Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Your tourists are a shame for your country

Research published today by Expedia.co.uk, the UK’s leading online travel service, shows that around the world the Germans are the most welcome foreign visitors and Brits are the least, scoring worst in all but one of five key criteria: their behaviour; politeness; willingness to learn the lingo; enthusiasm to try the local delicacies; and how much money they put into the local economy.

Expedia.co.uk asked tourist offices in 17 of the most popular national and international holiday destinations, from the Cote d’Azur to Cyprus, Paris to Prague, San Francisco to Sydney, to rank different nationalities of travellers.  And it’s the Germans, who spend an incredible 800 million nights abroad  every year, who rate highest, with Brits propping up the table of the 24 most liked and disliked nationalities.  The research found:

· Overall, Germans have been voted the world’s best tourists, followed by Americans and Japanese.  Brits scored worst of any country mentioned, followed by Israelis and Irish.

· Germans are the best behaved, beating the respectful Japanese and the Spanish.  The worst behaviour can be expected from the British, Irish and Danes.

· ‘Have a nice day’ Americans are the most polite, out-charming Germans and Japanese.  Britons are judged to be the rudest, followed by Russians and the usually placid Canadians.

· Germans rank highest for attempting to speak the local language, followed by the French and rather surprisingly, Americans.  The British make the least effort, preferring to simply talk louder in English.  Russians and the Spanish are similarly mono-lingual.

· Italians are most likely to try the local delicacies, followed by the Spanish and Germans.  Brits, Indians and fast-food loving Americans are the least gastronomically adventurous.

· Americans have the local restaurateurs, taxi drivers and souvenir shop owners ringing their hands as they spend and tip the most. The Japanese and Russians have the next deepest pockets.  Germans are deemed to be the meanest, more so than Brits and New Zealanders.

THE STATISTIC

Rank The World’s Best Tourists Points

1=41 Germans            

2=32 Americans

3=24 Japanese            

4=10 Italians            

5=5 French            

5=5 Norwegians

5=5 Swedish            

8=4 Spanish            

8=4 Canadians

10=3 Chinese              

10=3 Thais              

10=3 Dutch            

13=-1 Brazilians              

13=-1 Danes              

13=-1 Polish              

16=-2 Russians              

17=-3 Argentineans  

17=-3 New Zealanders  

17=-3 Czechs              

17=-3 Finnish            

21 -4 Indians            

22-6 Irish            

22 -6 Israelis            

24-44 British            

hehe, time for you to participate and change the stats! who are the worst tourists in the world, VOTE And tourist flaming is welcomed! tounge.gif

Americans going from one part of the country to another part are annoying. So I just have to assume they aren't very liked around the world. Since a lot of ppl don't like us anyway biggrin.gif

Swedish people have quite a bad reputation in Austria. This is due to the fact that the majority are teenagers that go there to ski. They always get very drunk and start making trouble.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 02 2002,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Americans going from one part of the country to another part are annoying.  So I just have to assume they aren't very liked around the world.  Since a lot of ppl don't like us anyway  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well the girls are okay, especially the younger ones at the age of 19/20. They think all europeans are romantic and stuff and it is really easy to fascinate them! tounge.gif And some of them look really sweet and smile a lot!

Tourism is a great source of revenue, but tourists in general are just annoying. I think it is the mentality, plus they just seem so backwards because they visit places that you have no interest in and get excited over things that are normal to you. For instance, I saw some Japanese tourists downtown when a frieght train went buy. They went berserk and took like 500 pictures of it. The Japanese have the bullet train, why do they get excited over our lumbering diesel frieght trains?

I'm surpried that the Germans were the best tourists. The impression I have/had of them is that they are very unwilling to try the food of other cultures. I live in an area that is mostly made up of people with German backgrounds. Most of the resturants serve the basic meat and potatoes and whut not, there is not a single good seafood resturant in town, and thats about it. This is in the nearby city to my hamlet, which has a population of over 300 000 people.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ Aug. 02 2002,04:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For instance, I saw some Japanese tourists downtown when a frieght train went buy. They went berserk and took like 500 pictures of it. The Japanese have the bullet train, why do they get excited over our lumbering diesel frieght trains?<span id='postcolor'>

cuz they don't have it there?

since they have bullet trains, it's hard to take picture, while american trains are slower and can be easier in taking photos.

All I know is that my favorite place in the world is Spain. Its like Texas in some ways, but in others its way different. Its got a nice and laid back vibe going on, and the food is really good (paella anyone?). I guess when (if) Im a rich old codger Ill buy a place on the Spanish Riviera, either near Barcelona or down in Andalucia. Thats God's country

if you are younger how about participating in running of the bulls? tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

on serious note, I can't decide because I never had chance to compare tourists in LA. so I casted a null vote.

Its insulting to be grouped as "Britain" the scots are reputably one of the freindliest nations, and is duely noted when it comes to football. We are great hosts, and excellent visitors.

Germans the best tourists... What the hell? I like the germans, don't get me wrong, as long as they stay in their own country. wink.gif

Having spent four hours in a bus with a bunch of germans yelling like crazy at each other, I was ready to be committed to an insane asylum. I like tourists who are quiet, like the japanese. It fits our finnish culture. We are very quiet people, so we don't like it when those foreigners come here and yell. Otherwise you're all welcome (just be quiet).

