Sign in to follow this  
Onto

Build Fortification

Hi,

I face a quite simple problem in the editor but I can't solve it. Therefore I need your help.

I want to place a H-Barrier on top of a another H-Barrier.

It should look simular to this:

arma2oa2012112313555830.jpg

But that doesn't work. It looks like this:

1024x576.resizedimage

Thanks for your help.

That looks like the model is aligning itself to the surfaceNormal of the object below it.

Try something like

this setVectorUp (surfaceNormal (getPosATL this));

in its init box to align it to the terrain surface. You may then still need to adjust its Z value to make it look right.

Use this to make sure your object is straight up and down. :" this setVectorUp [0,0,1];" Actually use it on all objects. You don't want the bottom one doing something different. Then just set the height using this: "this setpos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, 2];" or "this setposASL [getposASL this select 0, getposASL this select 1, 1.9];"

One is height and other is height above sea level. Just change the last number to get the right height. The ASL will be useful for things that are over water or over other objects. If you have one H barrier below it it might cause issues. But I doubt it. But at least you have both for future reference.

I don't know if it applies to this as it doesn't look quite the same but I'm having to use this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableCollisionWith

with things now to put them close to/touching eachother, unlike in arma 2 where stuff could just overlap.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Actually ignore that, I have already placed hesco's in Arma 3 and they can overlap. I tried spawning in some wire fences though and they wouldn't push up to eachother or overlap at all.

Edited by clydefrog

Actually ignore that, I have already placed hesco's in Arma 3 and they can overlap. I tried spawning in some wire fences though and they wouldn't push up to eachother or overlap at all.

His problem isn't that hescos can't overlap it's that they can't overlap while placing them in the unsupported, unfinished 3D editor apparently. In otherwords a non-issue. :)

His problem isn't that hescos can't overlap it's that they can't overlap while placing them in the unsupported, unfinished 3D editor apparently. In otherwords a non-issue. :)

And this means no help should be offered? The shitty broken 3D-Editor is still lightyears ahead of the 2D one if you're going to be actually making an interesting area for players to be in.

Personally I wonder why so few people use it and why so little help is available, it's almost as if there's a stigma to even mentioning it.

Help has already been offered and he's already got several methods to work around it. The non-issue is that he's using something that isn't complete and isn't even part of the program. In ArmA2 you could specifically get to the editor via a hidden keystroke. In ArmA 3 you need to access it by intentionally trying to open a specific type of file. Obviously not an intended method of accessing part of the game.

The stigma is because it's difficult to start due to intentionally not being included as an accessible part of the program, doesn't work properly often and will not receive any improvement or support from BIS.

It's like going to an auto repair shop and asking people in the waiting room to explain why your nitrous oxide system isn't working right. You expect them to gladly help you since they all own cars and you're trying to do something with your car.

So first of all thx for your help.

I tried "this setPosition (this modelToWorld[0,0,10])" and also "this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1,1];"

This works in the 2D Editor but not in the 3D Editor in the init expression. I don't know why.

If I put it in the Ini Expression this error pops up

CE604D8144A15900E91407C7898D4281C38325AE

There is no missing ";". It works in the 2D-Editor.

I'm not really in the mood for building a big Base in the 2D-Editor again. I did that in Arma 2 and it took several days. It's a pain in the ass. Pressing preview. Quit. Preview..... Only cause you wanna see if the objects are in the right position.

Building walls, towers, etc. would be so much easier with the 3D-Editor.

I tested "RemoveallWeapons this;" same error message. The Initline in 3D-Editor is the "Init Expression" right? After "Info Age"?

Seems the Init in the 3D-Editor doesn't work at all? Or am I such a silly? O_o

Edit: ASL Height or disable collsotion won't work either.

Edited by Onto

have you tried Object Positioning System? it uses the splendid camera so you can line up and move objects around in a 3d environment. Can't recall how it handles objects on top of one another.

I understand the 3d editor is not fully functional no supported and you can only put objects down and if you have them off the ground they drop to ground when transferred to the 2d editor.