Sign in to follow this  
Harry Canyon

Power Struggle?

Any of you guys ever play Power Struggle in Crysis Wars? I was an avid Power Struggle player in Wars, but when Crysis 2 came out, Crytek turned their backs on us. We asked for it again and again, but they seemed to have no interest in bringing it back. I think with the large land area in this game, a Power Struggle like game might do well in MP. Right now were just holding flag poles for a second. Kind of boring. It needs more meat to it. In Power Struggle, you start out with a rank and so much cash to spend on weapons and vehicles ( yes, it involves money, but not like wasteland, this is team combat ). As you kill the enemy and take alien crash sites ( your after the energy their ships hold ), you earn more money, and can buy better weapons. After a few captures, you also gain a boost in rank. If you die, you lose all your money, but retain your rank, which determines your base start out money. So more rank, the more money you restart with, which makes sense.

Scattered across the terrain are two major bases ( red and blue ), vehicle and aircraft plants, and a Prototype facility. If you capture enough energy supply points, you can divert that energy to the captured Prototype facility and make advanced weapons. If you manage to get enough energy in the end ( at 100% ), the prototype facility will be able to manufacture nuclear artillery, tank rounds, and even man-portable launchers. With these, you can attack and destroy the enemy base ( which is the goal in winning ).

Thought it might be an interesting MP game in Arma. Just throwing it out there.

Edited by Harry Canyon

I don't know about "Power Struggle", as I haven't played Crysis online, but... maybe you should try new game modes in Arma. For what you say I think you are looing for TeeTime's Warfare or Benny CTI. Or other modes for which I don't remember the name but that are pretty similar to what you describe.

I loved playing power struggle in Crysis, it was most played, team oriented game mode and a very fun one if I might add. What a shame they dropped it for C2 and C3, I remember someone was making a port for C2 but dunno if it was ever finished. I agree it would be interesting to see something along these lines in Arma 3.

that sounds really interesting! i always thought that the whole resources thing was not done enough in arma. the game is a perfect platform for something like it. i find this idea really inspiring.

I like to much this game mode (easily to build on arma 3 if there will be the Warfare assets) i doubt on the end of match (victory condition) with nuclear blast

Yeah, the nuclear blast in Wars was AWESOME! Boulders and fire flying everywhere. I remember new players going "WTF was that!". Really, if Arma wants to do the 2035 thing, they should take a good look at Crysis Wars.

Yeah, the nuclear blast in Wars was AWESOME! Boulders and fire flying everywhere. I remember new players going "WTF was that!". Really, if Arma wants to do the 2035 thing, they should take a good look at Crysis Wars.

I believe the orientation/direction of Arma 3 is quite different from Crysis Wars. The first one tries to create a believable 2035 future based in real life facts and technologies, and Crysis Wars is more in the line of a fantastic sci-fi hollywood movie ( big booms and other unrealistic stuff ).

True, but how many people do you see playing on the servers? I looked earlier, and I'm guessing 300 max. Only about 4 servers were nearing full. And those were Life / Wasteland / DayZ servers. The rest had half or less. Very few people were playing Vanilla.

Original Arma does not appear to be very popular. Its not what people want. Thats for the niche crowd. A mod like Power Struggle would attract more new players. And that's really what this game needs. Some good MP mods to attract new players. Unique buildings and areas around the island to explore are also a must.

And I think one of the real problems of the "vanilla" Arma 3 MP is that you have all this future stuff. The realism fans like me just can't deal with it. We're all back in Arma 2 / ACE 2.

The people who don't care about realism (well, they like semi-realism, fun!) and future stuff are the Crysis Wars / Power Struggle types. And they appear to be the majority.

Edited by Harry Canyon

True, but how many people do you see playing on the servers? I looked earlier, and I'm guessing 300 max. Only about 4 servers were nearing full. And those were Life / Wasteland / DayZ servers. The rest had half or less. Very few people were playing Vanilla.

