Sign in to follow this  
PN11A

CST- Cultural Support Team

Hey all, Im working on this mod just posting this as the opening post. CST the cultural support team will be a mod for woman soldiers conducting special operations activities. They will come with custom gear fit for just those characters. I am currently in class for Character design and creation so im using this as a chance to build a comprehensive mod for a3. The CST gear will include.

Helmet:

Crye Airframe

Ops Core ballistic model (maritime cut)

Body armor

LBT 6091

Crye CQC

Crye JPC

Uniform

Crye Combat shit and pants

Civilian shirts and pants.

Modest under garments

wetsuit

Standard military hair style

1 civilian hairstyle.

I look forward to posting screen shots as they become presentable.

Have a good un'

This will be interesting to follow indeed, women special forces? I didn't think that excisted but. Anyway looking forward to see some pics soon :)

*edit*

I would suggest you talk to bis and ask for their permission to use their female body model then you can rig them with the male skeleton if that isn't done already would save you a lot of time and would make you able to jump straight to the good stuff :D

Edited by astast

This will be interesting to follow indeed, women special forces? I didn't think that excisted but. Anyway looking forward to see some pics soon :)

*edit*

I would suggest you talk to bis and ask for their permission to use their female body model then you can rig them with the male skeleton if that isn't done already would save you a lot of time and would make you able to jump straight to the good stuff :D

Well, that is true but for the school project I have to model a female body from scratch. I also have to model clothing armor and everything else as part of the assignment. So it does me know good to start with a premade body because thats considered cheating. Also I like doing my own uv's from the start. My next class is intro to animation so i need to rig the character anyway.

As far as the female special operations. Just google cst and youll get all the public info about them. They are indeed a very special case.

Edited by PN11A

This will be interesting to follow indeed, women special forces? I didn't think that excisted but.

i'm happy as long as their titties jiggle.

seriously though. i can't wait for some females that can actually use weapons. apart from arma 3's super bad ass walking animation it should be fine using the male skeleton. just make sure you model her right on the skel so you won't have trouble later.

interesting project. can't wait to see pics.

i'm happy as long as their titties jiggle.

seriously though. i can't wait for some females that can actually use weapons. apart from arma 3's super bad ass walking animation it should be fine using the male skeleton. just make sure you model her right on the skel so you won't have trouble later.

interesting project. can't wait to see pics.

No problem I will be hitting you up for lots of advice from a technical aspect.

Will we see any weapons along with these units? :)

Edited by astast

I've been hoping someone would make CSTs since A2, so glad you're doing it :3

Good to see someone doing something about adding females rather than all the bickering about it.

Good luck, if it turns out well and is a good base for others to add equipment and uniforms it could be a must have mod, especially if BIS don't add them (and I don't think they will, they seem to see it as low priority)

If the clothing was set up to use the same texture map layout as male stuff then adding more camo patterns etc... could be easy

Have you anything planned about voices?

shit and pants
not sure about this bit though :D Edited by motorizer

Yes, yes, yes, female soldiers, good!

You have my 100 % attention and support!

First update.

I have been working on the base mesh parts and I started putting them together. Im using maya 2014/2013. Notes I have not attached the head and ear thats why there is no neck. I blocked out her nipple because of the no nudity policy. I did not model feet because her base undies will still wear shoes. So far coming along... I shall have hari and UV's done by next week and then I will begin zbursh and start putting clothing on her. 1 question are vest actual models themselves or are they modeled onto characters similar to the way uniforms work? will I have to model vest or just her with the vest and link it with an item?<a  href=http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3862/5w0j.jpg' alt='5w0j.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

uniforms are a bit like a whole unit was in arma 2 and vests are added to that. so a vest is a separate model but is weighted like the body. if you don't make her clothes too tight you should be able to use all the vanilla vests too. great start on the model. looks promising.

Im not sure how the vanilla vest will work with her bust size. I may just re scale that area and make it all smaller. i was modeling it based on the reference photo I was using. So I will make changes to the features for the final. Here is where it sits now Im going to uV it tomorrow and start on hair. I know alphas are supported by looking at millers hair so Ill probably use a card system.

