Sign in to follow this  
bracer

The New York City Project

Ran some quick tests with the AI now, see the results in the video below.

Also figured out how to use proxies so that I can add some furniture!

Good stuff, important progress!

Don't expect them to walk up to the 24th floor by themself though.

Now is this ArmA III or an ArmA II map or Both

Now is this ArmA III or an ArmA II map or Both

It's a bunch of buildings that work in both games.

I'm doing most of the testing in A2 atm, because I don't have the patience to wait for Steam and A3 to start up on my old rig...

If I make maps, there will be differences for the different games.

Great progress bracer, things are looking excellent. Cant wait to see Arma 3 lighting effects in those dark corridors

Time for a good/bad news report!

Today I managed to kill alot of performance issues by working on the different LOD's.

So I tried putting a large amount of buildings on a map, and performance is excellent!

That's the good news.

On the downside, the buildings look bloody aweful in a distance.

So I have alot of work to do on the low quality LOD's that shows in the distance.

7lls.jpg

Hmmm...

If only you could add a script that enforces limited view distance (~800m-1km)to ground forces-while air units could have *larger

This kinda removes freedom-but like reality it removes lots of problems/performance issues on the spot.

(Just a *revolutionary thought)

Edited by GiorgyGR

That I doubt will be problem for missionbuilders!

I believe I saw it in A2.

Ugly far lods do not matter, GTA does it the same way. Far parts are obscured most of the time.

http://stiahnut.sk/data/mujsoubor.cz/uploadimages/GTA%20V.jpg

How huge do you want it the map to be? A complex enough map wouldn't even have to be that large. Several square kilometers would be enough.

Oh, that made me optimistic! Haha! Thanks!

We'll just add some fog, and it will simulate the smog of a big city!

I of course want it enormous, but yes, a couple km2 of city, plus some parks is totally enough for the purpose of tight infantry battles.

but yes, a couple km2 of city, plus some parks is totally enough for the purpose of tight infantry battles.

But..of course!

It's a nice start /especially for an early public Alpha soon-ish..if ye'know what i mean :D

It would good to put this mod for A3 only and not for AiA

It doesn't require AiA anymore, read more about it a few posts back.

Oh, that made me optimistic! Haha! Thanks!

We'll just add some fog, and it will simulate the smog of a big city!

I of course want it enormous, but yes, a couple km2 of city, plus some parks is totally enough for the purpose of tight infantry battles.

hearing this and seeing the pictures, it most likely will be the fallujah of ArmA III, just imagine insurgency on it

But..of course!

It's a nice start /especially for an early public Alpha soon-ish..if ye'know what i mean :D

I know what you meen and I'm thinking along those lines.

Not sure yet how much I should finish before releasing a test version.

It's an endless project, but still I need decide a goal to reach before release:

How many buildings?

How much interiors?

Should there be a good looking terrain?

And so on...

Bracer, I would like to suggest for indestructable roadblocks nearby the edge of the city, or a bit outwards into the surrounding countryside if you happen to have a highway-ring running around (a portion) of the city.

That way you can actively simulate a containment area, that being downtown city itself. Such can be used as an excuse to slowly expand "the blockade" ring outward as more content is being released over time.

One goal of such policy (kinda like what BIS is doing through dev-builds.) could be to effectively measure various types of (heavy) gameplay on various rigs, and garner some feedback by doing so..

Anyways, these are just meant as polite suggestions, and ofcourse feel free to do as you please. But thanks for reading, and having started this massive project of yours! :)

Baahh..

Just Kidding Bracer.

You got too much tasks with this project-you even got yourself into AI waypoints-

Personally -as a player- i would love to see this map live on my screen ASAP..but as a fellow community member i 'll say :Take your time-you are doing great work ;)

Hey, if you are going to medel NYC, why not just manhattan, at least to start? it has an area of only 87 Km^2, and you could put road blocks on the bridges and tunnels.

Anyway, good luck with the project!

I had a rather succesful multiplayer test today.

A slight performance issue though, but I'm guessing it will still run acceptable if your PC is not 8 years old like mine.

So now I'm preparing a simple map to release and test the buildings in the public community.

The plan is to release a alpha-alpha-alpha (ugly, bug-packed) version to test performance and to see how players in general will use the map.

It will help me to figure out how big I should make the map, how the buildings are performing and if I should focus more on making it AI friendly or fun for PvP.

The map will not be very detailed.

I won't bother spending too much time on it until I know what kind/size of map will be needed for the buildings.

I'm really looking forward to test it in mp with alooooot of players, and I hope someone more skilled at missionbuilding than me, will make a cool TDM or King of the Hill type mission we can use to test the map/buildings in.

An ETA of the release will come as soon as I have solved a few issues.

After trying this, you will be scared of windows the rest of your life.

There is sooooo many windows/sniper positions.....

This map will suck.... :868:

After trying this, you will be scared of windows the rest of your life.

There is sooooo many windows/sniper positions.....

This map will suck.... :868:

There was a custom map like that on red orchestra 2, every building entereable, so it took about 1-2 hours to clear this small town by going prone in by every window as you stuck your head up for more than 2 secs and 'BAM' your dead again :p

There was a custom map like that on red orchestra 2, every building entereable, so it took about 1-2 hours to clear this small town by going prone in by every window as you stuck your head up for more than 2 secs and 'BAM' your dead again :p

It will probably be like that.

But it's something we havn't experienced in an Arma game, so it will be fun!

I hope.....

The testing terrain will be very simple and squarish for now, see the photo bellow.

Along the coast there will be nothing, since I havn't started to build any harbour type buildings yet...

yjig.jpg

just the complexity tells me that if you expand this to a full sized city then we got ourselves the next fallujah