will be)

I´ve played on community and i enjoy it too, but i have to leave just because lack of time that a serious clan demand.

Nowadays i need to sit-and-play, no lobby waiting of any kind.

The way you play has a lot to do about enjoyment.

I´m a "hardcore" player, playing in veteran, no crosshair, no map icons, no helps except selections icon on my AI mates ( i need to know where they are ), one save, maybe two.

I always play the same mission until finish with success, and its really hard to accomplish! I take it as a personal challenge. You have lot of work to do there so, IMO, i find it impossible to get bored...; think each movement, to plan a safe engagement againts enemy, take care of your team, etc.

Something very important is THE MISSION you choose. I spend enough time looking for good mission before enter.

This days i´m Playing "Assault Camp Rogain". This author is very good on what he does.

Summarizing:

* No time to play on a serious sim community

* Public servers: i´ve seen people be more stupid than IA could be. Situations used to be caotic, unorganized and senseless.

* I found my way of everlasting way of play.

The single player game gives much enjoyment with new content releases. I am starting to enjoy the game editor most of all.

Single player with an AI team on your side is a lot of babysitting and micro managing, you either like it or not. I really can have a blast with sneaking up to an enemy location with an AI team, position them on good spots and then do a surpise attack on the location. If the opfor AI is setup porperly in the mission then it is a lot of fun to play SP. The AI behaviour is much better then arma 2 too, though they still have their buggy and retarded moments, but thats okay as long as the AI team is playable (and thus correctable). I prefer SP over MP public servers :)

The AI as they are now. Without any mods on them. Are insane. No matter what settings I apply, 90% of the time I'm dead instantly upon them even getting a sniff of my sent in the air. Drives me nuts to no end. There are a lot of scenarios out there that are really neat, but I can't do anything with the AI. Then inexplicably, your friendly AI are 5x worse then the enemy no matter what settings I apply. I watch videos, so I know they can be tweaked to be enjoyable, but all my experiences are laser death machines of the apocalypse. I have much better performance against people. Really enjoy PvP and TvT.

On Subject. With some more tweaking options for players and some more fundamental mechanics for AI behavior, singleplayer and Coop will be awesome.

The game is not enjoyable as a single player experience, the AI spoil it completely, dozens of issues have been raised regarding it, I think one developer works on it occasionally. The development build forum shows rare updates that do little to fix the problems. I don't think BIS care, they're counting their DayZ money.

For me the single-player side is the best there is. Works smooth enough (maybe big villages could be more smooth, AI units allowed more and would be somebit less deadly). Nothing serious to complain, only endless possibilities.

Why bohemia even bother diverting resources to the single player campaign is beyond me..

Why bohemia even bother diverting resources to the single player campaign is beyond me..

A proper PC game has SP campaign/modes. It is only the last generation that (over)focus on MP (and ignores SP), there is more in gaminglife then multi-player.

A proper PC game has SP campaign/modes. It is only the last generation that (over)focus on MP (and ignores SP), there is more in gaminglife then multi-player.

I don't mind single player campaigns, but I do mind when developers divert resources from the core gameplay (multiplayer) only to implement some half assed single player campaign with piss poor writing, voice acting and a child like approach to cut scenes.

I don't mind single player campaigns, but I do mind when developers divert resources from the core gameplay (multiplayer) only to implement some half assed single player campaign with piss poor writing, voice acting and a child like approach to cut scenes.

And how the core gameplay should be MP only ?

And how the core gameplay should be MP only ?

If you can't make the single player campaign worthwhile, yes absolutely.

If you can't make the single player campaign worthwhile, yes absolutely.

If you think that the only SP experience comes from the campaign in those games, then you have no clue what these games are about.