Original Arma does not appear to be very popular. Its not what people want. Thats for the niche crowd. A mod like Power Struggle would attract more new players. And that's really what this game needs. Some good MP mods to attract new players. Unique buildings and areas around the island to explore are also a must.

And I think one of the real problems of the "vanilla" Arma 3 MP is that you have all this future stuff. The realism fans like me just can't deal with it. We're all back in Arma 2 / ACE 2.

The people who don't care about realism (well, they like semi-realism, fun!) and future stuff are the Crysis Wars / Power Struggle types. And they appear to be the majority.

The niche crowd is the Milsim crowd. The majority of players play privately with Milsim groups. People like the game being realistic, it's why Arma made it to 2 and 3 in the first place.

hm. i found the mechanics of this gamemode sounded more interesting than the huge explosion. like adding more depth to capture modes. and maybe add better equipment progressively based on resources. i know there's warefare but it never felt like a team effort to me.

First just point out that Arma series is not a MP focused one ( the vanilla games ), it has SP and also MP ( mainly coop ).

A lot of people stick to A2 because they don't have the new game, or they dislike the new futuristic approach, or because they lack mods like ACE ( which are being made, but as Rome wasn't made in one day ).

But its just as A2 was in its begin ( with a lot of performance issues, bugs in the campaign, etc. ), but people like to compare the single A3 with A2 + OA Exp + DLCs + years of community mods + years of BI patches. Which is quite unfair.

I do believe that A3 will match and go ahead of what A2 achieved, but obviously it still needs years of polish and community addons/mods.

But your idea for a mod could be cool, but that should be talked in the Addon request in the addons forum not here.

First just point out that Arma series is not a MP focused one ( the vanilla games ), it has SP and also MP ( mainly coop ).

A lot of people stick to A2 because they don't have the new game, or they dislike the new futuristic approach, or because they lack mods like ACE ( which are being made, but as Rome wasn't made in one day ).

But its just as A2 was in its begin ( with a lot of performance issues, bugs in the campaign, etc. ), but people like to compare the single A3 with A2 + OA Exp + DLCs + years of community mods + years of BI patches. Which is quite unfair.

I do believe that A3 will match and go ahead of what A2 achieved, but obviously it still needs years of polish and community addons/mods.

But your idea for a mod could be cool, but that should be talked in the Addon request in the addons forum not here.

People are worried that older and newer members will guide the game away from realism towards being a more arcade game. Which some things with Arma 3 could show this is already happening, but the game is still being worked on. The emphasis on realism from Arma 2 seems to be missing from these forums recently, which is troubling.

A thread hijack about to happen...

@OP: Anything is possible in Arma! Just have to have the knowledge to do it. And people to play it, which is the hard part here.

A thread hijack about to happen...

@OP: Anything is possible in Arma! Just have to have the knowledge to do it. And people to play it, which is the hard part here.

Which is exactly what it should be! A sandbox game. People shouldn't think we have to stick strictly to milsim. You need to sell copies in order to keep developing, which is why you need a variety of mods to attract a variety of gamers. More people = more sales. Thats Econ 101. Then you will have the money to develop what you really love.

Crytek is a huge example. Look what happened to them. They put out a great MP game, Crysis Wars, which had a ton of people following it in the forums, and even modding for it. At the launch of Crysis 2, they dropped the bomb that they were no longer going to pursue Power Struggle and they were getting rid of vehicles. Boom, most of the forums left almost instantly. Crytek went against the will of the community. Some of us gave them a second chance, and they screwed us again with C3. That was the last straw. Their forums are dead now. Though it is a great place if your looking for ads for hair care! Their new vision, which I don't think ANYONE in the community wanted, is the FTP Warface. It just came out and it looks already like its going to fail. Thats 3 bombs. I don't know how their surviving.

So far, it looks like its the non-milsim mods that are fairing the best. I can sympathize, I'm a DCS fan. I own Black Shark and A-10C Warthog. If DCS didn't have military contracts, they would have been bankrupt long ago. I'm not sure where BIS stands with all that now.

