Sign in to follow this  
hneel

Aa weapons.

I've been playing OFP for quite some time now, but there's one thing I still haven't mastered: the use of AA weapons. Carl Gustav, Strella, etc...

When I aim them and shoot, the always miss. They fly just to slow to get to the target on time. Same as with shooting LAW's or RPG's on flying objects. (My prefered way of shooting flying objects is a tank with a sabot).

How are you suposed to use these weapons? Are they suposed to seek the target in the air? But how?

only stinger and strela can have a lock-on ability on air target...

And first u must identify ("reveal" so) the air target as ennemy or u wont get a lock-on.

If u didnt lock the target u ll do a blind shot, like RPG as RPG75 and LAW (for carl gustav it can lock on target but only grounded (notice that a chopper/plane landed is a ground target).

For aiming i suggest u to launch your AA shot when the chopper is going straight on you by behind or forward, if the target is turning fast u ll miss.

For aiming at blank shot with classical RPG, i ll say it's possible but very hard to do if the target is moving very fast (or you are lucky).

For jetplane there's a special aiming about them, if u launch your AA while the plane is facing you, you ll probably miss becse the plane ll pass you very fast.So only shoot them at the rear.

For AA soldier the best thing to do is to hide behind a bush, or at a wall and aim the target just when it pass you, get the lock and fire *the pilot then ll not see the smoke of launching giving you the surprise effect*.

If you shoot the target by forward the chopper pilot still have time to do a dodge tactic i know:

a rolling battle barrel by upper/left-right *some player in MP wont believe that i dodged their AA, the AA missile got a very straight angle of aim: if u can oblige it to do more than 30° turn, it will unlock* ahaha LMAO biggrin.gif

Notice that for some chopper u must act as AA team *some chopper need several AA to be taken down* 2 AA men, or one AA men& one machinegunner:

-One AA shot: OH58, AH1, UH60 *depends if the motor stopped, i noticed the FFAR UH60 to be less armored than the machinegun... but cannot confirmed that*

-the heavy chopper that need 2 AA shot: all the russian chopper (hind *sometime 3AA is needed for the hind*, mi17, V80), chinook, AH64 *depends sometime motor fail done in one AA*.

-The plane.... well take a machinegun it's more efficient against a plane.... a plane can take up to 10 MG round. And all plane generally are taken down by an AA.

***oups i forgot... the strela need you to watch your fire till it get to the target... or it can unlock***

If your in a chopper and want to evade missiles, climb or descend rapidly, but if your in a jet, it's a bit harder biggrin.gif

AI have trouble hitting moving choppers. sad.gif

Yeah in OFP despite being slower choppers rule the air. Planes have trouble hitting ground targets accuratly and a squad with rifles can stitch em up good. Try the same thing to a chopper and ull get about 60 FFARs down ur ass

for Carl Gustv, its trajectory is slightly flatter and is slower in speed.

what you want to do is have some lead. i.e., when you aim, if the target is moving not directly to or from you, aim jst a bit to the front.

it takes Carl Gustav about 1 sec to fly 400meters.

I remember in the demo when you fired the Carl Gustav, not only you could lock on but the missile flew slightly erratically like a TOW launched one. Looked pretty cool. biggrin.gif

Do the aircraft have locational damage like the tanks do? I never thought they did, but recent discoveries are making me reconsider.

I've never seen an AA missile, except when toying about with the editor (I put myself in a Cessna with an enemy AA guy behind me. Fun). The first thing I hear about it is the explosion of my chopper.

You never hear them coming, but in the night you will see a ball of light coming towards you smile.gif

Its great fun putting about 50 on the ground and trying to kill them all without being shot down

Regarding the Carl Gustav, while it won't lock onto airborne targets, it can be guided after being fired.

If you have a big, slow-moving or even stationary target like a Mi-17, it is quite possible to hit it. It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but I've done it -- I'd say I can do it about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, but I also haven't practiced it.

Has anyone tried locking on with an AA weapon in 1.75? I haven't been able to lock on anymore in Resistance. If you do, which key binding is it that locks on... (I know I have to look through the viewfinder)

Dunno about the key, but right click on the mouse will lock (in resistance).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ejanvi @ Aug. 19 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dunno about the key, but right click on the mouse will lock (in resistance).<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, that used to work for me with AA weapons... OH, maybe in MP it doesn't work?

I will test now.

Yep, everything works ok, you just have to use the Reveal target button on the chopper for a while... then u can lock on.

Good grief, I had no idea that the reveal target actually did something. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

TAB is the shortcut key to lock. I don't fly/ drive using the mouse at all. thats the easiest way to crash.

so just press TAB to lock onto a target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Aug. 19 2002,14:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TAB is the shortcut key to lock. I don't fly/ drive using the mouse at all. thats the easiest way to crash.

so just press TAB to lock onto a target.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I know, TAB will not lock on with AA weapon unless you know or have revealed the target. So u need to use the Reveal Target button if your group doesn't know about it.

Also the right mouse button does more than TAB. You can lock on to any object using the RMB. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 19 2002,16:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarding the Carl Gustav, while it won't lock onto airborne targets, it can be guided after being fired.<span id='postcolor'>

Just tried it and it works. Lol. I have been playing this game for over a year and havn't noticed that biggrin.gif

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 19 2002,15wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 19 2002,16wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Regarding the Carl Gustav, while it won't lock onto airborne targets, it can be guided after being fired.<span id='postcolor'>

Just tried it and it works. Lol. I have been playing this game for over a year and havn't noticed that <!--emo&biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No kidding! Does this only work if you enable the guided AT in diffuculty? How do you guide it?

Well I cant lock the Charlie G on but I knew that it auto guided. But no one uses Charlie Gs or AT4s anyway, as they are overkill against a BMP Shilka or M113. And they wont kill a MBT so after one shot ur screwed, althogh if ur next to an ammo source they can be devastating.

Oh neat, you just hold the RMB when the CG is flying and move the mouse around. I would have not discovered this for a hundred years. smile.gif

Hmm, thats odd. I've downed a Mi-24 in one shot with a Strela. All I did was aim for the rotor assembly and the helicopter couldn't recover. In multiplayer the Mi-17 can seemingly withsand a Strela shot and still fly back home.

I'm surprised that so many of you didn't know that the CG can be guided using the mouse (I haven't tried the joystick, but that may work as well). Anyway, that's my contribution for the day then -- no charge! smile.gif

If I have a choice, I don't carry a CG myself, because as has been pointed out, it rarely knocks out a MBT with one shot, and you can't carry reloads. Still, sometimes that is all you have.

There's one MP mission by Firefox called "Arudy Road" that I used to play, and one of the roles was that of an AT guy with a CG. If I was assigned that role, I would use the CG to take out a sniper that liked to hang out on the second floor of the small village near the starting point of the mission. I'd launch the CG at the house and try to guide it through the window on the second floor... biggrin.gif