<a  href=http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6757/eg0u.jpg' alt='eg0u.jpg'> Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Scaling the chest so that vanilla vests will work would save a ton of work, and mean that most vests added by modders in future will fit automatucally.

It's what I'd do.

Good going so far.

Nice job. The lack of females by default is a shame really.

Thinking about it, I wish there would be some diversity in body types and ages too.

Everything from kids to really old people.

It all adds to the overall feel of the game.

And realism.

Realistically, the breast would compress underneath the vest, so the chest girth would be less prominent. Isn't it possible to do some magic with hidden selections in that regard? I think what'd be more problematic irl is the chest to waist ratio, which was one of the reasons why the US Army introduced specialized female IOTVs.

I think we can also anticipate there being female head models for Arma 3's release (at least I hope so...), will you use those if they are indeed in, or will you do entirely custom heads for these?

one criticism. the hands especially the palms around the thumb joint look a bit too flat. they need more volume.

about the the breasts. you could just do it in stages. make them normal size with underwear a bit more "compressed" with your uniform. that way the vests wouldn't fit as well with just underwear underneath but better with a uniform on. and who cares about vests over underwear, right? unless this is about having a pretty dress me puppet...

if you then compensate with general less chest (only ribcage) size you could end up close to what the male "chest volume" is now. this is a matter of balance.

and to be honest i'd do some ingame tests before the UV part. even finish the uniform model first too. that way you can deform and tweak until it's perfect without messing up your UVs all the time. same goes for making it fit the male skeleton.

and when you have a good balance and everything fits and performs well ingame, you can start UVing and texturing.

one criticism. the hands especially the palms around the thumb joint look a bit too flat. they need more volume.

about the the breasts. you could just do it in stages. make them normal size with underwear a bit more "compressed" with your uniform. that way the vests wouldn't fit as well with just underwear underneath but better with a uniform on. and who cares about vests over underwear, right? unless this is about having a pretty dress me puppet...

if you then compensate with general less chest (only ribcage) size you could end up close to what the male "chest volume" is now. this is a matter of balance.

and to be honest i'd do some ingame tests before the UV part. even finish the uniform model first too. that way you can deform and tweak until it's perfect without messing up your UVs all the time. same goes for making it fit the male skeleton.

and when you have a good balance and everything fits and performs well ingame, you can start UVing and texturing.

Thanks for the crit on the hands Im still learning to see flat spots and adjust them I can sit here and tweek with the verts all day its that many errors. That makes sense I need to adjust my thinking a bit I keep forgetting that the body is a different model per uniform. What im not following is how can you do in game test with no textures? I thought the model would show up invisible I had that problem with my airframe as well. For the chest volume I will in take the male model and see how much volume there is in comparison to the female model.

Im ready to get this into zbrush though and start sculpting thats the purpose of laying out those uv's first.

I thought the model would show up invisible I had that problem with my airframe as well.

that was probably a model.cfg issue. untextured models generally show up white. and you can also assign simple colours in o2 instead of textures if you want.

Im ready to get this into zbrush though and start sculpting thats the purpose of laying out those uv's first.

oh i see. ignore what i said then. unless...you are just sculpting fine detail for textures. because then it still applies. it's always better to have a status quo that deforms well with the skeleton ingame when it comes to pure geometry, before starting the textures (talking about organic stuff) because it can become a nightmare when you have to start adjusting and deforming parts and thus causing stretches on the UVs.

not trying to school you or anything. just sharing some mistakes i made myself when i made my alien for arma 2. maybe it helps you. just make sure to have the animation part covered before you finalize everything.

Yes I agree totally, fortunatly this base model was made for a character design and creation class the instructors force us to model for animation only. So no triangles in areas that deform very specific edge loops and also very carefully placed vertex density. I added extra edge loops on top of the normal edge loops for animation because im not familar with the skeleton of ARMa. Im also saving in stages so that I can just jump back to the last stage to fix something. Uv mapping doesnt really take any time in MAYA so im not worried about it I use it as a break to think about the next step. So my work flow will go maya brush sculpt, retopologize in zbrush then export to p3d for animation.I could animate it now but when I change the topo it might effect it in a negative way.

: you have any links to animating and painting weights in ARMA?

Edited by PN11A