Sign in to follow this  
KDog35

Selection of weapon on the battlefield

Just curious,

I'm in the middle of the campaign mission where I'm alone hiding, surrounded by enemy carrying a AK74 I picked up long the way because of low ammo. Question: Can the enemy tell the difference (in this game) between a M16 and a AK74??

Do I have a better chance of staying concealed choosing the AK and popping a couple guys than the M16?

Hope my question makes sense. Thanks for the response.

KDog-

enemy AI looks at you, not your gun. they don't think about the gun. they see which side you are, then decide actions upon it.

guns don't matter in your chance of survival. it's how you use it.

Well I'm asking if they can HEAR the difference?

Did the programmers of flashpoint incorporate this into the game? (identifying by sound).

If I run into a couple of guys out in the middle of no where, and I know there's some enemy in the distance, I may be able to get away with shooting the two and stay in hiding without the other enemies coming after me. Does this make sense?

If I where with some of my guys and I heard an M16 go off in the distance, I'm going to guess it's one of us.

thanks again - KDog.

i doubt if BIS implemented side option to rifles...so i'm guessing that it still doens't matter...anyone else? confused.gif

I don't think they differentiate. I don't think any game does.

Gee it'd be nice if AI didn't know what was what all the time. Like footsteps for example, how do they know it's me, and not Bob?

Think of it like this: if there is some shooting, others that hear it are going to investigate it, either by going there and looking what's up or using the radio, asking their men in the area what's up. No matter whether you use AK or M16, they know that hostile forces are around, why else would someone shoot?!

West                                                         East

You

If thats where the different groups are and you flank the east and are right beside them. How could they know you are not one of them shooting at the west when you are shooting at them and they dont see you???

They do seem to react more depending on the power of the weapon ie: RPG.

Just an observation.

Thats just because they see ur muzzle flash I reckon every time you fire, you have an increased chance of being seen as in every unit has a seeability rate, with Black Ops/Spetz Natz being the lowest, and increasing through sniper to ordinary grunts. When u discharge ur weapon Id imagine that seeability factor rockets up. So they react because they see ur weapon and so they are aware of ur position. But if u displace they do not know where u are again till u discharge ur weapon, uless they see u get there. Which is one of the reasons I love ofp, against both AIs and especially human players constantly displaceing is ESSENTIAL. Human players will just crawl through a bush till they can see where they know u are hiding and rake the place up, in OFP because the enviroments are so large when u know someones LC its easy to get a few shots on em beacuse they cannot cover every direction and there is so little natural cover. On games like DoD with an uber powerful MG42 u can cover entire streets because there is no other approach and even though people know ur there ur gun is good enough to rip them apart before they even see you

AI is a littl eto good, as if u shoot a group of soldiers heading away from u with a sniper rifle they will turn around and start shooting even if ur in a bush or on the edge of a forest.

All I know is I suck at this game. I'm trying anything to finish the campaign mission where you take out the two sheika's and I'm on my way the the second one. All my guys are dead, I have the LAW, binoculars, AK and I'm surrounded; can't sneak anywhere. Once I'm close enough, I can't find a window and take out the sheika. Got a BMP and tank in my way.... this boy has no skill! Any advice???

thanks, KDog-

is it from 1985 campaign? i destroyed so many damn shilkas that i don't know which mission it is(if RedHammer, really no clue)

don't worry..i'm the worst one. biggrin.gif

one advice i could give you is that you need to be silent and patient.

it's the regular 1985 one. It's about the 12-15th campaign into the game. I'm starting out with a M60 as gunner, we move forward, all the guys get killed, I grab the LAW and follow the waypoints. Along the way I run into 2 enemy soldiers (their kind of in some trees and brush) and I shoot them, but when I get closer to the next town where I have to destroy the second sheika, there's a BMP, tank, men and no matter what angle I take, I can't get closer enough to even see the sheika.

Fun, isn't it. biggrin.gif

oh that one.

yeah..being silent won't help on assualt on first town biggrin.gif

for first town, just let your AI teammates do their job while you participate passively in killing enemies. then, look for weapons. the hill on the otherside of first town should have some enemy snipers. if kill them, take their dragunov. then start taking russians from second town.

now, you quietly approach the second town, preferably with a LAW or a RPG. then blow the damn thing up and then ask for air support.

it's been awhile, so i'm not sure on details, but that's should give you general idea. smile.gif

yeah, i forgot to mention the first town. That's what I basically do, hold down the trigger. And on the second town(already having the LAW) you said "quietly approach", that's the problem. lol

With those tanks rolling around and not much to hide behind, I don't know what strategy to take; because I don't know it.

I'll just keep trying.