Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Group Callsigns on Globalchat, Vehiclechat, and Commandchat

What do you mean exactly, do you have an example? BIS uses the conversation system (kbTell) for all communications.

Using this command: _unit globalchat "Hello"; will produce BLUFOR: "Hello". But in the campaign, BI get conversations with John Doe: "Hello." on the global chat channel. Now, I bet it's because BI use, as you said, KBTell. Trouble is, it all looks a bit above my head! :) Shame there's no simple way to get a named prefix into the conversations.

Does anybody know then, how speakers' names are set? BI have done it. Even with KBtell though, I'm not sure how they did it? Any ideas?

Set up some identities in your description.ext:

// Identities
class CfgIdentities
{	
class gomez
{
	name = "Cdr. Gomez";
	face = "NATOHead_01";
	glasses = "none";
	speaker = "Male01ENG";
	pitch = 1.00;
};

class wolf
{
	name = "Sgt. Wolf";
	face = "WhiteHead_03";
	glasses = "none";
	speaker = "Male03ENG";
	pitch = 1.00;
};
};

And then assigns the identity to your speaker:

this setIdentity "gomez";

Or if you don't care for faces and stuff do the easy way by:

this setName "Peter";

Hi Pete, thanks - but I've tried all of the above! It works fine for the sidechat, but things like globalchat still come up with BLUFOR: "my example line of dialogue". Yet, on BI's campaign, they get names up. For instance, on the globalchat channel they have Miller: 'giving his briefing etc.". Any ideas how they did that?

Okay, I'm calling a CFGradio entry with directsay now, which brings it up in Global just fine. No more 'Blufor'. But, what I am getting, is the unit's name in square brackets. How can I get rid of those brackets? Like in the campaign? I can't work out KB tell and I'm hoping I can get a workaround by using the CFGRadio entries...

Okay, I'm calling a CFGradio entry with directsay now, which brings it up in Global just fine. No more 'Blufor'. But, what I am getting, is the unit's name in square brackets. How can I get rid of those brackets? Like in the campaign? I can't work out KB tell and I'm hoping I can get a workaround by using the CFGRadio entries...

That's strange it's always was just

UnitName: Blah blah

for me, what's the cfgradio entry?

There is a new kbtell function, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I think it only works with BIS missions.

Are you referring to BIS_fnc_missionConversations? What error pops up? <mission name> not found in cfgSentences?

Edited by HKFlash

That's strange it's always was just

UnitName: Blah blah

for me, what's the cfgradio entry?

So here's what I've got.
class CfgRadio

{

sounds[] = {};

class RadioMsg1

{

name = "RadioMsg1";

sound[] = {"\sound\filename1.ogg", db-100, 1.0};

title = "I am ready for your orders.";

};

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Basically, if I use commandradio, I get Unit_Name 1. If I use the directsay command, I get nothing at all. Or, if I use it in conjunction with the player, I get square brackets around their name. Using KB tell would probably be the solution, but I'm finding it difficult to use. It's quite complicated for me and a bit above my head... find it hard to believe I can't get a work around with say, or with the radio commands. The only one that works flawlessly is the sidechat.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Maybe it would make a difference if I called it from a stringtable?

I've got it working, at least with BIS' soundfiles. However, it doesn't work as i expected. For instance, the groupchannel is never used although i talk to a groupmember.

Example Mission

IndeedPete - awesome, I'll test that out! Thanks! :) It looks do-able!

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Hmm, I've tried out your exampleKBTell mission Pete, but still having the problem! I'm fine with getting text to appear etc., but what I want to do is to get the callsign names appearing like they do in the campaign. For example, in the campaign we have something like the following appearing on the direct radio channel, in white: Private Jones: 'bla bla bla'. When I try, and on the example mission, I'm getting [Private Jones], in square brackets. I kinda want to lose those brackets... thanks, though - for your post and for the mission! I think I've sussed the KBtell, or at least, understand it a bit better.

