Sign in to follow this  
gnc_lord_mdb

Hide unnecessary error messages

Are there since the update 0.74 now any possibility to hide the nonsensical error message?

I get numerous error messages that result no sense and just disturb the players.

The scripts run error-free, only that new messages are shown continuously.

If there's a new you command switches off the message would be good if you would write to me.

Error Undefined variable in expression: xxxxxxxxx

If the scripts are error-free you should not be getting those errors :)

If the scripts are error-free you should not be getting those errors :)

What he said.

The only non-sensible errors that you see are logged into your RPT file but do not show in-game. If it shows in-game then it is a real error, 99.99% of the time directly related to the mission you are playing (at least if you're not using mods).

What he said.

The only non-sensible errors that you see are logged into your RPT file but do not show in-game. If it shows in-game then it is a real error, 99.99% of the time directly related to the mission you are playing (at least if you're not using mods).

exactly.

Before the 0.74 update, there was an error displays when the real fault. Now everything is displayed regardless of whether the map is running 100%.

I don't think you understand, if it's an error message from BIS code I'd post a ticket. If it's not it's either a problem with your mission or an addon.

Nothing was changed in terms of error reporting for script fuctions AFAIK, so I'd suggest checking your code to make sure it's correct to the updates in 0.74

Posting the error would probably help.

0.74 just seemed to break a lot of user missions and unlike A2 where you had to turn on -showscripterrors to see these errors A3 shows them regardless

Bottom line - the mission your playing is most likely the culprit - petition/ask the author to fix it.

I don't think you understand, if it's an error message from BIS code I'd post a ticket. If it's not it's either a problem with your mission or an addon.

Nothing was changed in terms of error reporting for script fuctions AFAIK, so I'd suggest checking your code to make sure it's correct to the updates in 0.74

Posting the error would probably help.

There has been some changes. The scripting engine is much less tolerant to undeclared variables now. It was tough at first getting used to this when it was introduced, partly because we weren't told about it in advance.

There is a command to turn off reporting and the rpt altogether, Dwarden mentioned it recently, but I didn't and don't recommend it - when the 'check engine' light comes on in my car, the absolute last thing I'm going to do is take the bulb out.

I'm fine with this new undefined variable error reporting to an extent (it shouldn't be forced as some people who have no interest in scripts and editing just want to play the game and they shouldn't have to put up with it), but I think if BIS are going to force this for the reason of people improving their scripts, they should set an example by not having undefined variables in their own code.

example:

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/9405/hdbl.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/7191/7fag.jpg

Edited by clydefrog

When you encounter undefined variable in the official content, could you please report it on feedback tracker? We're doing out best to eliminate all remaining errors, but some of them may slip through.

I tried to fix the error you mentioned, but I'm unable to reproduce it without specific repro steps :(

Just put a trigger down with activation : Radio Alpha

condition: this

onAct: [] call BIS_fnc_animViewer

and then 0-0-radio alpha

Also pressing escape while in the editor then clicking Animations, the messages also come up when entering the animation viewer that way.

I'm using the stable version by the way.

Edited by clydefrog

There's a button in the Debug Console which opens the anim viewer. In won't get easier than that ;)

As for the error, I'm still unable to reproduce, everything works just fine even with trigger execution. I added some safety nets to the scripts anyway, so it shouldn't be happening anymore after the next dev build update.

but I think if BIS are going to force this for the reason of people improving their scripts, they should set an example by not having undefined variables in their own code.

Zing! :p

There's a button in the Debug Console which opens the anim viewer. In won't get easier than that ;)

As for the error, I'm still unable to reproduce, everything works just fine even with trigger execution. I added some safety nets to the scripts anyway, so it shouldn't be happening anymore after the next dev build update.

I edited my post, it gives the same errors running it from the debug console.

I'm also using the stable build, not the dev build which I assume you're using.

Also Moricky I'd like to know what you think of these messages being forced for people who just want to play the game and are not editors, e.g. people who might just go and download a mission from here or armaholic to play with some friends. You might say if the mission maker had written his scripts better they wouldn't have to deal with it but there is nothing the regular players can do about that, they will just be put off from playing due to all these big black boxes full of code coming up that they don't understand a word of. Mission makers should use it, but all normal players care about is if the mission works, and if it does despite some variables being undefined that don't actually break anything as far as those players can tell, that's all that matters to them.

Edited by clydefrog

Here are a few example of the scripts and functions 100% now take emit error message.

There are 20 players per side,w1-w20 and E1-E20

for "_i" from 1 to 20 do
{
_pl = false;
_pl = [] call compile format ["(isplayer W%1)",_i];
if (_pl) then
{
	_name = [] call compile format ["name W%1",_i];
	_ID = [] call compile format ["getPlayerUID W%1",_i];
	_playernames_west = _playernames_west + [_name+"["+_ID+"]"];
};

_pl = false;
_pl = [] call compile format ["(isplayer E%1)",_i];
if (_pl) then
{
	_name = [] call compile format ["name E%1",_i];
	_ID = [] call compile format ["getPlayerUID E%1",_i];
	_playernames_east = _playernames_east + [_name+"["+_ID+"]"];
};
};

since the update there is now error message, even though the script runs clean

if (_pl) then

{

_name = [] call compile form>

Error position: <_pl) then

{

_name = [] call compile form>

Error Undefined variable in expression: _pl

File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Stratis\client\RscOutro\onload.sqf, line 12

One solution I've tried from other users with nil has not brought the desired success

And I can now carry on one page like this.

Since the update there are only such nonsense.

This is no error message at most alerts message

Edited by [GNC]Lord_MDB

_pl = [] call compile format ["(isplayer W%1)",_i];

_pl will be undefined if a unit of name W# does not exist. You have all your slots named but if there is not actually anyone in them this code will fail.

You can try

if (!(isnil "_pl") && { _pl}) then

Dependant on other stuff maybe but if your looping around all players and just separating them off into vars based on their side then maybe a better way to do it would be to loop around all known currently connected. Something like

{
if(isPlayer _x) then {
	_name = name _x;
	_id = getPlayerUID _x;
	switch (side _x) do
	{
		case west: {_playernames_west = _playernames_west + [_name+"["+_ID+"]"];};
		case east: {_playernames_east = _playernames_east + [_name+"["+_ID+"]"];};
	};
};
}forEach playableUnits;

Why so much call compile format :confused:

because the simplest way is to convert a string

Search for 8 hrs, I hope now zuhaben fixed all error messages.

hope next update again not to get a nasty surprise.

Edited by [GNC]Lord_MDB

Instead of call compile format you should be able to use

_pl = missionNameSpace getVaraible [format ["W%1",_i], objNull];
if (!(isNull _pl) then

Also, once _pl is defined and checked for not being objNull, you can just use name _pl, getPlayerUID _pl, etc...

The thing that really bugs me about this is that we cant turn it off... its really intrusive to those that don't script. And especially the fact that most of the undefined variable errors are erroneous, and the scripts are still Fully Functional!!!.. It NEEDS to be Toggle-able.... SERIOUSLY!!!!

Edited by Lordprimate