Sign in to follow this  
Imonars

All this buzz about the performence issue

i can say the same thing for crysis 1

You can if you spawn a huge amount of AI, or stacked up barrels, in which case you will see a similar performance drop. (After all, stuff like

is not even close to real time, but runs at 0.2FPS)

EDIT: Or, if you disable the simulation in ArmA3 of everything that is not very close to the player, in which case it runs pretty great anyway, but it would break most missions. :p

EDIT2: Also, not defending ArmA3's performance here, just saying that the comparison between ArmA3 and Crysis doesnt really fly. The comparison between ArmA3 and KSP(with large ships) would probably be better.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I've been happy as a peach on Arma 2 and 3.. It comes down to CPU speed.

It doesn't. Which part of "well within recommended specs" and "second long delays" didn't you understand ?

Edit: At least for Arma 3. Arma 2 has similar (not as much, but similar) problems with very large MP sessions.

As some have hinted, we've been through this with every single BI game. They're extremely demanding; any comparison with any other game is redundant, because no other game does anything close to what Arma achieves in scope and modelling.

For the record, as someone that has struggled with performance on every release going back to OFP, Arma 3 by that metric has been the best release BI have ever made. Considering what they've achieved, it's remarkable.

For newcomers, it improves over time. Both Armed Assault and Arma II throughout their support life improved dramatically.

For newcomers, it improves over time. Both Armed Assault and Arma II throughout their support life improved dramatically.

I hope you are right. How quick were the developers at fixing the game back then?

I hope you are right. How quick were the developers at fixing the game back then?

There would usually be a breakthrough patch that fixes the majority of issues. I don't think it is one single thing, rather a large number of small changes that are beta'd first. Forgive me for not remembering version numbers, but it's normally inside the first year.

Continuous improvement is a definite trait of BI releases.

There would usually be a breakthrough patch that fixes the majority of issues. I don't think it is one single thing, rather a large number of small changes that are beta'd first. Forgive me for not remembering version numbers, but it's normally inside the first year.

Thank you. I'm crossing fingers. Meanwhile, I'm going to exterminate peoples in Europa Universalis 4.

Edited by ProbeEtPylon

And adding new content too (october should bring vehicle and the 2 jet) :)

The very noticable AI lag on moving units ("rubber banding") was in since OFP/ArmA and only had been fixed at some point in ArmA2. For some reason I feel like it has been "unfixed" for ArmA3 but even if I'm wrong I wouldn't call that fast work.

I actually had 60+ FPS for quite a while the other night playing a mission I created, on a friend's server.

Went up to 80+ at one point. Jaw dropped.

Admittedly it dropped to around 40 when things were kicking off.

Goes to show that a mission without a load of gunf (I only used VAS, EOS spawning and INS revive and that's it) and a half decent server with only a handful of players does effect performance.

Not sure what the server spec was though as it's a friends.

EDIT2: Also, not defending ArmA3's performance here, just saying that the comparison between ArmA3 and Crysis doesnt really fly. The comparison between ArmA3 and KSP(with large ships) would probably be better.

Indeed it would, kerbels biggest problem is the physics are single threaded taking no advantage of extra cores.

I started with this training courses, like the green one etc. and the green one ran well, but the first red one crashed always at the same spot. Even that we had already a few more updates, I just can't be bothered anymore. Things like this plus the performance issues are not worth to waste my spare time on, so I just put the whole game aside and play games which just run better. ARMA-3 is my first ARMA-Title and will be for sure my last one.

Releases like this prevent people from pre-ordering other titles, as no one has money to burn.

:(

Performance has improved recently. I'm not getting the same freezing at the start of any mission load, or teleport to a new area. So well done BIS!

Performance has improved recently. I'm not getting the same freezing at the start of any mission load, or teleport to a new area. So well done BIS!

I was messing in the editor last night, 120 FPS :butbut:

Just been on an Escape Altis server and was getting a pretty much constant 60.

Just updated catalyst drives to 13.10 from 13.6, so I dunno how much that or the recent patch caused the FPS boost.

I'm running with default ultra settings, no changes.

Same here, a big boost in the frames for me aswell