People are worried that older and newer members will guide the game away from realism towards being a more arcade game. Which some things with Arma 3 could show this is already happening, but the game is still being worked on. The emphasis on realism from Arma 2 seems to be missing from these forums recently, which is troubling.

Really, the realistic milism is just the base sandbox. Look at Quake 3. It was a fantasy arcade shooter. From it spawned a number of realistic ( for that time ) mods like True Combat and the semi-realistic Urban Terror ( well... :) ). Thats how we should look at Arma 3. From a realistic shooter, some fantasy mods are going to be spawned. And thats good, because its going to sell copies of the base engine, and the developers will make money.

too bad. i liked this thread more when it was about the game mode idea. but i got some nice ideas from it. thx OP :)

No prob. Just thought I'd throw it out since the forums seemed so dead of late. But yeah, you don't have to 'exactly' copy Crysis Wars. I really just was hoping to give some people some outside of the box ideas.

Edited by Harry Canyon

Which is exactly what it should be! A sandbox game. People shouldn't think we have to stick strictly to milsim. You need to sell copies in order to keep developing, which is why you need a variety of mods to attract a variety of gamers. More people = more sales. Thats Econ 101. Then you will have the money to develop what you really love.

Crytek is a huge example. Look what happened to them. They put out a great MP game, Crysis Wars, which had a ton of people following it in the forums, and even modding for it. At the launch of Crysis 2, they dropped the bomb that they were no longer going to pursue Power Struggle and they were getting rid of vehicles. Boom, most of the forums left almost instantly. Crytek went against the will of the community. Some of us gave them a second chance, and they screwed us again with C3. That was the last straw. Their forums are dead now. Though it is a great place if your looking for ads for hair care! Their new vision, which I don't think ANYONE in the community wanted, is the FTP Warface. It just came out and it looks already like its going to fail. Thats 3 bombs. I don't know how their surviving.

So far, it looks like its the non-milsim mods that are fairing the best. I can sympathize, I'm a DCS fan. I own Black Shark and A-10C Warthog. If DCS didn't have military contracts, they would have been bankrupt long ago. I'm not sure where BIS stands with all that now.

Really, the realistic milism is just the base sandbox. Look at Quake 3. It was a fantasy arcade shooter. From it spawned a number of realistic ( for that time ) mods like True Combat and the semi-realistic Urban Terror ( well... :) ). Thats how we should look at Arma 3. From a realistic shooter, some fantasy mods are going to be spawned. And thats good, because its going to sell copies of the base engine, and the developers will make money.

I'm fine with mods! I just don't want to have the majority audience becoming people who hate the game being realistic. Of course it would be awesome to see a mod like this mentioned but don't we have the addon request forum for this kind of thing?

What I like about arma is its a realistic game that's you can do anything you want with mods. In time we will get our complicated medical system and the will be more realistic hopefully. Hopefully down arma 2's path regarding realism.

---------- Post added at 04:05 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

too bad. i liked this thread more when it was about the game mode idea. but i got some nice ideas from it. thx OP :)

Then it should be in the appropriate request forum.

Edited by ProGamer

Then it should be in the appropriate request forum.

report his post then. that's how it works.

It should definitely be possible to make PS in A3. If made well, it would be awesome...

hm. i found the mechanics of this gamemode sounded more interesting than the huge explosion. like adding more depth to capture modes. and maybe add better equipment progressively based on resources. i know there's warefare but it never felt like a team effort to me.

the problem is not the mode itself, it's people not working together. I have been in some games in which people actually were collaborating and working as a team, at least in my side, and it was great.

Mmm, I wouldn't call it a request, more like an idea.

I don't see the point of the thread clearly.

If its a Suggestion / ideas / request for the community to make it, then as ProGamer said, it should go to the Addon/Mod Request thread.

If the point is that BI should adapt and introduce this MP mode into the vanilla game, I don't really think that would fit in the Armaverse, but all can be talked.

Well first off let me say that I very much agree there should be more PUBLIC Player vs. Player game modes besides just Team Death Match, Wasteland, and life. My personal favorite right now is King of the Hill.

