logitrust

ArmA 3 stops recognizing joystick as controller

It works in single player fine. Of course this is an Arma 3 problem every other game works. Joysticks work in singleplayer you think Windows treats the multiplayer side of Arma 3 differently? Of course not. It used to work in multiplayer as well. It is BIS responsibility to fix this issue, if not, say that its not compatible with Windows 8. I bet that will be great for sales.

None of the fixes that have been posted don't work. I shouldn't have to alter my registry for one game when everything else works. Not that I didn't try. Oh yeah and ill go out and buy windows 10, an operating system that hasn't been released yet. And then what? Every other game will work and if Arma 3 doesn't? Its still Microsoft's problem? BIS needs to take some responsibility and fix an obvious flaw in their own software.

None of the fixes that have been posted don't work

So they do work? Sorry, your double-negative confused me. FPDR

Googled warthog win8.1: Did you have the same problem with Win8.0?

3.9 Joystic, Warthog HOTAS - only main stick register input, not ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61417

Nov 21, 2014 - This was working fine in PB -> Beta 3.06 Issue: Possible to detect 2 gaming devices only? Windows 8.1. Gaming Devices - list as in same order ...

More results from forums.frontier.co.uk

=======

Thrustmaster Warthog Stick not being found - ED Forums

forums.eagle.ru › English › Sim Topics › Input and Output

Dec 25, 2013 - 10 posts - ‎5 authors

Thrustmaster Warthog Stick not being found Input and Output. ... Page 1 of 2, 1, 2 · > ... In Control panel I can see both the throttle and the stick but . ... to know if anyone else has TM Warthog working properly under Win 8.

Problems with Saitek X52 and Windows 8.1 10 posts 17 Mar 2014

Cougar MFD's and Windows 8.1 10 posts 18 Oct 2013

Very tiny problem with TM HOTAS Warthog throttle ... 5 posts 23 Feb 2013

DCS A-10C Warthog FAQ 3 posts 21 Feb 2011

More results from forums.eagle.ru

=======

MWO: Forums - Psa: Windows 8.1 Update And Target Users

mwomercs.com › ... › HARDWARE & ACCESSORIES

Oct 28, 2013 - 20 posts - ‎6 authors

There is a known issue with windows 8.1 and certain ASUS boards and the AI Utility Suite. ... Your MFD panels do not send any signals to the PC when not being used, ... I use a Thrustmaster Warthog on TARGET no issue.

======

[EM V2] New Pilot with odd joystick problem (Windows 8 ...

www.starwraith.com › StarWraith 3D Games Forum › Technical Support

Apr 6, 2013 - 15 posts - ‎9 authors

Now the problem about 1 out of 3 to 4 times I start the game my ship ... When this happens, open the Windows device menu and see visually what kind of input the device is returning. ... The problem is NOT game breaking but wanted to post it for developers and others. ... Windows8/Thrustmaster Warthog.

======

ArmA 3 stops recognizing joystick as controller [Archive ...

forums.bistudio.com › ... › ARMA 3 › ARMA 3 - TROUBLESHOOTING

Aug 31, 2013 - 98 posts - ‎71 authors

Hi, I can not use my joystick in ArmA 3 without problems. ... This could be a ArmA3 problem or a driver interfering with the Hotas Warthog Joystick and throttle. ..... Just now making this image I see that Win8.1 has forgotton my ...

======

HOTAS Setup idea... | TechPowerUp Forums

www.techpowerup.com › Forums › Software › Games

Aug 8, 2014 - 7 posts - ‎3 authors

Here is the thing, I have both the Thrustmaster Warthog and the Saitek X-52 Pro. ... When I plug it all back in, it sometimes gets recognized wrong (War Thunder). ... It may be due to the drivers not supporting Windows 8.1?

======

You can't just palm it off and say its a Windows 8 problem. All my controllers are recognised in Arma 3 single player, yet when I goto multiplayer they disappear (Yep Windows 8 just breaks just then?). I play Elite Dangerous, DCS, all those games you listed and they recognize the controllers just fine on my PC no issues.

Hello,

I have the same issue.

Thrustmaster hotas cougar is disappearing from the ARMA 3 controller list.

Most of the time it is during MP games but it can happen during SP game.

I strongly believe that the issue is coming from ARMA3 because when it happen if I ALT TAB back to desktop and look at the Hotas control panel and the joystick realtime analyser the joystick imputs are still perfectly registered there. As far as windows is concerned the cougar is still working normally and its inputs are detected, only ARMA3 doesn't see the cougar anymore...

Arma 3 needs to be restarted in order to see the cougar again.

I would love to get a solution for this as flying represent at least 30% of my current time in the game (over 1400 hours so far)

Regards.

I have found the source of this issue, see this post: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2931975

Small update

I have reproduced this issue successfully in a C++ console app. It's a DirectX memory-related issue. Basically, once you have used enough memory in your application, DirectX functions stop reporting ANY devices to the game. TrackIR is detected differently, I suppose, so it stays; but the game can't query for controllers anymore.

Here is a small executable to test (WARNING! You're downloading an executable file, do it at your own risk):

http://1drv.ms/1DQ5ptA [^]

Source of that program:

https://gist.github.com/DarkWanderer/3ac07a213bfc8a02932d [^]

I don't know why it is specific for Win 8, but it looks like an "endemic" DirectX problem indeed.

I suppose the only workaround would be to not query for devices when opening options - either optionally, or as a change to default behavior.

I can add to this:

I run WIN 8.1

My Logitech Attack 3 joystick works in Arma 2 but does not work in Arma 3.