A funny joke springs to mind. My friend once heard some germans wondering loudly in Lapland: "I wonder why all the buildings are brand new?" So my friend went over there and said: "Because you burned the old ones..." biggrin.gif

Germany has very hot girls I think thats what this all comes down to. To prove this look at the UK girls... bad teeth biggrin.gif

sssshhhhhhhhhh...........dont tell anyone. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Aug. 02 2002,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A funny joke springs to mind. My friend once heard some germans wondering loudly in Lapland: "I wonder why all the buildings are brand new?" So my friend went over there and said: "Because you burned the old ones..."  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ROFLMAO!!! biggrin.gif

Touché. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aren't there extremly hot girls in Isreal too scout?

<span id='postcolor'>

*coughs modestly* errrr....yeah, you can say so.

Israelis are like americans, alone they are quite nice and polite, but in groups? god forbid

Well even just watching the news you will see Israeli police or they are in the military I cant tell, anway alot of them were good looking. Then I always wonder how you guys get woman like that in police military whatever it is. I actually have never noticed an Israeli tourist in the US.

well, maybe im just bitching but the best looking gals in the IDF go to the MP (cause MP's represent the IDF), or to the IAF. we poor legs had to stay with girls that are......challenged wink.gif . although there are slips now and then and we get some beauties.

there is even a joke: how gals are chosen for Infantry brigades? they pass the APC test. you put them behind a M-113, and if you see parts of their bodies sticking to the sides, they pass ! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I actually have never noticed an Israeli tourist in the US.<span id='postcolor'>

see my point? LOL tounge.gif

i used to work as guide the summer from 1987 to 1991

i've worked in many various places , from paris to marseille

the most funny tourists are the asian ones , they are fascinated by europe , and the idea they have of it are simply ridiculous , like someone said before they have a big tendancy to take everything in photo , i think they are also the most polite and the most sympathic during 2 hours visits i made lots of friends, but one thing with the asians : they get easily lost , that's why i always asked another guide to go back to verify if we didn't lost some people

the europeans are more biased , they are more disciplined than the asian people , but it mainly depends of the age , young europeans are more annoying than young asians , but adults are nice , their less generous at the end of the visit and they are more cold , they don't waste photos

the north americans are funny , it sometimes happend that i didn't even understand what they were saying , they are less biased than the europeans but more than the asians , they got many cliches in their heads and are sometimes really undisciplined , they often do things like they would do when they are in their own country

the russian tourists ...... newly rich people , nothig interesting , they waste their money really easily , not any class , sometimes obscene , they speak loud and the lack of respect

some african tourists sometimes , they're funny because some of them speak in french , and we don't limit our discution to the visit , they're more disciplined than we think , really sympathic too , maybe my favourite

African tourists are very very nice indeed. (except the white decadence from South Africa). Most of them are very careful in order not to be too noisy, too complicated or too much of a stranger. And they usually help you with a smile and tolerance! 1A

Russian tourists are the worst motherfuckers in the world! (I speak about the 5star segment here). They think they are the kings of the world and just because they are rich they want you to look up to them like a Albert Einstein. But their brain is tiny, their education terrible, they have no manners and bad taste and their wifes dress like whores. It is no question where their money comes from! So most of them still insist in paying a junior Suite for 800$ per day in cash. So silly! And all this happens while many in this country are still so poor! I know it is not representative but those are the russians you get if a room costs 450$ a night minimum.

French have a very good knowledge of what they can expect and especially about Restauration. Dont tell them bullshit if you dont know what you are talking about. But they still got this colonial weakness that they dont understand that people smile at them for money and not admiration.

Germans are so and so! The  good thing is that they change 100% once they are on holiday. So you can actually meet decent ones. But at home they all are terrible pessimists   sad.gif

The scandinavians are nice people with a good taste and sensitivity on how to behave and where to stay away from. They dress well and have the capability to find the best spots of the island in just a few days ( without ruining it). Only one little disadvantage. ALCOHOL, if they drink they get the worst of all! Uncontrollable and agressive.

Americans are generally funny and happy people. They rarely criticise and are willing to listen if there are any complications. But This Money-complex sucks. If they are furious they try to threaten you with money, if they try to impress you they tell you about their money, if want to be entertained they think they need money... always money. Can be somewhat hurtful if you feel the other person thinks you are nice just because of money.

There was a convention once in the resort in Asia where I worked. They needed brochures cause theirs had important errors. So I spend an afternoon to develope a brochure with MS-publisher for them. I told them that it was fun to do it and fun to help them and if they like it. They liked it and so I organised a printing shop a.s.o.

And in the end the guy took the brochures out of my hand and handed me over some money without looking at me or thanking me! I was damn furious about that but I think I said something like: "no thanks sir, a helping hand doesnt cost anything outside US". He wasnt anoyed or something like that about my rude comment, in contrast, he was ashame and apologised for it. That was nice.  smile.gif

The italians usually have the most beautiful wifes in the range 30+. thats all I can say!

The greek constantly want to tell you stories!

The english, well they are decent people in the 5star category.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 02 2002,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The italians usually have the most beautiful wifes in the range 30+. thats all I can say!<span id='postcolor'>

oooooooooh yeah .... this is because of that my tourism guide career ended ..........

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Aug. 02 2002,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 02 2002,17:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The italians usually have the most beautiful wifes in the range 30+. thats all I can say!<span id='postcolor'>

oooooooooh yeah .... this is because of that my tourism guide career ended ..........<span id='postcolor'>

Dont tell me it is what I think it is, no you didnt, no way! tounge.gif