Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Hiding and making markers show up

Right, I need some help with this.

I have a bunch of markers in my map, they all have a certain name and are all of different types (destroy, flag, etc.).

What I want to do is have some of them hidden at the start of the mission and some of them not, and some others showing up on command after the mission has started and some trigger or script is activated.

I was hoping there is a command, similar to

"markername" markerstates "active" or something like that.

If you could help me with that, I would appreciate it muchos smile.gif

Cheers lads smile.gif

To hide a marker set the marker type to empty (e.g. in the init.sqs):

"markername" SetMarkerType "Empty"

To make it appear set the marker type to the type you need, e.g.:

"markername" SetMarkerType "Flag"

Ummm, I added a few markers in the editor that are of type empty. It is a blue circle with a line through it. Those are invisible?

And then I can change them to whatever I want them to be through setmarkertype, right?

So in theory I could start off with empty markers (through editor) and just change the ones I need through the mission.

Do I understand this correctly?

I moved my markers outside the map in the init.sqs then I moved them to objects when I wanted them to appear, if U have no object that U can move them to U could use a game logic. Just another way of doing it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ Aug. 23 2002,10:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I moved my markers outside the map in the init.sqs then I moved them to objects when I wanted them to appear, if U have no object that U can move them to U could use a game logic. Just another way of doing it.<span id='postcolor'>

That's pretty much how I did it, had them all at the bottom of the map, when it came time for the mission to update, I forced the map to display and did a setpos for the markers to defined points on the map, they "appeared" and then map was forced closed.

Worked ok smile.gif

here is some more info on this

How to Update Mission Plans for Breifings

Init.sqs file - Make a notepad file and rename the .txt file to init.sqs. This file will set the initial conditions of your missions. You can use many commands in it.

Say we want the second objective to appear once a trigger is activated, and we want a marker to appear too.

If we wanted our 2nd ("0" is first) objective to be hidden at the initial briefing, use this code in a file called init.sqs located in your mission folder:

"1" ObjStatus "HIDDEN"

and there will be no objective one shown at startup. Suppose we want the objective to become visible part way through the mission. We could use the following command in the activation field of a trigger:

"1" ObjStatus "ACTIVE"

The same with markers (make the markers in the editor and name them "markername1"), in the init.sqs file type:

"markername1" SetMarkerType "Empty"

And then to display the marker we would use the following line in the same trigger activation field as "1" ObjStatus "ACTIVE":

"markername" SetMarkerType "Destroy"

Marker types:

"Start"

"End"

"Pickup"

"Marker"

"Arrow"

"Flag1"

"Warning"

"Dot"

"Join"

"Unknown"

This will set the marker to empty (invisible), and set it to a destroy marker when the trigger is activated.

So your init.sqs file will look like this

"1" ObjStatus "HIDDEN"

"markername1" SetMarkerType "Empty"

Which will set the initial conditions.

nice move Russin, but nobody asked for that biggrin.gif

I mean, Spinor already suggested the use of an init.sqs,

and i would also recommend this way, instead of moving

markers around the map.

A marker in any corner of the map is still visible, and

could look a bit stupid, once detected to early.

~S~ CD