Sign in to follow this  
progamer

Do ricochets happen off of vehicles yet?

Yes, they sure do.

I'll return with some photo evidence in a bit.

(Courtesy of the nifty projectile path tracing script that's been going around lately.)

A .45 deflecting off a Buzzard's wing:

88dt.jpg

They can even occur inside certain vehicles:

u2tz.jpg

Edited by Koukotsu

Oh god, that chopper is a death trap. Imagine MG fire from the ground bouncing around in the cockpit.

Bullets also ricochet off rabbits, bushes, helmets and water. ( Well not actually ricochet but deflect after penetration. Unless the rabbit is wearing a helmet.)

Do ricochets happen off of vehicles yet?

Check the feedback tracker that you keep harping on.

(Courtesy of the nifty projectile path tracing script that's been going around lately.)

Link please? Only asking because I spent around half an hour yesterday looking for it to no avail.

Somewhat related...

From RPS comment section on Dsy Bullet Physics video:

Watching the video I have two guesses about the bullet physics in this game:

1. The bullets are indestructible.

The only reason a bullet disappears is if it has no more energy left. This is evident because all bullets either penetrate or ricochet if they have high energy. In the multiple-wall penetration test bullets from the same gun penetrate the same amount of walls every time.

2. All materials are treated as a solid block with no flaws or variations in density.

This is why sandbags are so easily penetrated. It could be made visible if the target of the penetration test was transparent. A real sandbag stops pretty much all bullets because the more energy you use to penetrate the more resistance it offers, same as water. Most bullets would just disintegrate inside the bag. Brick walls should also have much less ricochets because the bullets would likely get stuck in the wall. I would like to see a similar ballistic test for firing into the water.

Finally I don’t think the bullets would skip that often on normal ground.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/28/going-ballistic-arma-3s-bullet-physics-detailed-in-video/#more-174327

They guy has some good points.

They guy has some good points.

FFS, more people who want more when more wasn't enough !! Want want want .....

.... It's only like a 10 times better simulation than any other $50 sandbox game!

Gnat;2545534']FFS' date=' more people who want more when more wasn't enough !! Want want want .....

.... It's only like a 10 times better simulation than any other $50 sandbox game![/quote']

Yeah, I know Arma is intended to be more realistic than the typical video game but expecting it to provide an immaculate reproduction of real world ballistic properties is just a tad bit unreasonable in my opinion.

Although I'm sure the penetration/deflection simulation can certainly be improved from here to whenever.

Gnat;2545534']FFS' date=' more people who want more when more wasn't enough !! Want want want .....

.... It's only like a 10 times better simulation than any other $50 sandbox game![/quote']

How did this come from me asking about bullets ricocheting off of vehicles after I had mixed results in game? The penetrations and ricochet system is one. The best in any game I have seen, nothing wrong with improving it and leaving others games in the dust.

How did this come from me asking about bullets ricocheting off of vehicles after I had mixed results in game?

It doesn't. I didn't quote you. Recheck my post.

I'm not complaining, not even my post!

But indeed the bullets are *always* indestructible until they hit the ground, which is kind of strange.

Are the bullets really indestructible? When they lose much of their velocity in penetration or ricocheting, maybe they are just a cluster of fragments? You can't really see the intact bullets either?

And there are variations in object densities, because there's variation in bullet reactions. Although it's just randomnes of bullets, not materials.