I still play Co-op from time to time but the main reason I stopped is the overall repetitiveness of those games, though that’s mainly an AI thing. Yes you can turn them down and make them stupid or turn them up and give them laser precision but they still react in the same manner and spawn in the same places. I just get a more fulfilling experience playing against other people.

Although I have never played it, I like the sound of a Power Struggle game mode because it sounds a lot like Planetside 2 which is another game I enjoy. As far as the suggestion…Yeah I guess this thread is in the wrong place since BIS doesn’t have any dedicated servers or whatever.

I had a suggestion for a more indepth version of the KOH mode as well and since I don’t feel like making a new thread I’m going to throw it in here…

It would basically be like standard King of the Hill except it would be the first team to 1000 tickets. You would have one big Main AO in a large city that each team would try to control by having the majority of players inside. However you would also have side objectives that would spawn in every so often...(15min depending on if the first side objective was attempted or completed?) The side objectives would be a way for the losing teams to help even the ticket score but they would serve little purpose for the winning team except to stop the other teams from getting closer to winning.

The secondary objectives would consist of missions such as… Designating an winning team player as an HVT and giving him and a PSD an objective to move to outside the Main AO…leaving themselves open to attack by other teams.(This would be the only mission that awards 50 points to the enemy team for completing or subtracts 15 for not attempting) Rescuing a downed pilot: Randomly spawning a teammate next to a smoking crash site and only allowing them map and radio comm every 8 minutes. (The enemy teams would know the approximate location of the crash.) And moving a convoy of 8 vehicles to a designated location: 2Mraps, 2Marshalls or equivalent, 2 HEMTT, 2APCs. The HEMTTs would be the bread and butter 50 tickets each for each one that makes it to the mark.. all other vehicles only count for 12.5 tickets. Each side mission would only be worth 100 tickets total though. Also finding and destroying enemy weapons caches inside the Main AO for 1 ticket each. (Keep in mind this is all just hasty theory…I’ll go more in depth when I post an actual thread.)

For the realism crowd… I love realism! I don’t like when someone can jump off a 2 story roof in full gear, shoot someone with a head shot 500m away and hit the ground running like nothing happened. I don’t like when it takes 4 shots to the face to kill someone or when someone can bunny hop and completely dodge every single round of a 200rd belt from 5m away, only to run completely around the building and shoot me in the back. But of all those things what I hate most still has to be the people who claim 22 years from now isn’t realistic or that by trying to fix faults or add certain features they are somehow killing the heart and soul of ArmA. Arma 2 did a lot of things well and a lot of things that other games can’t even come close to, BUT it still did a lot of basic things terribly. It was very clunky and…Arma 3 is pretty clunky too but it’s still better in my opinion. I agree with what MistyRonin said… I think so many of us are just so used to Arma 2 that we’ve become stuck in that realm and are now very reluctant to move forward yet we’re willing to compare a game that’s been out for years with countless mods and a bunch of content that was transferred over from the previous game to one that is trying something different and is relatively new. It seems that most of the people who make such claims about the death of realism didn’t really want a new game but just Arma 2 with modern (2013) vehicles.

I see a lot of people seeking out and attacking things that have changed from what they’re used to simply because those features are different without even trying to weight the benefits. As many others have said ArmA is a SANDBOX game and in my opinion that is what makes it so great. It’s foundation is based on CHOICE! You can go where you want, do what you want, make what you want to make and play how you want to play! If you want to join a private clan and play super realistic missions, great! If you want to find a bunch of people and goof off racing trucks around the countryside, have at it! Different people like to do different things and not everyone likes to do the same thing all the time. It’s one thing to always push to keep the game true to realistic aspects. (e.g. Ballistics, Stamina, Movement (Still needs to be more fluid IMO), Physics, Content) However it’s something quite different to restrict how people play or certain features they use just because it’s not the way you like to play and claim it in the name of realism.

Power Struggle sounds quite similar to Warfare mode from Arma 2 with a few twists. Could be a lot of fun. Not sure that I have enough script-fu to make a mission like that actually work yet but I might just have to give it a try anyway.