It is clearly a problem with Arma 3 and not with Windows.

I can add to this:

I run WIN 8.1

My Logitech Attack 3 joystick works in Arma 2 but does not work in Arma 3.

It is clearly a problem with Arma 3 and not with Windows.

It's just that ArmA 2 does not try to re-detect controllers when in-game, which is when the problem occurs.

Still, it cannot be a Windows problem.

Still, it cannot be a Windows problem.

What makes you say so? Do you have any experience in C/C++, know windows API, know even how joysticks actually work? Did you run tests to show that some systems are affected and some are not?

I doubt that.

What makes you say so?

Because my joystick works in Arma 2. If Windows 8.1 was the problem it would not work in Arma 2.

It's just that ArmA 2 does not try to re-detect controllers when in-game, which is when the problem occurs.
Because my joystick works in Arma 2. If Windows 8.1 was the problem it would not work in Arma 2.

I suggest you try reading posts you're responding to next time.

I have a G13 gaming keyboard, and now that I think of it, ever since I built a new computer with Win 8.1, it acts strange. Sometimes when I'm doing something besides gaming, it will start shutting down, then starting back up. The screen will blank, then come back on. I have to go and end task the Logitech Gaming software for it to stop. It is plugged in to my front Usb 2.0 ports. Now that is a Windows problem, dont u think?!

hi guys

The problem is win 8 and 8.1

try this

Go to the peripheral manager

-> Interface Device

-> Find HID game controller that matches your joystick

---> Right click and Properties

----> Go to Details

-----> Raise the Number in the drop down menu "ownership" of access path to the instance of the device

-----> It should look like this USB \ VID_044F & PID_0402 \ 6 & 13F8D941 & 0 & 0000

Open the registry and go here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Enum \ USB

find the first part of the statement previously No. "VID_044F & PID_0402"

Develop a level and look for the second part of No. "13F8D941 & 6 & 0 & 0000"

Developer another level and click DEVICE PARAMETERS

In colone right look for the key "EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled"

made double click it and set the value to 0

Restart your machine.

Hopefully finished joystick disconnections in ARMA3

sorry for the translation

I tried this and had no luck with my Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. This is really frustrating, everything worked fine for several weeks then I started having problems all at once.

Sorry to add to your comments with no actual insight; however (ahem) 'me too' There's some small comfort in knowing we're not alone.

I have had many happy hours of Arma3 with CH Pro Pedals, X52 Pro Stick and TrackIR5 (all notably on Windows 7). I have just upgraded to new PC with Windows 8.1 and like many of you I initially appear to have all my extras enabled BUT then everything except TrackIR disappears as soon as I start to actually play either MP or SP. Tried most of 'easy' fixes as noted above with no joy.

I have a number of other games I previously used painlessly on my old PC (Arma2, DCS, Rise of Flight, ToH, ED) so I'll see how I get on with those and hopefully see if its an Arma3 only issue, or more to do with Windows 8 as some suggested. Apparently Win10 expected in Summer? Here's hoping.

It looks like we're down to 3 options:

1. BI makes a workaround - adds a command-line switch instructing game to not detect devices on opening options
  2. BI removes the feature for re-detecting devices on opening options
  3. Microsoft fixes the bug in DirectInput devices enumeration

I don't know which one is more likely to happen, but it's most probably not 3 :)

Don't suppose anyone has tried windows 10 to see if this issue is still persisting there? If not then I'd be inclined to say just tough it out until win 10 goes final.

And yes, I also get this issue and its bloody annoying.

Microsoft fixes the bug in DirectInput devices enumeration

Does anybody know why this is not a bug in Arma 2?

Does anybody know why this is not a bug in Arma 2?

As far as I know, it's because ArmA 2 does not detect devices on-the-go (mid-mission)

EDIT: Or perhaps it just uses less virtual memory

Edited by DarkWanderer

It looks like we're down to 3 options:

1. BI makes a workaround - adds a command-line switch instructing game to not detect devices on opening options
  2. BI removes the feature for re-detecting devices on opening options
  3. Microsoft fixes the bug in DirectInput devices enumeration

I don't know which one is more likely to happen, but it's most probably not 3 :)

I have the exact same problem with my joystick and it would be awesome if BI could implement some kind of optional toggle to disable the detection of new devices.

Never had a problem with this before. Playing online the other day and I found none of my controls were showing in the settings. Running on stable build, so it looks like whatever's causing the problem got copied from dev to stable with the last update, as people were reporting it was only a problem with dev build before.

I've had the issue of disappearing joysticks since I got Windows 8.1 they would only quit when I went into the options menu in game but now for some reason it's got to where one of my controllers will just quit working for some reason, but the rest of them work... and of course when I go into the options there's nothing there but Track Ir. :mad:

I've had the issue of disappearing joysticks since I got Windows 8.1

they would only quit when I went into the options menu in game

Which game is that?

Well those personal, rough test results are in... with Win 8.1 my CH Pro Pedals, X52 Pro Stick and TrackIR5 all appear to work happily with DCS, Rise of Flight, Take on Helis !!!, Elite Dangerous, MS Flight Sim X and X-Plane 10. But sadly not on Arma3 (the only game I really actually really play). Found an odd wrinkle in that A3 often -though not always- seems to accept my pedals IF I unplug my joystick before playing, but the same trick doesn't appear to work if I unplug my pedals instead.

It seems many of us are hanging on for Win 10 -which is at least imminent - though many of you have been waiting rather longer than myself. Well good luck guys, see you on the other side!

Edited by CharlesZulu