Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Running animation with pistol still strange/ugly

Sorry, the animation while RUNNING with a pistol in the hands is still weird. People just don't hold a pistol (or anything else of that size) with BOTH hands while running. A2's overall pistol animation was more clumsy anyway and A3 is smoother but the characters switched at least to one-handed style while running. The current animation is not bad by itself but it only fits to walking or combat pace. I'd like to recycle my A2 pistol-only MP map... but when I see how characters RUN with a pistol... it turns me off completely...

You don't open your grip from the pistol when moving, because you would have to reset your grip upon stopping. And in pistolshooting, the grip is what makes you hit or miss. I think since we can't have the fully dynamics of movement you'd have irl, this is a good middle ground, and not a visual turnoff compared to the animations used for getting prone from the standstill or getting up from the prone.

And those still aren't really dealbreakers.

I don't know who taught you how to shoot with a pistol, but..... There about 5 billion opinions on moving with a firearm, and none of them perfect. When I was trained two hands on the pistol in the air meant if you fell you wouldn't shoot yourself, someone else, or land on your pistol as easily. Granted its a bit akward to run with two hands and not very economical for running sake, but who says your style is smarter then others? Nit picking that seems pointless and trust me running any way with a pistol isn't a good idea. Sometimes it has to happen.

When sprinting = one hand

When jogging = two hands

Should be the most realistic i think.

When jogging = two hands

I agree. This seems like the best solution to something that looks odd.

I was taught two hands, for stability and weapon retention.

I'm sure there's other trains of thought out there, different strokes for different folks.

I'm just happy there is an animation that actually lets you have your pistol lowered and not aimed and ready to fire at all times like in A2/OA

Only animation that is really ungly is transition from parachute to ground

When jogging = two hands

Ahmen to that.

The pistol handling anims are thousands of times better than in the ArmA2, are great and a clear improvement; the only bad point that i see with 'em... is that you can't make the AI handle 'em in 'Careless' behaviour as a dumb retarded drunktard from the deep south... and their size. The pistols are made too small IMO, a M1911 A1 haves 21cm from the tip of the slide to its bottom, and a P-99 haves 18cm too from the slide's tip to it's bottom; in game they look too small (IMO) and as if the possitioning LOD were badly placed,placed too low in the hands, as sunk into 'em... . Also, the anims do not correspond with the current pistol handling/routines that the military train nowadays. Let's C ya