Sign in to follow this  
Jefferson

ATI - Low FPS in spite of good hardware.

I have an Intel I5-760 @ 4 GHZ for A3 with 6950 CFX unlocked (same as 6970 CFX) and I can tell you it is not a gpu issue. Like everyone says, AMD CPUs per MHZ per core is not as efficient as an Intel CORE cpu equivalent.

ARMA's AI is a single thread at best and will need a single core to be as fast as possible to keep it moving.

I think one way to speed up ARMA 3 (and ARMA 2) is probably to DISABLE some cores and OC your cpu further. I wish someone has taken a QUAD or more core cpu and tested this theory.

The problem is ArmA [...] performs more like 3DsMax, Photoshop and so forth

If only. 3dsmax ramps up your CPU usage to 100% across all cores (real and/or virtual) while rendering. If it would work like that, the FX83x0 CPUs would perform great.

I think one way to speed up ARMA 3 (and ARMA 2) is probably to DISABLE some cores and OC your cpu further. I wish someone has taken a QUAD or more core cpu and tested this theory.

Turn off Coreparking.

More than Four Cores are not helpful for any PC game engine. And can hurt (may change in a year), because Windows will distribute the load of the cores, even parking some when it feels you dont need the power. Its a real issue with AMDs awesome multicore CPUs( which work better than Intel in multitasking on the desktop). And DX has too much overhead to effectively multithread. Maruku has stated that a two core CPU is better than a quad( there is no benefit over four cores). Still my 7970 is a great vidcard for this game, more CPUhz would be nice, I use a old i7@4.2... a old i5 @5gz+ (which is the easy one to OC) Would be better.

Coreparking off for me is 8fps more...and a smoother feel to the game. But i still find 25fps spots no matter what I do(domi type mis), if there are a ton of Vehicles. Remove the Vehicles and my FPS goes up. New update made the game better, hope to see some more improvements again.

Guest Melone

I ve got the same gpu (Gigabyte 7970 oc), but i7 3930k@3.8 on P9X79 WS . With ultra settings (vsync disabled) I get 50-90 fps on Stratis and 40-60 fps on Altis (samatra/magnon wasteland servers). Since I ve disabled core parking, Arma 3 even used all 12 virtual cores (ht on), it s really much smoother! When enabled it "only" uses 6 cores. But the 7970 oc is too loud, I m thinking of buying the zotac gtx 780 amp, that has only 3,6 sone.

I ve got the same gpu (Gigabyte 7970 oc), but i7 3930k@3.8 on P9X79 WS . With ultra settings (vsync disabled) I get 50-90 fps on Stratis and 40-60 fps on Altis (samatra/magnon wasteland servers). Since I ve disabled core parking, Arma 3 even used all 12 virtual cores (ht on), it s really much smoother! When enabled it "only" uses 6 cores. But the 7970 oc is too loud, I m thinking of buying the zotac gtx 780 amp, that has only 3,6 sone.
MS is using Six cores , ARMA only uses Four Cores max. Sooo MS is steeling CPU power from you when you play.

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Nah... we're talking about the raw CPU power. ... I do agree they haven't optimized AMD CPU's for ArmA, ....
just stop. Yes more CPU will help, just thru brute strength, BUT No engine does what the RV does. And the real culprit is WDDM. As for AMD CPUS they have the same issue on all DX engine games...some less than others, Arch choices by AMD hasn't helped them with WDDM, but then DX is a slow waste of power that we have in or PCs... And to Optimize for AMD muticore or any muticore(quad+) is a waste of time. Its more work than its worth and it can be slower. Its not in any PC game right now, and was taken out of FC3 and given up by DICE with Frostbite. Its right now really a single threaded world in PC gaming with some little brother cores following around. Soo Bis has to Optimize there assets, Missions makers need to be real, and be judicious with what they use. We as players have to just keep buying bigger better... Or go play COD or BF3 and have a different game style that isnt a sand box and gets 100fps at 1080p... Orrr get used to 35fps on huge missions, and find away to make it smooth. I did. Game is nice now. I am sure it will get better as all involved push it forward, like its always been. Running 1920/1440 Max/Uber, VD2.k, OjD2k~-.

PS maybe RV4 will use "Mantle" API and get on the Consoles., then we can free our selves from the slow yoke of WDDM.

Have the same problem!

AMD 1090 T

ATI 6950 2Go

6Go ram

Only 30 fps max on multi.

And in solo with a little bit of IA, same :/