Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Where are the old objects?

Are you sure? New content is good but why not have it building on existing content?
Because said existing content is so noticeably worse in appearance (I say this as someone who has used AiA) that Maruk outright said that they're not going to put in the time/resources to either upgrade it to "Arma 3 standards" or to recreate it from scratch? (Though he characterized such upgrading as "beyond what we can do in reasonable time", the whole point of his answer was that they're going to do the library release for modders specifically because the devs weren't going to do it themselves.) Though it is interesting that while lack of time pre-release is obvious, time limits seem to apply in even post-release development.

We will never see the level of content Arma 2 had, ever. :(

Arma is supposed to be getting more and more content throughout the campaign episodes post-release. I'm fairly certain we will see fairly close to the amount of Arma 2 content, only with more quality.

To approach that we'd also have to be having a standalone expansion and three paid DLCs to boot. :p (The "Lite" versions were alongside the paid versions, so I'm not treating them as separate.)

ArmA is not an AAA title. well its far from it now. and certainly was not on release. maybe it will become an AAA title in the future.

AAA priced.

...Source Engine which started as Quake 1 engine and is thus 17 years old

Many of these statements were a stretch, but I don't know how you could even think this. Unless you have some sort of insider info that I don't.

Anyway, the point is that BIS decided to modernize their game with new assets and throw out (most) of the old stuff, and that's not a bad thing. The amount of content always goes down when a company does something like this. Look at GTA:SA to GTA IV. Personally, I would have rather they focused on more drastic changes to the engine, since that's what we are going to be stuck with for the next few years.

Arma is supposed to be getting more and more content throughout the campaign episodes post-release. I'm fairly certain we will see fairly close to the amount of Arma 2 content, only with more quality.

ArmA3 doesn't need 'more' content. It needs half its content completely replaced.

And thus far BIS has promised only 2 CAS planes (and Marek was already talking about paid DLC FYI). A rather useless addition considering how huge of an issue copy-paste is and how much it needs resolving.

The new content is not much "quality over quantity" either. What's with whole weapon systems missing on tanks that were available in ArmA2. Or UGLs / rocket launchers lacking reloading animations / soldiers putting air into the tubes.

Edited by metalcraze

(and Marek was already talking about paid DLC FYI).
Which actually has me intrigued and interesting in hearing more from Maruk about what's supposed to be in it. ;)

Honestly, I like it better this way. ArmA 2 just used the same old recycled blackhawks, LAVs, hinds and M1A1s while ArmA 3 adds a completely new degree of awesomeness because it's DIFFERENT. I can't be the only person who's tired of using the same stuff over and over and over through game after game, can I?

^Agreed, I would love to see a modular system to the vehicles, rather than a different vehicle for a different cannon, up-armour or cammo.

Honestly, I like it better this way. ArmA 2 just used the same old recycled blackhawks, LAVs, hinds and M1A1s while ArmA 3 adds a completely new degree of awesomeness because it's DIFFERENT. I can't be the only person who's tired of using the same stuff over and over and over through game after game, can I?

Different unrealistic and balanced stuff that annoys veteran players. There are modern vehicles and weapons that come after Arma 2's stuff, so why didn't we see that stuff?

Different unrealistic and balanced stuff that annoys veteran players. There are modern vehicles and weapons that come after Arma 2's stuff, so why didn't we see that stuff?

I've been with this series of games for a long time yet these new items don't annoy me, and I'd hardly call the additions balanced. I've seen a Merkava take three missiles along with a serving of 30mm AP rounds from an MI-48 before it blew up, during which time it dismembered three infantry squads. I've sat in a Patria and absorbed rocket after rocket from a KA-60 before putting a 40mm hole through its pilot. If you think these things are balanced, I'd kindly advise visiting a psychiatrist.

I've been with this series of games for a long time yet these new items don't annoy me, and I'd hardly call the additions balanced. I've seen a Merkava take three missiles along with a serving of 30mm AP rounds from an MI-48 before it blew up, during which time it dismembered three infantry squads. I've sat in a Patria and absorbed rocket after rocket from a KA-60 before putting a 40mm hole through its pilot. If you think these things are balanced, I'd kindly advise visiting a psychiatrist.

The damage system is actually a lot better regarding most vehicles. The AAF is supposed to be inferior to the other two faction yet they have weapons ad vehicles that are equivalent to the two faction and will likely have a jet that's just as good as the new Opfor PAK jet.

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 ----------

Which actually has me intrigued and interesting in hearing more from Maruk about what's supposed to be in it. ;)

I'd pay for new features to I prove the modding of naval assets.

The damage system is actually a lot better regarding most vehicles. The AAF is supposed to be inferior to the other two faction yet they have weapons ad vehicles that are equivalent to the two faction and will likely have a jet that's just as good as the new Opfor PAK jet.

---------- Post added at 05:04 ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 ----------

This is true.

This is what actually increased my enthusiasm for Arma 3, not dampened it like another "201x" game would have.
Got Royal Navy/Royal Australian Navy money?

What's unrealistic about the new content? Much of it is based on real life equipment. AAF stuff is inferior to what the other factions get. Their rifles and airplane aren't even considered new by today's standards and this is supposed to be 20 years in the future.

There are definite issues with some of the content in ARMA 3 (a lot of stuff is straight up copy-pasted from one asset to another), but I wouldn't call any of it unrealistic.

Got Royal Navy/Royal Australian Navy money?

Between the community as part of an expansion pack or as a dlc maybe we do :D