That's what i meant by unexpected behaviour. When i used kbTell in A2 it worked fine that way, no brackets, all channels were used properly and so on. But it seems they changed something in A3, i'll probably take a look into the campaign files later.

Thanks Pete, I'll do the same! :) I'm sure we'll crack this one!

Hi Pete - thanks SO much for your example mission. With it, I've got KBTell working and all my problems are sorted! Amazing mate! Well done!

No problem, glad to hear that! Maybe you have some sample to share? Some example, what and how you did it? :)

There is a new kbtell function, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I think it only works with BIS missions.

Well for anyone interested, I got this working (BIS_fnc_kbTell). But it doesn't make anything easier. It requires you to define your sentences in the description.ext, as well as in the .bikb file. So you're copying and pasting a bunch of stuff you already have, and for not much benefit. Certainly not for simple conversations anyway. I'm reluctant to post my findings because it seems like so much hassle that I'm not sure I'm even doing it right. Hopefully we'll get some official documentation on it.

Anyway, for people who already know about kbTell and bikbs, here's how I understand the kbTell function. If you don't know anything about the kbTell system, I wouldn't even bother with this, just stick to the regular kbTell commands. Also, this example is for basic, scripted conversations, not for interactive stuff using the communications menu.

Description.ext:

class CfgSentences {
class [color="#FF0000"]TAG_myMission[/color] {
	class [color="#0000FF"]myTopic[/color] {
		file = "kb\TAG_myMission_myTopic.bikb";

class Sentences {
			class myTopic_01{
				text = "Shoot, communicate, move, a-ha!";
				speech[] = {"\Sound\R_myTopic_01.ogg"};
				actor = "Guy1";

};

};

}; 
};
};

the Sentences class is basically identical to what you see in the bikb file. What's puzzling is that even though the function ignores the defined text and sound entries in the description in favour of the .bikb, if you were to remove those lines from the description, the sentence will not play. So you are forced to c+p a bunch of stuff that is redundant.

How to call the function:

["[color="#0000FF"]myTopic[/color]", "[color="#FF0000"]TAG_myMission[/color]", nil, "SIDE"] call BIS_fnc_kbTell;

There are a bunch of different parameter options available when using the function, which you can see in the function viewer. The only one I'm using in this example is forcing the sentence to be played over the "SIDE" radio channel. If you do this, the speaker unit's lips won't move. If you force the "DIRECT" channel, the speaker's lips will move but the sentence won't be played over the radio if you're outwith a certain distance, which I think is one of the main advantages of using kbTell.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't see any great advantage over using the regular kbTell commands. Except maybe that the function is global (I think). Combined with the missionConversations function, it just seems like alot more work for little added gain. But hopefully I'm wrong and a dev will explain it at some point, or maybe someone else will dig around and come up with something.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

2ndRanger,

I already suspected that the sentences would have to be called by the description.ext file. After all, when you introduce a function inside a mission, you use similar code.

I think these config entries can be seperate files, such as cfgSentences.hpp or cfgFunctions.hpp although I'm unsure at the moment and unable to test it since I don't have access to A3.

Whatever the case, it's way too much hassle for too little gain. Hopefully these features are not finalized.

Hi - sorry about the late reply - IndeedPete, I'm putting together an update for my Armoury Template. Should have it up and running today; subscribe on Steam Workshop and check out the .pbo. There's loads of speech etc. I'll also post here again and try and give you a breakdown of what I did...

Hi - sorry about the late reply - IndeedPete, I'm putting together an update for my Armoury Template. Should have it up and running today; subscribe on Steam Workshop and check out the .pbo. There's loads of speech etc. I'll also post here again and try and give you a breakdown of what I did...
Just downloaded your armoury, Good job Kydoimos!

Damn, and i was excited that i can still use the old stuff in my current MP missions for task decisions in conversations with the communication menue. would love to see a DEV tutorial for that like the one from A2.